Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ruger # 3 action vs # 1 Action (Read 767 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Ruger # 3 action vs # 1 Action
Sep 5th, 2017 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
What's the difference other than the finger lever. Do they both Eject ?  Action only, know the stocks and barrels are different.

Thanks

Boats

IP Logged

wesg
Junior Forum Member

Re: Ruger # 3 action vs # 1 Action
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Detent for the lever. Everything else identical, trigger, safety, and all the springs on the hanger for firing and ejection.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Not sure about other #3's but my custom rifle in 7mm Krag kicks an empty case out to just completely clear the chamber but not fall on the bench or ground without either grabbing it or tipping the rifle to let gravity take over.  I really like my Browning 78 in 25-06 for hunting as it makes you duck as the empty brass flies by your ear after dropping the lever!  😀 Tom

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Bullseye Tom,

You know that there is an adjustment on the ejector spring to vary the force with which the case is ejected from the chamber, right? By removing the forearm you can gain access to the ejector mechanism at the lower left side of the receiver, and increase or decrease the compression on the spring to vary ejection from wimpy to forceful.  You can even take the ejector spring out and get simple extraction.

On my No. 3 in .375 Winchester I shortened the front end of the safety thumb piece so that the brass didn't hit it upon ejection, but is thrown clear of the rifle. My No. 1 in 38-55 came to me adjusted to gently eject the case back 'til it hit the front of the safety thumb piece and stops - and I'm leaving it that way.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2017 at 2:02pm by jy3855 »  

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the adjustment procedure.  My rifle currently is like yours with the fired case stopping at the safety.  I think tomorrow I will play with the adjustment to see if I can get it to throw the empty clear of the action as it is a hunting rifle.  Tom

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Tom,

The problem with the Rugers is that the shell is thrown out directly at the safety, which stops it. That's why I trimmed my safety so that the cases wouldn't hit it and be stopped. Bought the No. 3 for hunting too, haven't used it for that though, unfortunately.

It's been many years since I did the surgery on my safety, so I don't remember how hard it was to do, but if I did it, it must have been relatively easy, I'm not a mechanical genius!  You might consider doing the same.

IP Logged

JS47
Oldtimer

Member # 10889

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I bought a #3 in 375 Winchester quite a few years ago and rebarrelled it to 22 Hornet. I adjusted the ejector so that it barely kicks the case out which makes for fewer lost cases.
The #3 is one of the nicest of the modern single shots if a decent stock is made for it. I sure do wish Ruger hadn't stopped making them. Sad

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
The major difference between the #1 and #3 Rugers is the way the lever locks the #1 locks on the trigger guard. The #3 has a spring and plunger built in the lever and a detent in the action. When I converted my #1 to a schuetzen rifle I had to drill the detent in the action to hold the schuetzen lever in place. I did not want the trigger guard left on the rifle.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks all !

Boats

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 4:54am
Print Post  
If you are doing a custom #1,  Steve Durren did one for someone that really looked unique. He acquired a #1 F Wesson long-range Repro lever from Steve Earle, cut off most of the  the #1 Ruger lever welded & blended on the stub and fitted it to factory trigger guard.  It made a REALLLY elegant conversion.
  While the #3 lends itself to more and easier modification possibilities---basically because of the lever setup---both actions offer a wide palate for custom work for anything from 14 and 17 calibers up to anything you can fit between between the receiver walls and barrel stub diameter

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint