Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 25-20 SS breach seat, suitable mold purchase (Read 530 times)
corerftech

25-20 SS breach seat, suitable mold purchase
Sep 5th, 2017 at 1:38am
Print Post  
I went ahead and bid on a 25-20 marlin, Winchester mfgr original mold. Looks to be 85 grain, loverin style like the 25-20 SS version I had same opportunity to buy, except the base band of the SS had a bevel and the marlin had a square flat base. I chose the marlin stamped model which had the conventional base.

Not having ever breach seated and Aaron's (rebel) 25-20ss low wall(recently sold here) is the candidate, trying to confirm I didnt screw up by procuring a mold (generic) without a bevel base.

I thought it was strange for the base band to be undercut like the mold was trying to offer a short gas check shank. But it wasnt a gas check shank, it was simply looking like the mold (although unmolested) had been milled to remove the square base at about the end of the first grease groove, making it undersized on the base band. Made it look like a bevel base bullet.

I wish I had pics. When the gunbroker listing pops back up again I'll post a link and maybe someone can speak into the validity of the SS mold.

I paid 100.00 for it, if I ordered an LBT or NOE or any other custom mold I'd be out the same or more money. To prove the gun and bore, I'd hate to invest in custom when a generic will vet the gun fully. I know fit won't be perfect but maybe the gun won't shoot....... at least now I can test it and it's a good mold for 25-20 in any case (win).
Looking forward to making a simple dummy case breach seater to attempt shooting it.

Adding another question, should I make fixed Ammo first with a fire form load or should I COW fireform, not going to get hardcore like th pros here do. I'm ok with having 20 rounds of BS loaded and not do the bench load thing right off the bat. Need to walk before I try to run.

Appreciate the feedback.

Mike

IP Logged

bnice
Oldtimer

Re: 25-20 SS breach seat, suitable mold purchase
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Hi Mike the bevel base was probably a straight non tapered bullet and for fixed ( ny guess). Breach seat bullets are normally tapered to aid in seating and flat based. If you are making your seater Chances are you will need to open the fire formed case mouth further by reaming or other method to be able to insert the bullet into the seater case.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Why would a bevel base not work for breech seating?  I know that one of us here deliberately swages a little bevel onto the base of his bullets. 

<div class=

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Most of the  Winchester moulds had a bevel base, at least the ones that I have seen or own do. Charlie Dell also swaged a small bevel into the base of his bullets. He also used a card wad on the base of the bullet and said the this eliminated any finning from effecting the bullet as it left the muzzle.

Willis

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Did that de-finning have any substantial advantage of dinner bullets?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bnice
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Bevel base may work fine, but if it isn't a taper bullet it will probably seat harder and may distort the bevel base anyway. Try it and see how it works may shoot great you could also seat one and drive it back out and check the base. Good luck.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
ASSRA Board Member

LIFE MEMBER #14

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Save yourself a whole lot of bother just get ahold of Jim and tell him land and groove diameter of your barrel and the twist you have. In no time you'll have a bullet that's perfect for your barrel and Jim's custom molds don't cost a lot more then trying to buy an original off of E-bay.
JIM BORTON
381 N. GARBER DR.
TIPP CITY,OHIO
1-937-877-1284
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Founder of the Quarter Bore Corps
ASSRA- founded to promote fellowship among those interested in the use, study, and preservation of single shot rifles devel. betwn the end of the Civil War and WW I

IP Logged

corerftech

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Received my mold today, 25-20 marlin./

What I couldn't see in the pictures was the discoloration of the mold in the base band.
The base band has been opened I think to about .2615 and has a bit of taper that is visible (base band is tapered, not the entire bullet

I will try to cast a bullet or two later and get a real wheel weight measurement from it.

Mold is in great shape though!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint