Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Strength of older single shots using smokeless (Read 2203 times)
Bearskinner
Junior Forum Member

Re: Strength of older single shots using smokeless
Reply #15 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Fortunately the shop I acquired it from, is also a manufacturer and they did a complete inspection and clean on it. Otherwise it would be a $600. Wall hanger. I donít ever plan on using hot or even warm loads in it, as I do understand the strength of metals from over 100 years ago, is nothing like modern firearms can handle. I appreciate any concerns of firing smokeless in a blackpowder firearm, and take them seriously.

IP Logged

Premod70

Reply #16 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Bearskinner, I appreciate your understanding of the rifles limitations, too many don't. Also, welcome to the forum.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
My Colt 1911 is 102 years old this year (sobering isn't it). Maybe I should start shooting black in it.

IP Logged

Longdistance1

Reply #18 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I suppose that now I'll have to work up a blackpowder load for my 1878 Borchardt in 225 Winchester,  now that it's 139 years old.  Grin  Grin
LD1

IP Logged

Premod70

Reply #19 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Longdistance1 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:42pm:
I suppose that now I'll have to work up a blackpowder load for my 1878 Borchardt in 225 Winchester,† now that it's 139 years old.† GrinGrin
LD1

Let's see, I have a original 78 Sharps and since your 78 can withstand a 50,000+psi cartridge I can use the same loads as those listed for the Ruger#1 in 45-70.,,....right?......I think not.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
One thing forgotten is what happens if a case ruptures. Actions built for high pressure cartridges have a path for gas to follow if something goes wrong. Look at the hole left side of 03 actions. CPA added a escape hole bottom of the breech block. Original Stevens did not have it.

Any single shot action built for low pleasure Black Powder cartridge loads should be loaded conservatively, no matter how strong it appears. Case letís go the gas is going to come out the sides of the breech block or worse. Even High Walls perhaps the strongest SS loaded with higher pressure cartridges like the 30/40 has a different tolarence when itís used with a thin case like the 45/70

My opinion

Boats

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:18pm:
Longdistance1 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:42pm:
I suppose that now I'll have to work up a blackpowder load for my 1878 Borchardt in 225 Winchester,† now that it's 139 years old.† GrinGrin
LD1

Let's see, I have a original 78 Sharps and since your 78 can withstand a 50,000+psi cartridge I can use the same loads as those listed for the Ruger#1 in 45-70.,,....right?......I think not.

Don't tempt me, please.

Still Deplorable

IP Logged

Premod70

Reply #22 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Boats, I agree and will add that a bunch of folks understand the burst case and the damage from the gases but fail to consider the pressure increases of smokeless powder when there is a obstruction whether a wad or otherwise. The best of steels will fail and the vast majority of black powder era actions are not designed to protect the shooter from high pressure gases although they will do a fine job with the pressures of black powder. What is considered a low pressure load can be turned into a high pressure bomb with smokeless powder, something that is not doable with black powder since it is at it's peak pressure from the get go.

LD1, I'm more than willing to learn and will appreciate any knowledge you may share on the subject.

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Ken Waters" Pet Loads" offers some input on the strength of various BP era actions in the 45/70 section. He breaks BP action down into three groups based on strength. He also offers some smokeless loads. This site offers a download but use caution in downloading. I HAVE NOT DOWNLOADED FROM THIS SITE.†They offer a free trial but want to sell a subscription.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #24 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Not long ago I joined a bullet casting forum. Since then when I see what people do with their hand loads I have lost all hope for humanity. Darwin is shurly at work here. The general frame of mind is to take any cartridge and stuff as much powder in it as possible if there is room left over stuff some Dacron in there to take up the space. Cast some bullets out of anything you can find as long as it's hard. Then scrub the bores unti its squeaky clean in your bore scope. Wonder why it isn't accurate.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #25 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:36pm:
low pleasure Black Powder cartridge loads

Boats

I like that!

Not everyone is experienced enough to own and shoot BP era single shots and reload with smokeless powders. And those who do so with success haven't just tossed a case full of smokeless in and shot them in their guns.
It almost sounds like the general consensus I hear from those shooting black powder is that everyone is too stupid to use smokeless in BP era guns, and black powder should be used instead, because all these idiots can't hurt themselves using black powder.
When smokeless powders were introduced before 1900, almost everyone immediately switched to smokeless. Even the cartridge manufacturers were quick to offer almost every cartridge they offered in BP, in smokeless cartridges. And back then they didn't have nearly the amount of load data we have to reference today. I'm amazed so many guns survived, and so many shooters too, considering how dangerous smokeless powders are in these old guns. Those oldtimers must have been smarter than we are today?
Schuetzen shooters were probably some of the first to switch to smokeless, and with results that soon found every shooter using smokeless in mostly BP era guns.
But somehow today we've dumbed down the general gun owners and it's no longer safe to load smokeless in old guns.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #26 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I suspect that the early smokeless powders were created as exactly that.† loads similar to the standard BL loads but with less smoke and less powder fouling------with military-battlefield usage driving the need/solution process.† Fouled barrels and smoke bedimmed battlefields caused no end of tactical problems.† †† †
I think the chemistry of burning curves and cartridge/barrel pressure were just figured out by evolutionary process.† As long as projectiles were basically lubed lead pressure was not too much of a problem as long as it was a basic combustion problem typical of BP.† †But as powder chemistry advanced, the compounds became more complex and the ignition lead to rapid detonation rather than combustion and the pressures stated spiking.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:00pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Hear, Hear, Vall. That's just so darn to the point that it'll stand as my case whenever the subject comes up. I've shot smokeless in every black powder era gun I've ever used. Mentored by the older generation, and the writings of those like Ken Waters, I've enjoyed them for nearly forty years. And, in addition, I've managed to escape Boats' "low pleasure" of black powder- wads, grease cookies, buckets of water to soak cases, filthy guns, stinky smoke and irate people at the range.
Considerable savings in cash to boot.
Good job you two. Share the day's attaboy Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #28 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
I suspect that the early smokeless powders were created as exactly that.† loads similar to the standard BL loads but with less smoke and less powder fouling

This is indeed true with some early smokeless powders! Fortunately some of the early smokeless powder cans had load data on the back, and one can of "Schuetzen Smokeless" by Du Pont that I own says it is designed as a bulk powder to fill the case, just like black powder.
But others I own such as Schultze (also by Du Pont) were much faster burning,† and it specifies the can of powder is "about 7 oz.", but is equal to one pound of black powder. So shooters had to figure out the ratio, and know what to do when using this powder in BP cartridges.
From what I've seen of early smokeless powders, they can be equal to BP, but more often a bit faster. And very soon after introduction they went mostly to faster burning powders.

Most people generally accept that smokeless powders came out around the mid 1890 era. But that's actually 10 years after the French came out with the first smokeless powders! The 8mm Lebel was the first cartridge introduced that was loaded with smokeless powder. The Lebel's 8mm ammo reached velocities of 2,000 fps in a gun made in 1886! The previous French Gras was a 1400 fps cartridge. It pretty much revolutionized ammunition, and caught everyone off guard with it's performance. Took the rest of the world a decade to catch up!
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2017 at 1:41pm by marlinguy »  

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
The old WRA catalogs listed the Black Powder charge grain weight, bullet weight and lead/tin ratio for their various factory loaded cartridges.

And while WRA listed various versions loaded with smokeless as they became available, WRA did NOT provide smokeless loading info, and warned against reloading with the new fangled smokeless powders that came out during that era.

Considering that the modern-day ammunition companies often use smokeless powders that are not identical to the over-the-counter lots we can currently purchase, I think the ammunition companies had very good reasons way back then for staying silent with their early smokeless powder load data.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint