Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scope mount ID? (Read 425 times)
gewehrfreund

Scope mount ID?
Sep 13th, 2017 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Fellows,
I acquired these mounts/rings in a miscellaneous parts bin buy at a large gun show in the Spring.
I'm most interested in the two mounts in the foreground in the pictures. At first, I thought they might be Stevens, but I cannot find any pictures of Stevens mounts that match these.
If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate them. That goes for the other two rings in the background too.
Thanks.
Lance

P.S. the front, left mount has windage adjustment, but assembled backward in relation to the base (hash marks on opposite sides, and the spring should be facing to the rear, I assume)

IP Logged

dibbler
Junior Forum Member

Ex ASSRA 6867

Re: Scope mount ID?
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 5:37am
Print Post  
In your first picture - bottom right: it appears to be a rear ring from the Stevens No.1 mount.  There's an illustration of the mounts in the Bill West Stevens book 1st ed. p.10-8 (catalog #55, 1919)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Windage adjustable mount is a Malcolm (or Malcolm-type) non-sliding front mount.  But the V-notch filed into the ring indicates it was adapted for use with a Stevens scope, which indexes by means of a pin on the top of the tube pulled back into the notch after firing.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:04am
Print Post  
dibbler wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 5:37am:
In your first picture - bottom right: it appears to be a rear ring from the Stevens No.1 mount.  There's an illustration of the mounts in the Bill West Stevens book 1st ed. p.10-8 (catalog #55, 1919)

Thanks, they sure looked Stevens-like, but all I have is Stroebel's book (admittedly, not an authority on 19th century items) and nothing in there really matched.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 8:48am:
Windage adjustable mount is a Malcolm (or Malcolm-type) non-sliding front mount.  But the V-notch filed into the ring indicates it was adapted for use with a Stevens scope, which indexes by means of a pin on the top of the tube pulled back into the notch after firing.

Thanks!  Yes, I should have mentioned the added notch in the top of the ring.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:57am
Print Post  
gewehrfreund wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:04am:
...all I have is Stroebel's book (admittedly, not an authority on 19th century items)...

Truer words ne'er were spake.  (Though he's usually quoted as THE authority!)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Strobel's book is a decent resource, but obviously a great number of omissions, and a few errors too. I think he's more of a sight guy than a scope guy.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

mctaylor250
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Hi gewehrfreund,

Any interest in selling the Stevens #1 mount?

Mike

IP Logged

gewehrfreund

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:11am
Print Post  
mctaylor250 wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:04pm:
Hi gewehrfreund,

Any interest in selling the Stevens #1 mount?

Mike

Possibly, but I have to find out what a fair price is first. I'd hate to be too far either side of that.
I'll be taking it along to the Syracuse gun show tomorrow, and may get some opinions, or buying offers there.
PM me if you have a price in mind.

Lance

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
gewehrfreund wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:11am:
I'll be taking it along to the Syracuse gun show tomorrow, and may get some opinions, or buying offers there.Lance

I'd be surprised if you find anyone there who can help you; 20 yrs ago, there'd have been several who could, but that was before camo & jerky overtook the place--not to mention the harvest of the Grim Reaper.  Best bet is looking for SOLD prices on ebay, but such items don't come up often.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:38pm:
gewehrfreund wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:11am:
I'll be taking it along to the Syracuse gun show tomorrow, and may get some opinions, or buying offers there.Lance

I'd be surprised if you find anyone there who can help you; 20 yrs ago, there'd have been several who could, but that was before camo & jerky overtook the place--not to mention the harvest of the Grim Reaper.  Best bet is looking for SOLD prices on ebay, but such items don't come up often.

I'm hoping Ken Bean will be there, though I think his health has prevented him coming to the last couple shows.
There are a few other old timers who still set up and have some very nice stuff for sale/display.
But the show is certainly nothing like it used to be. That goes double for the Rochester show.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
gewehrfreund wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:22pm:
I'm hoping Ken Bean will be there, though I think his health has prevented him coming to the last couple shows...

Good idea, if he makes it.  I remember when Ken was the "new" sight guy, trying to horn in on what previously had been Gary Fellow's excusive turf!  (One of those harvested by the Reaper, I think.)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:31pm:
gewehrfreund wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:22pm:
I'm hoping Ken Bean will be there, though I think his health has prevented him coming to the last couple shows...

Good idea, if he makes it.  I remember when Ken was the "new" sight guy, trying to horn in on what previously had been Gary Fellow's excusive turf!  (One of those harvested by the Reaper, I think.)

Considering all the bad reviews Gary Fellers has gotten over the years, it wasn't hard for somebody to take over!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 8:48pm:
Considering all the bad reviews Gary Fellers has gotten over the years, it wasn't hard for somebody to take over!

This is true--yet for years, he was THE major sight dealer, setting up half a doz. tables at shows from Texas to New England, when Nick Stroebel was putting out little lists mainly of receiver sights.  (His first wife, however, was a sweetheart, whom I never understood how he landed.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint