Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .40-45 Rem. Straight (Read 394 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

.40-45 Rem. Straight
Sep 7th, 2017 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Looking for any information on this old Remington cartridge. Especially rim size and base diameter. Trying to figure out how or if it differs from the .40-50 Sharps Straight?
Have an opportunity to pick up a nice Remington Rolling Block Sporting Rifle in .40 1 7/8 (.40-45 Rem. Str.) and hope it might interchange with the Sharps, or something else. Can't find this cartridge listed in Cartridges of the World, but I see it listed in Marcot's Rolling Block book.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ledball
Oldtimer

Re: .40-45 Rem. Straight
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I think it's just R.E.M.'s 40/50 SS.  Ledball

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:43pm:
I think it's just R.E.M.'s 40/50 SS.  Ledball

I think you may be right ledball. Seller said it was .40-50 SBN, but looking at the chamber it's a straight wall case, not bottleneck. He's never fired it.
Wish I had a .40-50 SS case to drop in it!

Vall

IP Logged

DWT1885

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Hey Vall, In my copy of "Remington No.3 Hepburn" book , on page 324 it states " A common caliber in Hepburns is the 40-50 Sharps. Remington called it their 40-45 and rifles for it are usually marked on the barrel 40-1 7/8". Also in a different paragraph, it says that the 40-45 Remington is also known as the 40-50 SS or 40-1 7/8. Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.
Remember the 58,479 Brother's & Sister's who never returned.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dale! I should have checked Rowe's Hepburn book also! I just rarely find a Remington answer there, so I went to Marcot's book instead.
Guess I'll start digging through brass for some .303 British, or .30-40 Krag brass to make them! Of course I just sold all my new .30-40 Krag brass as it was too short to make .40-70 Ballard cartridges with!!

Vall

IP Logged

FITZ-G
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
marlinguy, I have just recently finished a 40-50 SS Short Range restoration. While doing the research on the caliber I found a statement attributed to Winchester. It said they were making Amunition for the 40-50 SS but could not get 50 Grs. of black powder in the case with fixed ammo. So they loaded it with 45 Grs and called it 40-45 SS Winchester. I have not tried mine with Black as of yet. The difference may have been that Sharps may have been using the early Balloon head brass which would hold a little more Black Powder than later Brass.
Have you ever tried to get 55 Grs. of Black into a 38-55 with fixed ammunition? I just remembered, I read that in Cartridges of the World. HTH Regards, FITZ-G. Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I can get 55gr Swiss 1 1/2 in my cases with compression.  Just enough room left for a base band.

Joe.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
FITZ-G wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:12pm:
marlinguy, I have just recently finished a 40-50 SS Short Range restoration. While doing the research on the caliber I found a statement attributed to Winchester. It said they were making Amunition for the 40-50 SS but could not get 50 Grs. of black powder in the case with fixed ammo. So they loaded it with 45 Grs and called it 40-45 SS Winchester. I have not tried mine with Black as of yet. The difference may have been that Sharps may have been using the early Balloon head brass which would hold a little more Black Powder than later Brass.
Have you ever tried to get 55 Grs. of Black into a 38-55 with fixed ammunition? I just remembered, I read that in Cartridges of the World. HTH Regards, FITZ-G. Smiley

Thanks Fitz!
No, I don't shoot BP, so haven't tried BP in anything. I'll be loading this Roller with smokeless too, once I get cases and dies.

Vall

IP Logged

Hiwall55

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
try the Grafs 30-40, its the same dimensions as the Remington. I JUST BOUGHT 100 off gunbroker for 82.00 shipped. I used them to make 40-60 maynard and they worked great.
Bill

IP Logged

FITZ-G
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Joe, yes with compression you can do that. But we must remember, back then they were loading fixed ammo that had to take normal handling. I have loaded Ammo in the manner you describe but I did not throw a hand full in my hunting jacket pocket to go into the woods.  A lot has been lost since then. Paper Patch bullets were bore size and loaded easily in a cartridge with just a thumb push. And they chambered with little more than that. This info has been lost. How many new Single Shot shooters do we see saying they cannot get fixed ammo loads to chamber because the case is swelled up becausethey have loaded a Grove diameter bullet in a case to be shot in an original rifle with a Paper Patch chamber. I have many samples of factory Paper Patch bullets and they all slip easily into the bore at the muzzle. Not sloppy mind you but a nice slightly snug fit. They won't fall down the bore but can be easily pushed all the way to the chamber with no effort and do not cut the paper unless it is done with too much vigor. Well
nuff said. HTH Regards, FITZ.  Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Yep. A nice load in the same rifle was the 405 Winchester bullet 412-266?? Duh, and 40 GR BP.

Bore diameter paper patch.............pesky!

Joe.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:01am
Print Post  
The bore on this Rolling Block slugs to .4105" and the serial number on the half octagon barrel does not match the receiver's number. I'd guess it could be from a later Hepburn as they seem to be found in this caliber more often than Rolling Blocks. Great bore, but need to check the twist rate. Probably slow like many from that era, and around 20" or so?

Vall

IP Logged

FITZ-G
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Joe, you do not have to shoot a Bore diameter bullet with Paper
Patches. You can shoot a Bore diameter with a naked Bore size bullet with Grease Grooves and Lubricant. I have done it and it works. Example! Sharps Borchardt Rifle caliber .45 x 2 7/8"
Load 10 Grs 4759, 100 grs Elephant Fg. Bullet Postell 535 Gr.
30/1 Lead/Tin, Pope Lube, Sized to .452 Diameter. Shot at 1000 Yds. over Cranberry Bogs. Three shots to find a 36" Plate from a 400 Yd. Zero. Just added elevation till we hit it. Big Bong. Had a crowd. Every one wanted to try it. Rifle weighed 11 Lbs. Every one gave it up after they got a Gong. Killed on both ends. Smiley When we were done I looked at the Target. We had developed a group centered that measured right at 10". Now that's Minute of Angle. Admit, a lot of shots outside the 10" group but a lot in it. So Bore size Bullets do not have to be Paper patched. But they do have to be soft enough to Bump and use a fast Powder to bump them. Any thoughts would be
appreciated, Regards, FITZ-G  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint