Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 1/2 Project (Read 1533 times)
Tentman
Junior Forum Member

Stevens 44 1/2 Project
Sep 2nd, 2017 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Hello Gentlemen (and Ladies if present)

I have recently been lucky enough to secure an original (ish) Stevens 44 1/2, in 22 Hornet.  These firearms are very seldom encountered here in New Zealand, I have been looking for one for at least 10 years . . . and the one I have coming is in fact from Australia, where they are also rare.

The rifle I have obtained was "discovered" by a Aussie in a pile of bits as a action and barrel, in 22 LR.  He obtained a stock and had an Aussie gunsmith reline the barrel and convert it to centrefire in 22 Hornet.  Currently I have only seen photos, and it will be months before I have the rifle in hand.

The overall condition is still pretty rough, but I'm lucky enough to have the confidence of a very good restorative minded gunsmith, in the past he has rebuilt a Mauser Oberndorf sporter (kurz model) to a very high standard for me.

I'm sure that with a good brief he can do the same for the Stevens.

I'm looking for ideas on getting the rifle to a nice usable state that suits our NZ hunting, while being sympathetic to the rifles history.

The rifle has some issues, the breechblock legs "hang" about 1/8 of an inch below the receiver.  I'm wondering if this is how the Aussie gunsmith may have "converted" it from RF to CF . . . maybe changed the linkage to drop the block a bit . . . it would seem an unusual way of achieving it ??

Because the action is so rare I'd like to shoot it as both a RF and CF, from what I've read on this forum my best bet for that is to get a CPA breechblock assembly for what ever the current one isn't . . hopefully its currently as RF because then the new "modern" Breechblock with a small firing pin etc would be a CF, and as I'm thinking of chambering it to either 30-30 or 25-35 . . . thoughts on this choice??

I have De Haas's book, is there another that would be a good reference for the 44 1/2?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Stevens_44_5__2_.jpg (Attachment deleted | 0 Downloads )

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 Project
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 8:48am
Print Post  
If the breechblock is hanging down when the action is closed, I'm betting that it's a centerfire converted to rimfire by installing a short link. The .22 rimfire firing pin in a 44 1/2 is at 6 o'clock to the chamber centerline by about 2.6 mm. Replacing the link with a correct one will make it a centerfire again.  Keep the .22 link, obviously. 

(Measured a standard link from my parts pile - hole spacing is .690"  or about 17.5 mm.)
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2017 at 8:58am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

vapodog
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 8:52am
Print Post  
I have only started my tour of the Stevens single shots and cannot offer any wisdom on the suitability of the 44 1/2 to the 22 hornet,  however on my thread on the Stevens favorite ( a 1915 model) you might see some ideas you would like to adopt.

I'll be cheering you on as I follow this thread.....I might have even mailed you a 6mm barrel years back IIRC.....best of luck to you.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 9:06am
Print Post  
vapodog wrote on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 8:52am:
I have only started my tour of the Stevens single shots and cannot offer any wisdom on the suitability of the 44 1/2 to the 22 hornet.......

44 1/2 was offered in calibers up to .38-55, and used successfully for several hot .22 caliber wilcats, the .22 Lovell being my favorite.  Ned Roberts did much of his development of his eponymous .257 cartridge in a 44 1/2. Even though the barrel shank is a bit small for a case with a .470" base, it never gave him any trouble.  It will handle the Hornet with ease.   Along with any cartridge based on the .38-55 case - i.e. .32-40, .30-30, .25-35, .219 Zipper Improved, etc., etc.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2017 at 9:17am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Congratulations on your find.  I don't routinely encounter Stevens No. 44-1/2s here, either, unless somebody is displaying or selling a thirty-year collection.

Your gunsmith can make a new link with slightly larger hole spacing and, if necessary, modify the breech end of the barrel to raise the block, if you find the slight protrusion objectionable.  I see a certain amount of that "sag" at the bottom in specimens I find, perhaps due to the takedown system and replacement barrels, and perhaps due to wear.  Stevens parts were indifferently hardened, compared to other brands.  It doesn't seem to affect the shootability or accuracy, at least at my skill level.

You would definitely need an extra rimfire breechblock and extractor if you want to go from rimfire to centerfire.  If yours is a rimfire converted to Hornet, it should have a bushed breechblock and a centerfire firing pin conversion already.

The Stevens rimfires had the firing pin hit at the 6 o'clock position of the chamber, right over the extractor.  The block would have to be moved upwards for the pin to hit the centerfire primer.  This would not be practical on this action, as the block moves forward as well.

For mechanical aspects of single shots, DeHaas stands alone.  Other references cover collectibility issues, but very little on design.

IP Logged

vapodog
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 9:23am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 9:06am:

44 1/2 was offered in calibers up to .38-55, and used successfully for several hot .22 caliber wilcats, the .22 Lovell being my favorite.  Ned Roberts did much of his development of his eponymous .257 cartridge in a 44 1/2. Even though the barrel shank is a bit small for a case with a .470" base, it never gave him any trouble.  It will handle the Hornet with ease.   Along with any cartridge based on the .38-55 case - i.e. .32-40, .30-30, .25-35, .219 Zipper Improved, etc., etc. [/quote]

Thanks for that.....can you recommend the Stevens 44 Ideal for the .22 Hornet or the .17 hornet?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:06am
Print Post  
I cannot.  The old style 44 won't take that kind of pressure for long.  The link starts to collapse, and headspace grows. Once that starts, it gets worse in a hurry. 

Using smokeless powder, the .25-20 and 32-20 are about as far as would I ever go, limiting myself to 18,000 psi loads.  Even then, the breechblock and barrel have to be set up correctly, so that the rear of the breechblock bears tightly on the shoulders in the receiver, while at the same to there is about .003" interference between the breechblock and the barrel face as the action locks up.  Barrel fitting is tricky business, more than I can explain in a forum post. 

Stevens/Savage did offer the 44 action in .22 Hornet for a very short time.  They learned.

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
If you have  a great gunsmith, you might suggest to him to do an offset shank when he threads the barrel for your RF/CF setup. Seems that gunsmiths and gun makers today want to take the easy (more expensive) route of setting up the 44 1/2 with two breech blocks for RF and CF. But back 100-120 years ago great gunsmiths simply turned the shank off center enough to make the CF firing pin strike the rim to convert.
Turning the shank off center allows for quick, and simple barrel changes on a Stevens; as quick as changing two CF or two RF barrels. And since you only use one breech block, that cost is eliminated also.
I own two early single shots done this way, and they work great! One was done at the Zettler Bros. shop in NY City, and the other I have no info on who did it.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 3:08pm:
I own two early single shots done this way, and they work great! One was done at the Zettler Bros. shop in NY City, and the other I have no info on who did it.

Had a 44 that Peterson rebarreled this way, but quite a few other barrelsmiths did the same, so the technique wasn't any secret then, but I think it has become so now.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I have a Peterson Ballard on a Pacific c.f. action with an offset bore.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Yes, as common as it was for the best gunsmiths back 100+ years ago, it seems almost unknown today. I've mentioned it to those I consider pretty good gunsmiths, and gotten a blank stare. Obviously an art lost to today's gunsmith.

Vall

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Maybe it is the lack of a canned digital program?  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Would interchangeable links in a Ballard be easier, or would that mess up the lock up and cause lever dropping?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 6:16pm:
Would interchangeable links in a Ballard be easier, or would that mess up the lock up and cause lever dropping?

Yes Bob, a link in a Ballard makes huge issues if it's not the correct length. So couldn't do a link on a Ballard to change firing pin height.

Vall

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
I have a 44 1/2 in 25-35 that I just love.  I went with a 9 twist barrel and it shoots 120 grain jacketed bullets lights out.  Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint