Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) hepburn rescue (Read 1648 times)
steel-pounder
Junior Forum Member

hepburn rescue
Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Hi all,  I have a very badly miss treated Hepburn in my possession, serial number 3092. and chambered for 45.70. It was rusted almost to the point of being a solid piece of metal. Over the last several weeks I have managed to get everything freed up and functioning. And I believe most of the parts are still useable. The barrel is hopeless but could be relined and used to keep the original barrel or just rebarreled. anyway do to severe pitting I am thinking of doing a plumb brown finish to simulate the rusting and leaving the provenance of this piece instead of welding the worst pits and filing the action smooth again. Wondering what the thoughts of others are?

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: hepburn rescue
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
steel-pounder,

Luckily, Hepburn's have lots of metal to work with, I've never agreed with the notion of trying to make an old rifle look new again, I much prefer pits and dark spots to polished purple. I like my guns to have that comfortable "lived in look."  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:51pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
It's your rifle, you should do what makes you happy.
I very much like your idea of a "sympathetic" restoration.
Shiny stuff worries me, but I like it too.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Hepburns are known uglies. Rust won't hurt the looks. Can we see it? We won't laugh or make smart remarks. We like ugly single shot rifles here.

Bob, what is your ugliest rifle? I mean really ugly. Maybe I should start a thread.

Joe.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Joe,

It isn't polite to hijack a thread, but since you asked for it, this is my 20 bore Cape Buffalo Rifle;

IP Logged

steel-pounder
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah that is what I was thinking. no wood on mine but was going to "distress" the timber to go along with the rest of it. Ill take some WIPpictures and post. didnt think to take any of the rusted hulk before I started the electrolisis.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I didn't really hijack it. Only half hijacked it. I put some nice polite stuff in those posts.  I got your twenty bore gun beat all to hell. Look at this one! Ed Brown slug gun in the all time ugly dishonorable lowly .39 caliber. Top that!

By the way, Bob, you're an Accessory.

Joe.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 6:29pm by westerner »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
steel-pounder wrote on Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:57pm:
Yeah that is what I was thinking. no wood on mine but was going to "distress" the timber to go along with the rest of it. Ill take some WIPpictures and post. didnt think to take any of the rusted hulk before I started the electrolisis.

Can't wait.

Joe.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 12:25am
Print Post  
steel-pounder wrote on Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:56pm:
anyway do to severe pitting I am thinking of doing a plumb brown finish to simulate the rusting and leaving the provenance of this piece instead of welding the worst pits and filing the action smooth again. Wondering what the thoughts of others are?

Never thought rust pits were considered provenance, or anything I'd want to keep. I'm not a fan of restored guns, but some guns are too far gone to leave as they are found. And more so if the wood is gone, and it needs replacement.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

40-82Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 8:43am
Print Post  
SP, this sounds like an interesting plan. Looking forward to seeing the "final" results.

IP Logged

steel-pounder
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:27am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 12:25am:
steel-pounder wrote on Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:56pm:
anyway do to severe pitting I am thinking of doing a plumb brown finish to simulate the rusting and leaving the provenance of this piece instead of welding the worst pits and filing the action smooth again. Wondering what the thoughts of others are?

Never thought rust pits were considered provenance, or anything I'd want to keep. I'm not a fan of restored guns, but some guns are too far gone to leave as they are found. And more so if the wood is gone, and it needs replacement.

part of my thinking of this is to remove the biggest part of the rust pits I am afraid I will have to thin the receiver too much to get them all out.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 11:16am
Print Post  
steel-pounder wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:27am:
part of my thinking of this is to remove the biggest part of the rust pits I am afraid I will have to thin the receiver too much to get them all out.

I have a young fella who's father is a certified welder, and taught his son to weld. He's in college locally and does all sorts of welding out of their garage for cash. I've had him weld up bad pits after I draw file the shallow ones out. Usually charges me $20-$30, but occasionally it's run up near $100 for a lot of welding.
After it's finished, I draw file again, and then polish it and send it off for CCH. He uses a mild steel filler, so the tig weld isn't a PITA to draw file, and CCH nicely.

Vall

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 30th, 2017 at 6:24pm:
I didn't really hijack it. Only half hijacked it. I put some nice polite stuff in those posts.  I got your twenty bore gun beat all to hell. Look at this one! Ed Brown slug gun in the all time ugly dishonorable lowly .39 caliber. Top that!

By the way, Bob, you're an Accessory.

Joe.

Joe   how do you shoot that thing???? Upside down !!!
I didn't see any Side Sights ????  Thats a late 1800s trick gun LoL   over the shoulder shooter  Wink Grin Grin Grin Smiley

Ol Deuce

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
The regular way.  Looks bad but is shot like all rifles. While we're waiting check this one out. A Ed Brown FBW rifle. Note the stock work. Classic Ed Brown.

Joe.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Well, in years to come, restoration on that one will be a piece of cake. Just toss it behind the seat in your pickup and in a few months it'll be as good as new. Smiley

IP Logged

steel-pounder
Junior Forum Member

Reply #15 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 12:35am
Print Post  
hey all forged out the upper and lower tangs today and got the lower tang tig welded to the trigger bow and rough filed to shape. here are some pictures of the action after cleanup but before welding and the welded tang.

receiver and trigger bow rust mostly cleaned up. broken tangs.

forged tangs

side view of tangs. still oversize.

lower tang welded to trigger bow. and shape refined.

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Junior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:50am
Print Post  
nice work, but you know that already, gives me hope.  David

IP Logged

steel-pounder
Junior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:04am
Print Post  
thank you sir.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #18 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Did you mill the recess into the inside of the lower tang for the mainspring yet?

Vall

IP Logged

steel-pounder
Junior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Yes, I just have to locate, drill and tap the holes now.

IP Logged

tdmidget

Reply #20 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
What does "forged out the upper and lower tangs" mean? If they broke off I would make sure that action is steel and not malleable iron like a Hopkins and Allen I have and keep dreaming of making a steel receiver for.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
tdmidget wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:37pm:
What does "forged out the upper and lower tangs" mean? If they broke off I would make sure that action is steel and not malleable iron like a Hopkins and Allen I have and keep dreaming of making a steel receiver for.

All Hepburns are forged steel, not cast iron. Forged steel doesn't mean you can't break it. It simply means it's tougher to break. I've seen numerous rifles with 2 piece stocks that had broken tangs from the owner falling and landing across the receiver, which broke the stock and tang(s).

Vall

IP Logged

steel-pounder
Junior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:00am
Print Post  
tdmidget wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:37pm:

I have some iron bar from the same era as this receiver. so I forged some of it into the same siz/shape as the tangs. Then tig welded them onto the receiver and trigger bow and filed to the proper shape.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Sounds like a proper fix. The top tang is notably weak due to the large screw-hole for the stock mounting screw, which is also a good place for rust to form. Breaking the lower tang is tougher to do. One of my Hepburns had a very nice receiver, but the trigger guard was almost rusted away. Must have been some sort of galvanic corrosion going on over the years which resulted in same.

Glenn

IP Logged

steel-pounder
Junior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 11:53am
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:35am:
Sounds like a proper fix. The top tang is notably weak due to the large screw-hole for the stock mounting screw, which is also a good place for rust to form. Breaking the lower tang is tougher to do. One of my Hepburns had a very nice receiver, but the trigger guard was almost rusted away. Must have been some sort of galvanic corrosion going on over the years which resulted in same.

thanks SSS, Not really sure what I doing on this since it is something I just decided to do. But I do have a lot of experience and knowledge of metals, welding and heat treating as well as shooting. so just using what I have and doing the best I can and relying on the good knowledgeable folks here to help me out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint