Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Never over estimate NW drivers (Read 571 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Never over estimate NW drivers
Sep 10th, 2017 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
This morning I saw a driver who apparently missed his turn.  He was backing up in a traffic circle  Shocked  Undecided  Yeah, he really was.  Backup lights on too.   Roll Eyes  I was not hallucinating.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Never over estimate NW drivers
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I hate those things!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Well it does seem to be pretty common lately! Was driving home last Wednesday from the Wednesday night cruise/drags here, and came up a two lane road to a SUV backing towards me. I stopped my old hotrod and the idiot backs right up to my frontend!
I sat there awhile waiting to see what he was going to do, and he leans out and waves at me to back up too! I backed up a few feet, and pulled out around him. Looked in my rear view mirror and he was still backing down the street! Maybe it's a Washington thing Bob? He had Washington plates on his SUV!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bpjack
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Joe,

You will come to appreciate roundabouts more if you back up through them.  You get all the friendly drivers honking at you!

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Yesterday I did nothing and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Val, We spent the last 4 months RVing the east coast.  Seattle Tacoma area has the most hostile, aggressive drivers in the US.  The S E seemed to have their share,  but maybe they were just having a bad week or 2 when we passed through. 

Within 6 days of getting to WA, 2 of them passed me on the right shoulder doing at least 80 mph near an exit.  I was towing the 5er and they aren't really readily visible.  I suppose they wonder why it takes 300 yards to change lanes.  Because there is too much paperwork involved running over these idiots.  Best to leave that to the 18 wheelers.  80,000 pounds does a better job of flattening than 25,000.

In my truck I can see the ground 24 feet in front of my bumper from the driver's seat. This morning an idiot in 500 pounds of fiberglass on 4 wheels cut so close I couldn't see the ground between us.  I have an 8 to 1 weight advantage plus a steel to fiberglass advantage.  What amazes me is how many of them bet their life I am alert, not texting  Roll Eyes  have good brakes and superhuman reaction time.

In WA it is not advisable to drive without a dashcam recording evidence.  Never felt I needed it any where else except maybe the S E .  I am amazed I haven't seen a couple of them weaving through the tailgaters at 80 collide merging from opposite sides  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Good tip Bob! I'll have to start using a dash cam whenever I travel through Seattle on the way to my kid's houses in Bellingham!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
My old one failed about the time we  left.  I got a new one but never bothered to set it up.  I didn't feel I needed evidence until we got back to WA.   Cry

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
My old one failed about the time we  left.  I got a new one but never bothered to set it up.  I didn't feel I needed evidence until we got back to WA.   Cry

It might be the Amazonians.  There was an article in the Seattle Times last winter saying how they are pressured to be hostile and aggressive,  stabbing each other in the back to get ahead.  Other employers won't interview them until they have at least 6 months or more to cool off.  The article thought that workplace atmosphere might be affecting driving tactics and habits in this region.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I think it's universal.   Remember the infamous exploding Pinto gas tanks?   The poster-child that started that all was backing up on an exit ramp off the Indiana Toll Road when he was rear-ended. 

I grew up with roundabouts, in Massachusetts.  They're all gone now.  Considered unsafe.  But they were the coming thing in Michigan about the time I retired. 

IP Logged

JS47
Oldtimer

Member # 10889

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
"Seattle Tacoma area has the most hostile, aggressive drivers in the US."

This begs the question, where did these drivers come from? I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

The worst roundabout I've been in was in Spokane headed south on whatever freeway it was. 4 lanes south ended up in a roundabout with no directional signs to be seen.  In other words, I got lost. I managed to find a quick stop store with a cashier who spoke pidgin English fluently. She didn't know how to get to the freeway because she just got there yesterday. Somehow, after a lot of driving around, I managed to get on the right road and have not been back since.

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:09am
Print Post  
As I moved around the country I have found that every area has eccentricities in their driving. Here are a few I have picked up on as I moved around.

Western NY      When the road is frozen over if you can get up to 70 MPH do it, never mind the stopping part.

Cincinnati      Drive with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake at all times. Nobody really needs to know when you are stopping. Besides those nice bright lights on the back of your car make it easier to see!

Wisconsin      Drive the minimum speed in the left hand lane and NEVER look in your rearview mirror. Be extremely annoyed at the mile long line of cars honking and flashing their lights.

East Tennessee.      NEVER use a turn signal, if you accidently do activate it drive for hours with it blinking. When you arrive somewhere just stop and get out you are officially parked if you are in the same zip code as the curb.

40 Rod

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Having grown up and driven in Boston until I was 30 years old, I'll authoritatively put Boston drivers up for most aggressive in the nation.   If you've got bad ones in Seattle, they're transplants! 

(I can remember watching Boston cabbies deliberately nudging one another trying to get into the Sumner Tunnel first.  We used to joke that the only stable configuration for a car in Boston was a sphere - no corners to be knocked off.)

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Maybe those folks backing up were actually Brits that had drunk a pint too many. Doing roundabouts on wrong side of road is really challenging, even more so when steering is on wrong side too.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
I did notice oddballs everywhere we went.  The problem in the NW is the volume.  Here there is one every 10 miles.  If they are coming from Boston, stop it!

I did notice in NH and VT 15 over was not the norm.  Everyone was at least 5 under.  Without high speeds they do aggressive left turns right in front of you since you are not expected to be going anywhere near the speed limit.

I think it was Providence RI the speed limit dropped to 45 on the freeway but everyone maintained their 10 to 15 over from the 65 zone  Grin

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Clearly, you guys have never been on the Long Island Expressway or you wouldn't be questioning what is normal driving there.
In Miami, I95 is 6 lanes wide in each direction. People make high speed left hand turns (actual turns) from the right lane to extreme left in traffic. In the middle of all that, cycles split lanes at 100mph doing wheelies. Unbelievable!
Vall, how did your car make out?
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint