Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dave Manson Precision Reamers (Read 766 times)
only1shot
Junior Forum Member

Dave Manson Precision Reamers
Nov 10th, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
    Hi all:
I have a customer service story to tell.
I needed a .22 rimfire reamer for an August Stukenbrok, Einbek single shot rifle I am building.
I am installing a Green Mountain barrel on this rifle and have never reamed a chamber before. I was going to call Dave Manson Precision Reamers and order a reamer.
I noticed his web site had an address and his business is only 10 miles from my house in Burton, Michigan. I drove out there yesterday morning and Mr. Manson was in his office.
I explained what I was wanting to do and showed him my rifle barrel. He suggested a Bentz reamer and took me to where the pre-ground reamers are stored. He measured different sized precision pins
until he found one that fit the bore of my barrel.
He measured about 20 different reamers and none had A pilot small enough to fit my barrel. He said that if I wanted to come back later in the day, my reamer would be re-ground and ready.
It was only going to cost $5.00 more to make the reamer with a removable pilot, so I said yes. He went thru a box of pilots and found one small enough for my barrel. It was .2155 inches. I told him I would come back the next day.
I went back this morning and met Mr. Manson in his office. The reamer was ready. As I was going to pay my bill, he asked me if I would like the 5 cent tour of his machine shop. Of course I would!
He took me into the shop and we started where the raw material comes in. We went thru the shop to each work station and watched as reamers were being cut and ground.There is a mixture of manual and CNC equipment.
As we were  finishing the tour, Mr. Manson asked me if I had any cutting fluid. I told him no, so he took a plastic container and poured a generous amount of cutting fluid into it for me.
Since I was going to ream the barrel by hand, he gave me some pointers on how to do the job. He said to contact him if I run into any problems.
Dave Manson is a real professional and a soft spoken gentleman. As I was paying my bill, his office manager said she wanted to show me something on her computer. Low and behold, she had pictures of two large wild pigs she had taken with her Gary Reeder single shot pistol!
  What an enjoyable couple of hours I had with Dave Manson.

I hope you all have a great day,

Bill.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Dave Manson Precision Reamers
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Isn't is nice when we are lucky enough to run into some folks like that? Every now and then it happens to me- carries me through quite a few of the encounters that go less well. Thanks fer the story, and kudos to Mr. Manson and all.  Smiley
You all get this week's attaboy.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:08pm by calledflyer »  

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Dave Manson is a great guy to deal with.

Chris.

ASSRA member 11212

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Heartily agree that Dave Manson is a fabulous resource, especially for anything out of the ordinary.  I lived nearby myself for 15 years, but ashamed to say I never made an occasion to drop in on him.  Maybe because he's so easy to deal with via email.

<div class=

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Very nice of you to share your experience and I am sure it will be very helpful to him as those like myself who have not done business with him in the past would now like to do just that thanks to your taking the time.

JLouis

IP Logged

SBoomer
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I have done business with Dave since his Loon Lake Precision days and still have a couple reamers etched so. Every conversation was enjoyable. Dave has made plenty of specials for me over the years at very little over the standard cost and delivery. Top notch!
Mike Cushway

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Have heard a lot of good things about Manson reamers, so it's great to also hear about the business and the owner! Thanks for the review!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
In these times it is getting more difficult to figure out where to go and who to trust and I found the post on Manson to be extremely refreshing for a very welcomed change.

JLouis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
I went to Dave Manson's web site, but couldn't locate pricing? Am I missing something, or does one have to call them to get pricing?

Vall

IP Logged

craigd
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 12:14am
Print Post  
mg, if you haven't found it yet, try products/catalog. Then, the first link is June 2017. To me, it's a far and few between example of a specialty company making a good effort at being thorough.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 8:44am
Print Post  
When I called Dave to request a DT designed reamer he said he had a few and would measure them to see which one matched my request. To call him back in an hour. Called him back and he had what I needed. He drop-shipped to John Taylor, who still has this DT designed 40-65 reamer. The Hepburn that John put a Grn Mtn 14.5" twist barrel on and chambered for me is a most accurate (out to 1000yd) rifle to this day. Can't recommend Dave Manson & his products more highly.

Glenn

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 9:31am
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 12:14am:
mg, if you haven't found it yet, try products/catalog. Then, the first link is June 2017. To me, it's a far and few between example of a specialty company making a good effort at being thorough.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for!

Vall

IP Logged

JerryH
Oldtimer

AKA Jerry_H

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I called Dave Manson Precision Reamers a number of months ago about an upcoming project. The lady I talked with took my information, and later that same day I had a drawing from Dave Manson for the reamer I was asking about.

Many months later I was ready to order the reamer, with a few changes. I called and was told Dave was out to lunch but he would get back to me.

True to their word Dave called me right back. After some discussion/changes I ordered my reamer. Dave was very helpful, and extremely patient with my questions.

From the beginning I told Dave I had never ordered a reamer from him before, and that I was, at best, a novice gunsmith. He treated me like I was ordering thousands of dollars of product from him every month.

Dave Manson will have my business and endorsement from now on.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:38am
Print Post  
I heartily agree with all the good things said above.  I bought reamers from the other side of the country before I started buying them from Manson, and the difference in the customer service is night and day.  I only buy from Manson now; and every reamer I have gotten from him has been precisely on the drawing, and has worked flawlessly.

IP Logged

BillOregon
Junior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Concur that Dave makes a wonderful product and is just a great guy to deal with.
I have met Dave Kiff -- he measured an original .40-90 Peabody What Cheer cartridge I had on loan from a collector and made a reamer print from it. Very nice guy. But I waited for months for a reamer in another caliber from PTG, and should have ordered it from Manson. Lesson learned.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint