Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 143 Million Equifax Accounts Hacked (Read 744 times)
Smoke

143 Million Equifax Accounts Hacked
Sep 8th, 2017 at 2:51am
Print Post  
This is NOT a hoax.  If it's borne out (and the people at Krebs Security are not ones to go off half-cocked), we're all in for a bumpy ride.

Best to begin monitoring your bank accounts and credit cards.

> Subject: [Krebs on Security] Breach at Equifax May Affect 143m people
> Krebs on Security has posted a new item.
> Date: September 7, 2017 at 3:30:50 PM PDT
>
> Equifax, one of the "big-three" U.S. credit bureaus, said today that a data
> breach at the company may have affected 143 million Americans, jeopardizing
> consumer Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and some driver's
> license numbers.
>
> (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

>
>
> Please use the link above to continue reading this posting.
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 143 Million Equifax Accounts Hacked
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Last evening one of the news reports said this breach happened in June or July.  Nice to see they are on top of it and taking it "seriously" the way corporate enities always do.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Not to mention the hoops they put through just to find out if your account has been hacked.  Then you have to wait to find out if you are on the list.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:11am
Print Post  
CajunRebel wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 2:28pm:
Not to mention the hoops they put through just to find out if your account has been hacked.  Then you have to wait to find out if you are on the list.

Took me seconds to go through their check and find out I wasn't affected.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FITZ-G
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Saw this on News this AM. The method described, was to go online and enter your name and the last 6 numbers of your Social Security #. The response was "Your information "MAY" have been" exposed. MAY????? So if you get that answer what do you DO? Panic, go close all your accounts and open new ones, different banks? New checks? Who Pays? Will your Bank restore Balances stolen? Will Equafax? make you good even though you have never used them for anything at all. What we need are Laws that forbid any company from acquiring this kind of Data unless they have your consent Period. From any source other than yourself. It is all a $$ issue. They make a lot of money selling your information to credit card companies. I have never tried to find out what my Credit? score is. But recently I got a credit card statement that told me what it was.
????. Now I know that I have all kinds of good credit. DUH!
Well I have ranted enough. Regards, FITZ-G. Angry

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
I checked after midnight Pacific.  It only took a couple of tries.  Bandwidth seemed to be sufficient when most of us, US, are asleep or in the late night clubs  Cheesy

The message I got was they didn't "think" I was affected.  That made me wonder if the levels might be you are and we don't know.

On another related fraud issue, a banker told me yesterday if your bank account number gets in the hands of scammers, they can print checks and use them as they please  Cry   She said using a credit card and paying it off monthly is the best way to protect liquid assets in your account.  You have limited liability.  It is the bank's money at risk.  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JS47
Oldtimer

Member # 10889

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
This whole credit card business is nothing but a high dollar scam. My wife and I applied for a new card recently. We were both turned down because we didn't have any debt and therefore no credit record. That's what happens when you pay for everything without taking out any loans. On the other hand our daughter, who has a car payment, a student loan debt, and a home loan got the same card without a hitch. The card company no doubt figures that if people are deep in debt they'll miss the monthly payment and the company can pile on the 18-20% interest and make some money. It pisses me off but what can we do? It's life in modern America.

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
JS,  they do have interesting theories they operate from Cheesy.

When I started business 30 years ago, Washington Mutual had a big sail boat out front with a sign pushing their boat loans.  If had told them I wanted that boat they would have fallen all over themselves getting it done.  Since I was starting a business, they all said they wanted no part of it for 5 years.  I told them I wouldn't need them in 5 years  Roll Eyes  But, since nobody ships gold bullion to pay, a checking account was mandatory  Undecided

U R right about the scam.  They get money from us, US, that is literally free.  They loan it out on cc accounts for 13 to 25%.  Americans love it  Grin

IP Logged

Mike Gish

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
An article in the local paper said they delayed going public to give the police and feds  time to track them down and charge them. Another article also stated that some upper management were unloading stock, so just what was the delay used for.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Upper management was unloading stock after the break in but they didn't know about it yet.   Are they really stupid enough to think the public believes their B.S.?  The only thing they take seriously is a negative impact on upper management bonuses.

I suppose they will pick another high profile female like Martha Stewart to prosecute and that will make it all better.

IP Logged

Smoke

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
This breach is far more than credit card exposure. The compromised data is the key to most of your financial accounts: bank accounts, stock, IRA, brokerage accounts, Social Security, pensions, etc., including the title to your house (see below).

Companies use the data that was exposed in this breach to allow you to reset your passwords: birth date, social security number, and address. Even if email addresses and phone numbers were not exposed in this breach, that data can be derived from cross referencing public databases with names and addresses that were included in the breach.

Using the data that was compromised, the hackers can file a fraudulent tax return for a tax refund or obtain a second mortgage against your house.

Most of the major breaches in the past have involved credit card numbers, email addresses, or passwords. You can fix those by cancelling your credit card, changing your email address or passwords. This breach involves a lot more. Equifax is NOT going to issue you a new Social Security number and they can't change  your birthdate.  The risk caused by this breach will follow people for the rest of their lives.

Even if your information was not compromised, out of the 143 million adult Americans whose data was exposed, you are going to have friends and family members who are in danger.

This is going to strike us all.

IP Logged

jfeldman
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Smoke, do you recommend enrolling in the Equifax security account?

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
This is why I never use my real birthday for anything unless there is a legal reason.  Think of how many unsecured data bases your birthday is in including your local shooting club  Embarrassed

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2019 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 5:10pm
Print Post  

Thank You

Quote:
Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier.

Signed up - tried also for Mrs.  Message said she was not compromised.  So no TRustedID Premier

Regards
John
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
One thing everybody should have done long ago is to put a "freeze" on your credit reporting files.  Easily done by phone.  This stops a hacker from opening new accounts or lines of credit in your name.    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This has no effect on your existing loans and credit cards, so you still have to watch your statements for fraudulent charges.  One thing I know from experience is that Citibank runs a pretty sophisticated algorithm that identifies questionable charges before I even see them on a statement.  Three times in the last 8 or 9 years they've called me to verify.  I've had that card for over 35 years running, so they have a pretty good idea of what my usage patterns are.  LifeLock isn't doing anything that Citibank doesn't already do for me.

BTW the last fish they caught came from PayPal, in 2013. Safer way to pay?   Yeah, right!   No more PayPal for me, which is why I don't buy or sell on evilBay anymore. 

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint