Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Aydt rifle (Read 424 times)
Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Aydt rifle
Sep 3rd, 2017 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Hmmm saw an absolutely beautiful one (in 8.15X46R) at the gun show.  What are they worth?  Great outside condition and excellent bore.  Complete sights.  What should I look for?  Asking price was about $2k.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Aydt rifle
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
With sights is a big bonus.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
While it intrigues me, I'm now leaning to getting a second CPA action for two of the 4 barrels I've got. 

Ahhhh a passing lusting after fine craftsmanship.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Tim, the biggest question is "Does it fit?"  Remember they were created as offhand  target rifles, not bench-rester hunting  guns.
Did you have a chance to shoulder it (with your eyes closed) and assume a offhand shooting stance, open your eyes and see if the sights were close to alignment? was the stock length proper for offhand shooting for you. was the cheekpiece hollowed out enough for you to naturally align the sights without craning your neck unnaturally? was the weight and balance comfortable and steady?
While the actions etc were usually an assembly of purchased parts, the  gun-builder usually made the stock to fit the buyers physical characteristics.   
I have test-shouldered dozens of them, only to find that the stock design and proportion didn't fit me.  So I laid them back on the table--with regret.  Maybe I'm built oddly but I'd say that less than 1 in 20 or so came close to fitting me--usually in the cheekpiece fit, followed by stock length
I cant afford to waste $$ on guns I cant or won't actually shoot.  If they did fit I made every effort possible to negotiate a purchase.  .
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2017 at 11:56am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Excellent point.  I think I'm employing that without consciously focusing on it. Hence for about the same $ I'm working up the CPA rifle with 4 bbls I've got will morph into two rifles - one for offhand and one for bench - each action tailored to that purpose coupled with the two heavy barrels for bench and the lighter two for off-hand.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
And was it an engraved Aydt, or a plain Aydt. $2,000 is getting towards the top dollar for a non engraved one, even with sights. Not overpriced, but near the top.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
fully engraved

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a very good price if it was fully engraved, and that nice!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 6:05am
Print Post  
agreed,   for full quality engraving, original sights and excellent condition 2K would be near the top, unless there was an interesting documented provenance.  Especially if it actually fit well.
  I paid less for mine, but the rear sight, while AN original, was not THE original. (and the very fine front pin insert was broken)  It WAS an original german  "lollipop" sight of a much earlier era though and of value to collectors of German Percussion SChuetzens. So I traded it on an original appropriate vintage diopter top with a new base adapter which I was able to get engraved to match the pattern on the rifle.  so I probably have that or a little more in it,

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:44am
Print Post  
I own two of these, both System Will's. One CF, unaltered and the second, is a 22RF, rebarreled by a famous, small bore barrel barrel maker, of the 1930's.

The CF, I payed way to much for. $1000 in 1988 but, it was pristine and I couldn't live w/o it. And will never sell it. I figure I got my moneys worth Smiley

The art and workmanship, of these rifles, is second to none. If you were to try to build one of these, it would cost you, at least $5000 - 7000. I asked a local stock maker, what it would cost to replicate the butt stock on mine, with Tyrolian cheeck piece and thumb rest, as well as minor craving. The answer, $1500, 6 years ago.

These rifles are way under valued and should be in the range of a Winchester Helms or a custom Schuetzen, built by one of the "Golden Age" gunsmiths. I'm not sure they will ever make that leap in value but, that's where they belong.

If you can afford it and like me, can't live w/o it, it's a good deal!

4 years ago, I started using both of mine, as my only OH rifles and even though, over the long run, it will detract from the value, I thought they should be used for what they were intend! They certainly not a Safe Queen's any more.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint