Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Northern CA Fires (Read 567 times)
JerryH
Senior Forum Member

AKA Jerry_H

Northern CA Fires
Oct 12th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Just got bad news that one of the members on this forum (a friend of mine) has lost his house, rifles, and I suspect most everything to fire in Northern CA. I know others on here must be in the same danger. My thoughts and prayers go out to them, and to everyone else involved in any way.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Northern CA Fires
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
JerryH wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 6:36pm:
Just got bad news that one of the members on this forum (a friend of mine) has lost his house, rifles, and I suspect most everything to fire in Northern CA. I know others on here must be in the same danger. My thoughts and prayers go out to them, and to everyone else involved in any way.

JerryH

Is this the same person I also know? John Y.? I spoke with him and he said he was awoken by the sound of fire and barely got out with a few things he could carry to his car!
Breaks my heart to know what all he lost, but he's a strong guy in heart and soul, and handling things better than I could!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JerryH
Senior Forum Member

AKA Jerry_H

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Vall,

Yes, that's who I was referring to. I heard it secondhand from another friend.

JerryH

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Praying for him, and all those who lost so much!

Vall

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
For my information and for others who live in the East how close would you
allow a fire that is out of control get to your house before it would be a good
idea to evacuate?  How fast are these fires moving in an hours time?
   I know back here it is hard to imagine a fire moving that fast.  Now we have
other natural disasters that happen that the West doesn't have but fires are
not too much of a problem in Ohio.

IP Logged

JerryH
Senior Forum Member

AKA Jerry_H

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
It would depend on the fire and where you are for determining when to leave.

With the winds they are having these fires are burning the length of a football field every 3 seconds. No typos there, a football field length every 3 seconds.

You have very little to no warning when they first start. I have no idea how I would cope with this. Fortunately I live in the Central Valley and we have no fire danger here.

I do have two cousins in the fire area and wish they would leave, but for now they're staying. Wetting everything down and hoping for the best.

JerryH

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I live in Northern California, just over 100 miles north of the most northerly of the fires.  The smoke arrived here about 4:30 Monday afternoon, looked a lot like the dust clouds in those photos of the Dust Bowl, except that you could see into it.  Clouds maybe 1,000 feet high & 10 miles wide, coming down the Eel River valley.  The Redwood Valley fire is just over the watershed divide and the smoke blew our way.  Tuesday AM visibility was < 1000 feet.  I could taste the smoke and feel it on my eyeballs.  Tuesday was Schuetzen day.  Really great shooting conditions; no glare or mirage, not much wind.

Our phone & e-mails have been going non-stop since Monday. We have lived here in the redwoods since 1974 and have a lot of friends who have had to move south to stay employed.  People have lost homes, businesses, vehicles, relatives & friends. 

What seems to bother an awful lot of people is the loss of pets.  The fire is coming fast, maybe as fast as 30 mph when going uphill, and maybe it is jumping when a tree crown ignites or gas BBQ explodes, throwing burning material up into a 30 mph wind.  If you live in a mobile home (or a fancy mansion) you may literally have only two or three minutes to grab your stuff and run.  You call the pet, but the pet is terrified & hides.  After a minute or so, you have no choice but to leave.  You can leave the door open, but after that?  And what do you go back to?

You have heard about people being "lost or unaccounted for".  A lot of that is because cell phones just stopped working and the internet crashed in places.  Rural fire depts keep lists of phone numbers and start robo-call warnings to leave, but they don't have a good way to keep the lists updated.  When the smoke clears and the finger-pointing begins, a lot of fingers will point at AT&T.  They have promised redundancy for 20 years but have never done anything.

The fires have closed a lot of the main roads.  US 101 is or was closed in at least 2 places.  There are very few main east-west roads.  Many are closed.

15 mph is 22 feet a second.  The fires can cover a city block in less than a minute in a 15 or 20 mph wind.

IP Logged

JerryH
Senior Forum Member

AKA Jerry_H

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
waterman,

I'm glad to hear that you're OK. I really have no idea where everyone on the forum from Northern Ca lives, I just know that many could be in danger.

Hopefully some others will check in with good news.

JerryH

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 12:00am
Print Post  
My only experience with fire was a few years back when I had my local fire department burn off about 12 acres of CRP ground that had a long term stand of native prarie grass on it. They did it for a training excerise and I donated cash to their orginazation. They did this on  a calm day in the spring under carefully controlled conditions. Whenever a little wind picked up it was scarry as hell. I can't imagine what the conditions in California are like. Everynone out there needs to be carefull.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:43am
Print Post  
cheatin_charlie wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:22pm:
For my information and for others who live in the East how close would you
allow a fire that is out of control get to your house before it would be a good
idea to evacuate? 

Not sure if there's a blanket answer to your question, as it depends on more than just distance. It's also what's in that distance, and whether it's rural grasslands, trees, or more structures.
Late this summer we had some idiot set off fireworks  in the Columbia River Gorge, and with winds and extremely dry conditions the fire erupted quickly. That area is 25 miles from our home, and close 15 miles from the first heavily populated areas. We had ash falling like snow here, but I had no real concerns to cause me to even begin thinking of packing any valuables. But had it reached populated areas uncontrolled, I'd have begun packing things I wanted to keep, and fill the back of my Suburban as much as possible.
But it also depends on the time of day. With fires moving rapidly, things might change drastically in an 8 hour night, and never know what you might awaken to!

Vall

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Thanks all,  back east it is hard to imagine what a fire like that is like.

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Speaking of scary. That Gorge fire jumped the Columbia river. If I got the right
place the river is about 2 Km wide at that point but much narrower upstream.
Both the Jolly Mt fire and Norse Creek were spotting a quarter mile or more ahead
of the main fire. That makes ground suppression really dangerous. Cheat grass when
dry is almost explosive.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Oct 13th, 2017 at 11:02am:
Speaking of scary. That Gorge fire jumped the Columbia river. If I got the right
place the river is about 2 Km wide at that point but much narrower upstream.
Both the Jolly Mt fire and Norse Creek were spotting a quarter mile or more ahead
of the main fire. That makes ground suppression really dangerous. Cheat grass when
dry is almost explosive.

We wanted to share with Washington since it was a guy from Vancouver, Wa. that started that fire!

Vall

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Val, When the Cascadia quake comes we will be moving 23 feet to the southwest.  What will Oregon do to get even for that one?  Huh

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Oct 13th, 2017 at 1:13pm:
Val, When the Cascadia quake comes we will be moving 23 feet to the southwest.  What will Oregon do to get even for that one?  Huh

Well hopefully it's more West than South!! Wink I'm thinking a new island off the Washington/Oregon Coast!

Vall

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint