Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wad for 25-20 WCF (Read 592 times)
rhbrink

Wad for 25-20 WCF
Aug 24th, 2017 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I've been shooting a 25-20 WCF lately and not using a card or wad in the case mouth but dang it sure is hard to seat the case in the chamber without dumping some powder. Just wondering what most of the 25-20 WCF shooters do? Do you use a wad in the case mouth? I worry about ringing the chamber with the wad and I was thinking floral foam?

RB

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Re: Wad for 25-20 WCF
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
RB

I use floral foam but there are several types.  I use what I can get at Wallyworld.  It is the green stuff.  Cutting it to a uniform thickness is a trick or buy a retro cheese slicer.   I don't think there is a ringing problem but others my have a different opinion.  I am a klutz so I use it with all my breech seating cartridges. 

Dave

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Floral supply shops generaly have the best price and there are generally two types wet and dry and one being more user friendly to use than the other. I always preferred the dry but I also used very little and it is far from being my field of expertice and hopefully Jerry Hartwig will chime in.

JLouis

IP Logged

JerryH
Senior Forum Member

AKA Jerry_H

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
I don't use a wad in my 25-20 WCF. My friend Rich Davis uses floral foam in the mouth of his case and it works well for him, although I think he stopped using a wad recently.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

bnice
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I use floral foam and cut it with a fence on my band saw.

IP Logged

old7groove
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Several years ago I conducted pressure tests using various wad materials, cork, fiber card stock and floral foam. Wads placed on the mouth of the cases of many caliber cartridges did not effect any significant change to the time pressure curve, rise time or area under the curve. When the wad is seated on the powder using cork or fiber wads random pressure increases and reduced rise times occurred, with the exception of floral foam wads .200 - .250 thick.
A band saw also works well for slicing.
BWDARR

IP Logged

OkeyMaple
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
My results are encouraging* using the wet f.f. available from WalMart, 1/4" thick sliced with my 10' filet knife in a mitre box to hold it in position.
I've tested both wet & dry. A "plug" of the wet pulled from a 25-20WCF case before firing, when ignited by a Bic flame, immediately turns to "dust". I did the same test with the dry f.f. and with "pipe insulation" ............. when ignited they formed plastic like globs.
No reason to not use paper, veggie or cork wads, but the f.f. is so much easier. No signs of chamber ringing. No muss - no fuss.
* I'm beginning to get targets in the mid to upper 240's. Almost competitive.

In God We Trust

IP Logged

rhbrink

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply's I appreciate the help.

RB

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 8:37am
Print Post  
I dont know how many times I have to say this, Its not the wad that causes the problem in most cases, it's the shape of the charge. Cork, card or foam as long as you dont put it down on the powder it wont hurt your barrel.
Of course if you overcharge you will ring the chamber but you will not hurt the chamber with a wad as long as you dont put it down on the powder to hold it to the bottom of the case.

40 Rod

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2019 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
... and not using a card or wad in the case mouth but dang it sure is hard to seat the case in the chamber without dumping some powder.
A pinch of cotton works for me with every caliber I shoot. It is fully burned up on ignition because cotton burns at around 400 F.  Plus a bad of cotton balls costs a buck at Big Lot

Regards
John
IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
John,

I'll guarantee you that cotton won't burn.  If even a newspaper wad directly over the powder charge won't even show scorch marks, then cotton for sure won't burn...  The contact time is too small for it to burn.

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2019 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  

Quote:
I'll guarantee you that cotton won't burn.

Cotton - Fire point (the temperature at which it will continue to burn for at least 5 seconds after ignition - 210 C (410 F)
*Nitrocellulose (smokeless powder) ignites at 160-170 C (338 F)

*Black powder ignites @ approx. 427C (801F).

Regards
John
IP Logged

beltfed
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
The key point re. cotton(0r paper patch paper) is "after ignition". It needs
more than a microsecond of flash-as in hit by the powder burn to get up to ignition point. Key observation, my patch material is ejected/"peels off" of my PP bullets as i shoot
my BP loads at about 1400fps.-  The shards of paper have no scorching- they are still white as the unfired bullet patches.
Also, no apparent ignition of the paper from my PPed smokeless loads from
my 358 win-2350fps, or my 375 HH Imp at ove 2700fps.
When I started breech seating my bullets for my 25-20wcf,

Meanwhile, I have found an alternative to floral foam
(foamed polystyrene) and its requirement to slab it off into 1/4" or whatever thickness from which to cookie cut the wads:
"Fanfold" house wrap/underlayment-- it is about 0.200" thick and is also foam polystyrene. It is used-stapled to sheathing before one installeds vinyl siding,etc. Available at building material outlets such as Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's.
I simply peel the polystyrene film skin from it before I cookie cut wads into my loaded/inside chamfered cases.  Only problem is that the packages of this product are rather large-as in multi-lifetime supply. I got lucky in that I had leftover pieces after doing a vinyl siding job on a rental house I had.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

OkeyMaple
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Arnie,
Have you tried putting a flame to the foam after it has been peeled? Does the foam turn into dust or into a plastic-like glob?
Thanks. Ray

In God We Trust

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint