Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Titherington? (Read 954 times)
HighWall
Junior Forum Member

Titherington?
Sep 9th, 2017 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This is a Stevens 44 in .22LR marked "C. Titherington, Stockton" on the barrel.  I can't imagine that lever was factory. I was wondering if Titherington did the entire rifle. Double set triggers are a little unusual on 44s, aren't they?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Titherington?
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Well, somebody "did the entire rifle," inc. the lever, but there's no obvious reason not to believe the DS is original.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
The DST is almost certainly original. A conversion would leave the single trigger pivot hole empty.  They aren't common on 44 models.  I have one rough action. I have heard on the forum of one other, and now this one. 

Gail at CPA opined that she was glad I am trying to rehab mine, as she thinks they are quite rare.  The DST configuration is less rare among the premium rifles made on the 44 action.  I have logged nearly a dozen over the last couple of years.   

Interestingly the DST assembly used for the 44 series is interchangeable with the 44 1/2.  I have both on the bench right now.  Gail has been able to supply parts for me.  The levers are also almost interchangeable.  Only the machining at the pivot end is different.    Would be very interested to see the extractor on this one.  It is a later 44 with the two-piece "bolt" pivots, and should be central.  That makes it much more rare.  Most of the DSTs on the 44 action are 4-digit serial numbered. 

Would also love to know the serial number so I could add it to my log.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:55pm by uscra112 »  

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I've seen quite a few DST 44 actions. Prior to the 44 1/2 the 44 was Stevens' only single shot, so high end 44's often got DST.

Vall

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:48pm:
I've seen quite a few DST 44 actions. Prior to the 44 1/2 the 44 was Stevens' only single shot, so high end 44's often got DST.

Which leads to the question: Is this rifle marked 44, or was it a premium rifle?

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 3:11am
Print Post  
I have a George Titherington barreled German Schuetzen. I have done research on him, with the help of Michael Petrov. He was a famous barrel maker of the 1930 through at least the 50's. Do a search on the forum, I did a thread on him.

I have a late 44 DST, model 45, serial #10,xxx, while it's not a std 44, it isn't high end.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

J.Francis
Junior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 7:03am
Print Post  
I have a Winchester Model 52 with a Titherington barrel on it. I remember seeing his ads in old American Rifleman magazines.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 10:04am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Sep 9th, 2017 at 11:09pm:
marlinguy wrote on Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:48pm:

Which leads to the question: Is this rifle marked 44, or was it a premium rifle?

I guess if we were to differentiate the 44 actions built into specific models, then we'd have to say none of them were plain 44's. As soon as Stevens adds other features (like DST) to a 44 action then they're no longer a plain 44, and become whatever model they are designated. But they're still on the 44 action.

Vall

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Perhaps the "C." is really a "G." which has been lightly stamped or partially polished out.  Can you ask the owner to check?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

HighWall
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Sep 10th, 2017 at 12:03pm:
Perhaps the "C." is really a "G." which has been lightly stamped or partially polished out.  Can you ask the owner to check?

Bill Lawrence

You know, Bill, I'm sure you're right.  It was George Titherington, wasn't it?  The inscription is a little hard to read since it's directly underneath the scope and the barrel has an overall "micro-pebbly" texture.  Perhaps an artifact of rust bluing?

Anyway, I'm going to take some more pictures later on today and update the album.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I think that if you take the forearm off, you'll find a 47, 49 or some other PG Stevens number stamped into the face of the frame.

American Rifleman did a feature article on George in 1934.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

rkba2nd
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:20am
Print Post  
that article was in the June 1937 American Rifleman.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:58am
Print Post  
This is a small portion of an article about George Titherington from Collier's Magazine, August 3rd 1935, Firing Lines by Frank J. Taylor;

A Shooter Needs More Than a Gun

"I'm not making barrels for rich sports," Titherington told me. "I'm making them for shooters. Most of the best shooters are poor men." So he ekes out a precarious living, catering to real shooters. And when the world's champ comes to Stockton, Titherington makes a bed for him in the kitchen. "If Johnny got any hifalutin ideas from being entertained by lords and ladies over there, he doesn't show them around here," said Titherington. As for the champ, it's okay with him to sleep with the gas range. He's a shooting-fool for the fun of it. For a living he is a cub reporter on a San Francisco newspaper. He keeps his shooting eye in trim in the off hours when the city editor runs out of assignments. Adams has what it takes to make a great shooter. The other day I was talking with Titherington about it. He knows most of the country's great shots. "It takes more than a gun to make a shooter," he said. "Johnny Adams has the makings. Phlegmatic disposition, steady hand, good eye, patience, endurance, and the will to control his nerves and muscles until the split-second comes to squeeze the trigger." "How would he stand up in competition with the great shooters of the past?" I asked. Titherington looked up from the barrel he was reaming. Pain was written all over his face. "Say, they wouldn't have a chance in his kind of shooting," he declared. "Doc Carver, Wild Bill Hickok, Captain Bogardus, all of them, were stunt shooters. This boy is an accuracy shooter." Right there you are looking into the muzzle of an argument with hair on its chest, one that is good for a hundred rounds of open fire wherever shooting fans are gathered. How would Johnny Marion Semmelmeyer, outstanding women's pistol shot, demonstrating two-gun shooting to Johnny Adams, Adams show up in competition with the blustering W. F. "Doc" Carver, who modestly admitted back in the nineties that he was not only the greatest shot the world had ever known, but likewise the greatest the world would ever see? It all depends on your idea of something to shoot at.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:04pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Schutzenbob wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:58am:
This is a small portion of an article about George Titherington;

Colliers Magazine, August 1935, Firing Lines by Frank J. Taylor; A Shooter Needs More Than a Gun

Amazing, now, to believe that a general interest mag like Collier's would feature such a story, but I have a '50s issue of Life with a photo of two setters and a bird-hunter on the cover.  The general hostility of the press to guns & hunting began, like everything else hateful in today's popular culture, in the cursed '60s.

IP Logged

craigster
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
And there was Lucian Cary and his J.M. Pyne  (H.M. Pope) stories published in the Saturday Evening Post.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint