Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The forgotten Single Shot of 1901... (Read 502 times)
Sevykor

The forgotten Single Shot of 1901...
Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:00am
Print Post  
...And for good reason.  I've been collecting Remington single shot rifles for a while.  Most people who hear about a rolling block often think of a rifle.  Recently came across a forgotten model by Remington - the 1901 rolling block target pistol ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) - a last of its kind by Remington.  Looking back at it, even with more modern alternatives at that time in the 22LR format, the single shot still wanted to make a mark.  With less than 800 made of that model, it was quits for Remington due to supposed poor sales/demand.  While other pistols came (ie. Thompson Centers) years after, it's too bad more are not available from the major manufacturers anymore...

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Re: The forgotten Single Shot of 1901...
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:20am
Print Post  
In an era of revolvers peaking in refinement (until Dan Wesson came along) and auto-pistols emerging for the Spanish and two World Wars, I don't believe RBPs offered what the public wanted.  Maybe if the barrels could be easily interchanged?  Look how old is the break-in action design of the TC.  Thompson could just as easily used a RB design.  Inherently weaker for modern smokeless calibers? Undecided

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
I have one chambered in .32-20 that's a great shooter, but not too pretty. The little .22 RB target pistols are pretty nifty!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Better designed SS target pistols like Stevens #10 & S&W Straightline remained in production long after the 1901, but even they couldn't compete with revolvers & autos.  I always wanted one of the RBs, but I think that shooting up a box of 50 rounds, as I usually do when I shoot one of revolvers, wound get rather tedious with any SS.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Who sez you have to shoot up the whole box?   Wink

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint