Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black rifles (Read 840 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Black rifles
Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I was wrong! They can be cheaper! Just looked at the Anderson AR 15 that is the company selling all the $50 lowers for guys who want to build them up. Cabelas has those for under $400.
MODEL:    AM15 OPTRDY .223 30R    |    ITEM:    IK - 292740
So I'm having one shipped to my local store for pickup next week. I'll leave it NIB, and when things go nuts I can sell it for a profit NIB. Plus I had Cabelas Club points that brought it down even farther, and used my Cabelas card to add back more points!!! I pay it off monthly, so it gives me an excuse to check gunpowder prices!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:06am
Print Post  
if I guessed the number out there was 15 million, would I be high or low?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 10:48am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:06am:
if I guessed the number out there was 15 million, would I be high or low?

There were approximately 2 million built between 2000-2010, and considering the total years offered to the public of AR15 style rifles, I think your guess might be a bit high for just AR15 types.

Vall

IP Logged

possible

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 10:57am
Print Post  
The thing that fascinates me the most is the number of calibers available for these rifles.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:13am
Print Post  
possible wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 10:57am:
The thing that fascinates me the most is the number of calibers available for these rifles.

Had to go do a search, as I was unfamiliar with the calibers available. Here's the list I found:

•5.45×39mm.
•5.56×42mm(5.56-6.8)
•5.56×45mm NATO - Original AR-15A2 caliber: can also safely fire .223 Remington.
•FN 5.7×28mm.
•6.5X40.
•6×45mm.
•6×6.8 (BHW)
•6mm Hagar.

Vall

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
you missed the .300 black out and I think there are some available in 7.62 x 39 but I am not sure how well they work.  There are also some models available in pistol calibers such as 9mm.
Sam

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Schuetzen is my first love, no question about it, but the AR-15 is the greatest rifle ever invented. What other rifle can offer this:
1)excellent target accuracy,2) available in about 48 chamberings 3) buy one lower and as many uppers as you want and change caliber/weight etc in under five minutes with no special tools required
4) infinitely customizable: dozens of grips, forends, buttstocks,triggers  and sights on the market, no special tools required, 5) with the proper chambering, can be used to hunt any North American game, large , small and in between. 6) reliable, (did not used to be but is now),7)also great for home defense 8) the foundation for a great military rifle which has been in service for about 50 years. No other rifle comes close. Joe S
PS: comes in any color you want including black or walnut wood stock if you prefer.

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
As a Marine in Nam they made us turn in our M-14s and draw an M-16. We had the ones with all the problems. Shoot them full auto and ultimately the gas tube would become fouled and they ceased to function. We put drops of solvent down the gas tube and use C-rats box wire trying to clear them. Move on to 1986, I am a civilian shooting the DCM Matches at Perry. They required us to shoot an M-16. First time I ever shot an M-16 on a KD range.  Move on to 1995, the Marines  & the Army have tuned an  M-16.  Sierra has made bigger bullets, the twist rate has gone to 1-8. An 80gr Sierra can hold it own with an Sierra .30 cal 168gr at 600yds. I started shooting this rifle xcross the course.  AR-15 300yd rapidfire prone.   
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:43pm by Kurt_701 »  

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 9:01am
Print Post  
My fiasco at Cabelas yesterday involved buying a new AR-15 rifle. Definitely not my area of interest for rifles, but it's tough to not want one when prices for new quality AR-15's goes under $400!
Probably wont shoot it a lot, but it is cheap fun, and that's why they're so popular these days.

Vall

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I own eighteen rifles, all single shots.
My Army experience was limited to a jungle 303 and a Bren Gun.
Yep I'm that old!
Talking to a guy at the range a few weeks back about his black plastic wonder and about how good it was shooting and as to how the prices were pretty reasonable compared to a few years ago.
His advice was to go for an AK with a piston and not a blow back AR because of the fouling.
Or have I got it all wrong?

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
If you want a combat rifle, AK is hard to beat. If you want a rifle that is a great combat rifle, a great target rifle, and a great hunting rifle, the AR is the way to go. You cannot make a match rifle out of an AK. You cannot swap uppers, or customize an AK the way an AR-15 can be customized.
Joe S

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
"His advice was to go for an AK with a piston and not a blow back AR because of the ...

The AK has a piston system.  He may have meant get an AR in 7.62x39 but with a piston system.

Now with the new BCG coating, cleaning is very easy, NiB, EXO™, NP3™, Nickel Boron Nitride, etc.  Obviously, he would never shoot BP.  Also, the jury is still out on ARs with a piston system.  If it was such a great system the industry would have switched over, to include U.S. military.

I agree with Joe_S, he's on the mark.

BTW - I have a LW, 2 HWs, and 3 ARs (M4-gery 5.56, .223Rem Varmint, and 6.8 SPC Hunter).

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #27 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Vall,
I'll forgive you that AR15 if you put a Pope barrel on it.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #28 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
The AR-15 is certainly not one of my beloved single shots! And it wont ever take the place of even my least favored single shots. But they are a real bargain, and do what they're designed to do very well. I doubt the US military would still be using them 50 years later if the bugs weren't worked out, and they weren't any good.
As mentioned, the AR15 platform can be extremely reliable, and extremely accurate, which is unusual for a semiauto rifle. Having ammo drug from a magazine, and bashing bullet tips into feed ramps, is not conducive to accuracy normally, but the AR's show they can do so, and still hit at very long distances. They're not just a spray and pray gun like the AK47.

Vall

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #29 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I have one too.
Still looking for that Pope barrel though.
I bought it years ago to shoot with my friends in the "Colt Cup"
sponsored by Colt for a few years till they banned them in Connecticut.
Great guns, but I haven't shot it since. (more than 20 years)
It's a pre-ban Colt H-Bar, just might be valuable.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint