Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) WINCHESTER MODEL 1885 LOW WALL SCHUETZEN RIFLE (Read 3351 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: WINCHESTER MODEL 1885 LOW WALL SCHUETZEN RIFLE
Reply #45 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:34am
Print Post  
WALNUT HILL wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:56am:
I asked the auction house

"All of those firearms were out of one estate here in Tallahassee."

but would not give a name

Not likely that anyone with a major collection wouldn't be known by other collectors & dealers in area.† (Although if restoration/rebuilding is only 10 yrs old, that doesn't sound like any "old time collector.")

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #46 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Sounds like the auction house knows who's estate it belongs to, but for privacy reasons wont reveal it.
Many people don't want a restored gun, but many want their guns to look like new and don't think twice about it. I wouldn't think how old the collector is would make a difference in that thinking. Or that it would apply to every gun in their collection.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:57pm:

Many people don't want a restored gun, but many want their guns to look like new and don't think twice about it. I wouldn't think how old the collector is would make a difference in that thinking.

If the supposition is that the gun was part of the collection of an "old time schuetzen shooter," then I think age would make a big difference, because I can't imagine any of them (septuagenarians at least if they aren't already in the bone yard) doing such a thing--restoring it to "new" cond.  These aren't the big-spenders who keep Doug Turnbull and his competitors in business.  (I'm glad, however, these types are around, just to keep the skills of top quality rust-bluing, case-coloring, etc., alive & well.)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #48 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Guess we'll just have to disagree Redsetter. I know a fair number of friends in their 60's and 70's who own nice old originals, and also restored nice guns. A number of those same guys are still actively building up project guns too, and enjoy that part of collecting old single shots.
And as hard as it might be to believe, there are a fair number of great restoration gunsmiths today doing work as good or better than Turnbull, and at much more reasonable prices too! Sounds like you need to expand your imagination!

Vall

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:23pm:
  And as hard as it might be to believe, there are a fair number of great restoration gunsmiths today doing work as good or better than Turnbull, and at much more reasonable prices too! Sounds like you need to expand your imagination!

My SS check, not my imagination, is what needs expansion.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #50 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:59pm:
marlinguy wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:23pm:
† And as hard as it might be to believe, there are a fair number of great restoration gunsmiths today doing work as good or better than Turnbull, and at much more reasonable prices too! Sounds like you need to expand your imagination!

My SS check, not my imagination, is what needs expansion.

Well you said you couldn't imagine any oof them doing such a thing, so I figured you  needed more imagination.

Vall

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #51 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I like restored guns.
Not as much as old originals, even in some pretty rough shape.
If someone has already "restored" a gun to new condition, what should we do, ignore it because the collector value is gone?
Aren't some still shooters; better with a fresh barrel?
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #52 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 1:15pm:
I like restored guns.
Not as much as old originals, even in some pretty rough shape.
If someone has already "restored" a gun to new condition, what should we do, ignore it because the collector value is gone?
Aren't some still shooters; better with a fresh barrel?
Aaron

I wish every gun I owned was a gorgeous original, but my budget wont allow that. And I'm not going to simply stop purchasing guns I love because they're mostly well used. Well used wont make me want to restore a gun, but well used and abused wont stop me from buying it either.
Since I can do most of the restoration work, and send the end product out for CCH and rust bluing, it allows me to afford some gun I otherwise might pass up. It will only be original once, and I love those. But I'm very happy with those I've saved from the parts bin, and gotten back to how they were when they were new! It's always good to hear someone express interest in a gun I restored 10-15 years ago, and they think it's a nice original. I love telling them it's restored and seeing the look on their face when they hear that.

Vall

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Sort of off subject, but had to replace the tumbler in a ML rifle I built for a friend about 45 years ago.
Rifle has killed several elk, miles in a saddle boot, and won more than a few matches.
Full cock notch finally fatigued. You would be hard pressed to tell the rifle from an original except for the name on the barrel.
The friend's son and grand-son are using it now. Guess the guarantee is my lifetime.
Chuck

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #54 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:15am
Print Post  
I used to know a couple of gunsmiths who used to up grade Parker shotguns. They were always up front that the guns were upgraded with wonderful engraving and case coloring. The stocks were exhibition grade walnut with meticulous checkering. I have always wondered how many of those guns were sold at auction as high grade or whatever as opposed to the field grade they really were. Most auction houses know very little about anything that isnít factory and almost nothing about cartridges before WWII.
40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #55 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:47am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:15am:
I used to know a couple of gunsmiths who used to up grade Parker shotguns. They were always up front that the guns were upgraded with wonderful engraving and case coloring. The stocks were exhibition grade walnut with meticulous checkering. I have always wondered how many of those guns were sold at auction as high grade or whatever as opposed to the field grade they really were. Most auction houses know very little about anything that isnít factory and almost nothing about cartridges before WWII.
40 Rod

I guess that's always been my one concern with old guns I've restored for myself. Some of them I finished 20 years ago, and after 20 years of careful use they are beginning to look like well maintained originals. I've wondered how they'll be presented after I'm gone and nobody tells the buyer they're restored?

Vall

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:15am:
I used to know a couple of gunsmiths who used to up grade Parker shotguns. They were always up front that the guns were upgraded with wonderful engraving and case coloring. The stocks were exhibition grade walnut with meticulous checkering.

A couple!† Hershel Chadick in Texas operated a "Parker factory" in the '70s & '80s to rebuild, particularly, the large numbers of Damascus guns that otherwise had no takers.† (Then I mean--they probably would have now if any escaped rebarreling by Hershel.)† And I promise you there was no "up front" when he sold them!

Ditto for that even more notorious Luger faker, Ralph Shattuck.

IP Logged

WALNUT HILL
Junior Forum Member

Reply #57 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
[quote author=3C30233D383F362428510 link=1504133982/46#46 date=1504724276] Sounds like the auction house knows who's estate it belongs to, but for privacy reasons wont reveal it.
quote]

I found a gun at auction that is a Custom Winchester scheutzen built by Dan Dryer
with a serial number of 119367 very close to mine anybody know who Dan Dryer is?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #58 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
WALNUT HILL wrote on Sep 10th, 2017 at 12:37pm:
I found a gun at auction that is a Custom Winchester scheutzen built by Dan Dryer
with a serial number of 119367 very close to mine anybody know who Dan Dryer is?

Close in serial number, or close in appearance? Or both?

Vall

IP Logged

jfeldman
Oldtimer

Reply #59 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I suspect the name is misspelled - Probably Dan Dwyer of San Diego, an oldtime and well respected gunsmith.  Inventor of the "Group Gripper" for the .45 auto.  Passed away in 1996 at age 89.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint