Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fireforming with Graf's brass (Read 592 times)
Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Fireforming with Graf's brass
Sep 10th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Went to the range this morning to break in the barrel on my Borchardt in 30-40 Krag Improved.  I shot 12 of New unfired Graf cases and 13 unfired Remington.  4 of the Graff cases split in the shoulder.  None of the Remington cases split.  Looks like if I want to use Graf cases I better get rigged to start annealing them.  I wonder how the JBA brass is?  Tom

IP Logged

Hiwall55

Re: Fireforming with Graf's brass
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I just got done fireforming 100 Grafs brass to 40-60 Maynard and all formed perfectly.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
How heavy was your fire-forming load?  Often light loads will cause case splitting especially in the shoulder area while heavier, full power loads will fire-form perfectly.  Maybe your load was a bit too light?  Just a thought ...

IP Logged

beltfed
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
But, apparently, the RP brass was fine with that "possibly
light" FF load.
AND, perhaps the grafs 3040 brass varies in its temper
lot to lot.
????
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

emmett22405
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 10:54am
Print Post  
I too had major problems forming 40-60 maynard from Graf's 30-40 brass; lost a lot even with first annealing.   Splits caused me to back down forming charge (10 gr, Unique) under media and wax plug; but lesser charges did not blow out to chamber dimensions often took a second or even 3rd attempt.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
    Forming cases up to larger diameters is best done with a many-stepped expander plug, about 0.050 or so per step.   Much more uniform result than the oft-recommended fast powder and cornmeal, etc.   It is quite straightforward to bring 30-30's up to 38-55 in one pass, as well as 30-40's up to 40 cal.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2019 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
4 of the Graff cases split in the shoulder.

Graff doesn't make brass - they buy from different vendors.  Call them and tell them you had split cases.  Then ask who made the brass ... and I'll bet you it was Bertram!  Pure shit brass and recommend never to buy Bertrams.  Buy quality Jamisom or Rocky Mountain Cartridge, that are lathe turned not drawn brass

I bought 20 cases of Bertram 25-21 and 14 split down the
wall

Regards
John
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Back when I started BPCR Bertram was the only source of anything longer than 45-70. The quality was so poor, everyone shot long throated 45-70 to get space for powder rather than 2.6 ECT.  Sounds like nothing has changed over there  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Hiwall55

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Grafs bought the 30-40 brass from Captech (formerly Jamisons) and I've found that using any kind of wad,even wax will make the cases split. I use 9.5 grains of bullseye and fill with COW abd shoot the gun straight up,wipe the barrel, set it back in the railing and load the next shell and fire. I've done 500 or so ,Win,Rem and just got done with 100 Grafs and never split one case. 40-60 Maynard and 38-50 rem.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 5:04am
Print Post  
I'll have to disagree about Bertram brass - I have quite some no.2 Musket, and it is just fine, I've been using it for close to 7 years now without any issues (other than operator malfunction...).  The only gripe is that the stuff is pretty expensive.  And yes, when purchased it did require annealing.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
The only Bertam brass I've ever used is my batch of 40 cases in .40-82, and they've been hanging in there for about twenty years now. Though seldom used (the rifle isn't very accurate), the cases have given no trouble. I never crimp them and only shoot single loaded in the old '86, but not cracks or splits.  I got them never knowing that they were so suspect in everybody's estimation. Maybe it's like the honey bee that hasn't been told it can't fly?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Jamison/Captech brass is drawn, not turned.  Turned brass is in my mind questionable, since mills don't make proper cartridge brass alloy in bar form. 

This .25 Stevens rimfire from .17 HMR project has required many slight expansions in sequence using shallow-tapered mandrels.  No other way, since it can't be annealed.  Careful chamfering of the mouths, inside and out helps.  Seems to eliminate stress raisers.

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint