Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Old GUN POWDER any Issues ??? Help needed (Read 1484 times)
Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Old GUN POWDER any Issues ??? Help needed
Sep 13th, 2017 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
This afternoon I got a call , and asked if I would be interested in his Grandfather's Loading Powder .....Well
He came by and it all stayed in my Gun Room LoL Lots are unopened full containers .........Any Issues of
loading and shooting as Normal !!! Can anyone tell age by the containers ????? Thanks for your help Ol Deuce
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Old GUN POWDER any Issues ??? Help needed
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I have shot old powders packaged like the ones in your photo. During the powder shortage I used a lot of Unique in the old Fiber 4 lb package. Some of my 4759 is very old.

However I am not saying it's safe. I am told powders will go bad and smell, have no direct experience with it spoiling in any way.

Boats

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Thank you boats.... the 3031 and Unique is what I use and also the IMR4198 ........The Red Keg of Unique caught my
Eye?????    the 2400 is new packaging and some of the hodgens also  !!!!   

Ol Deuce

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
  It sure looks good to me! Give it the sniff test. Just like pussy, if it smells good, it is good; if it smells bad, leave it alone.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 6:36pm:
  It sure looks good to me! Give it the sniff test. Just like pussy, if it smells good, it is good; if it smells bad, leave it alone.

I can deal with that test LoL   The Tuna Boat test Tehehe
Those really old cans of BullsEye?????  Hmmmm

Ol Deuce

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Old powder that has gone bad no longer smells of the ether but smells acrid.  It is obvious.  Sometimes you'll see a redish powder on the bad stuff.  It ALL makes good fertilizer (nitrate heavy).

Older powder may be slightly diminished in performance - but I'm not sure that I would notice any difference.

I've used powder MUCH older than what you picture.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:04pm:
Old powder that has gone bad no longer smells of the ether but smells acrid.  It is obvious.  Sometimes you'll see a redish powder on the bad stuff.  It ALL makes good fertilizer (nitrate heavy).

Oh Ok    Grin Grin Wink Cool   I've got lots of shooting Or lots of
Testing  coming up    Thank You

Ol Deuce

Older powder may be slightly diminished in performance - but I'm not sure that I would notice any difference.

I've used powder MUCH older than what you picture.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
DEUCE:
   The powder will be OK to use, but keep it in a cool place and keep an eye on it -- wouldn't hurt to look in the cabinet monthly.   What to watch for is deteriorating cans.    Nitrocellulose is thermodynamically unstable, and gunpowder made with it has diphenylamine and other nitric oxide scavengers in it.  When they are used up, the powder is done for.   Emits nitric oxide, which will rust the cans, etc.   The thing to do then is to sprinkle it in the garden as fertilizer.
     I have had some WWII powder go bad, but none of the modern sporting powders.   Curiously, I have one of the old "drums" of HERCO, similar to your can of Unique, and still have some of the little  square cans, one of HiVel #2.   The thing to remember is that it ALL has some finite life-time, which depends strongly on its thermal history.   The cooler it is kept, the longer it will last.   And DO keep an eye on it, especially if you have a lot of powder stored together.   It might make quite a fire if you don't catch a rusty can when you should.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

LONG RANGE

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
It doesn't look very old to me. By the way, the year of MFG is printed on the label. Every time I go to the range I shoot large capacity cases using 4759 MFG in Nov 1973. All the powder I see in your picture are much newer than most powders I use.

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:33pm:
DEUCE:
   The powder will be OK to use, but keep it in a cool place and keep an eye on it -- wouldn't hurt to look in the cabinet monthly.   What to watch for is deteriorating cans.    Nitrocellulose is thermodynamically unstable, and gunpowder made with it has diphenylamine and other nitric oxide scavengers in it.  When they are used up, the powder is done for.   Emits nitric oxide, which will rust the cans, etc.   The thing to do then is to sprinkle it in the garden as fertilizer.
     I have had some WWII powder go bad, but none of the modern sporting powders.   Curiously, I have one of the old "drums" of HERCO, similar to your can of Unique, and still have some of the little  square cans, one of HiVel #2.   The thing to remember is that it ALL has some finite life-time, which depends strongly on its thermal history.   The cooler it is kept, the longer it will last.   And DO keep an eye on it, especially if you have a lot of powder stored together.   It might make quite a fire if you don't catch a rusty can when you should.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

Thank You Chris.. Thats good Info  all this powder was a basement  storage  area!!  Mice crapped on some of cans!
But most is still sealed...

Ol Deuce!!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Powder is good depending on how it's been stored. If it hasn't gotten extremely hot or damp, it will be fine. I have some that's 60 years old and is great.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 12:18am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 11:30pm:
Powder is good depending on how it's been stored. If it hasn't gotten extremely hot or damp, it will be fine. I have some that's 60 years old and is great.

Thank you  Marlinguy !!  Grin   Those that are opened seem
to have a good smell  ! More than I can use but it won't go to waste............... Wink   Ol Deuce

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
That's just shootin' powder here at my place. Plenty of cans older than that here.  In fact, I have a can of Dupont #5 that I shot some of a while ago, and its paper box still contains nice smelling powder that worked swell. About half of my jugs are marked Dupont rather than the newer name. Storage here is good- dry and even temp. No mice to crap on the cans either. Sniff it and load it, Deuce.  Smiley

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 1:25pm:
That's just shootin' powder here at my place. Plenty of cans older than that here.  In fact, I have a can of Dupont #5 that I shot some of a while ago, and its paper box still contains nice smelling powder that worked swell. About half of my jugs are marked Dupont rather than the newer name. Storage here is good- dry and even temp. No mice to crap on the cans either. Sniff it and load it, Deuce.  Smiley

The sniff trick saved the day for sure....All the IMR that
had been opened smelled really Good  Wink and the New
sealed stuff will find a good spot to hide Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Ol Deuce

IP Logged

shafer44

Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
I have a 15# keg of Unique that I bought in 1979 and I am still using it and have no problem.  The way I was told was that if powder has a very strong ammonia type smell to it, then it has gone bad.  I also have 4350, old AA 3100 that they quit making a long time ago, AA Magnum Rifle....not even made anymore.  The only powder that I have had go bad is black powder substitutes, like Black Canyon, old Pyrodex....they end up lumping together and smells like brown sugar.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint