Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What old 22 centerfire is the most accurate (Read 5974 times)
rkba2nd

Re: What old 22 centerfire is the most accurate
Reply #15 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
From the gentleman's original post it seemed to me that he was considering the roller for the bbl job. As for the PPC case whether 6 or 22, they usually run best at high pressure limits. The hornet and K version, both of which I now have and others in the past, don't exhibit the potential for the kind of accuracy he is looking for, although new powders and bullets have improved that situation. Extreme accuracy, such as that demonstrated by modern day benchrest shooters with bolt guns, far surpasses that capable with most single shot rifles. Before hackles rise, I did say most! I still think that a round based on the 222,223, 222mag, or Fireball case, or if he could be coerced into a 6mm version, would prove ideal. whew, I'm done. My best wishes sir.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

BudHyett
Junior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:52pm:
The 225 Winchester is one to consider, very close to the old Donaldson Wasp.

Semi-rimmed, brass is made every half-decade, 300 rounds of brass should wear out the barrel, accurate, varmint velocities with 55 grain bullet.

I have a friend who owns this cartridge in  Model 70 and it does well on ground squirrels, sage rats, and prairie dogs. He bought it cheap due to  the odd caliber.

IP Logged

rkba2nd

Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
I would guess that the next question would be, which half decade. I have not seen any offered for more than a decade. I have plenty, but there are many who have wildcats (most J D Jones) based on the case, so demand is substantial, considering the quantity produced. I do know, for a fact, that there is an abundance of 222,223,221 brass available, including superior brass from Lapua,and Norma for all three.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
There's also 5.56x50R brass available.  No need to fuss with an extractor for rimless.  My stash is headstamped HP, which I think is Hirtenberger.

flectere si nequeo superos, acheronta movebo

IP Logged

Marlene

Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I suppose the big question is what the OP means by "old".

I think the 222 is an excellently accurate cartridge, but if that's not old enough, the Donaldson Wasp would be pretty cool.

If I was going to deal with the trouble of brass that's harder to obtain, I'd think about having RMC turn me up a few dozen cases for a 22-15-60 Stevens, which I have always wanted. I bet it'd be a peach with jacketed bullets and some 4227.

IP Logged

MRL
Junior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
219 Zipper I have a High wall that shoots about1/2" Form brass from Hornady 25-35 brass one pass in a full length die trim and shoot.

Mark

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
MRL, what twist and what weight bullets are you sending down the tube?  Even though I can go rimless I like the idea of a case that is easily made in a caliber that finding factory ammo for loaded to higher pressures than a roller can digest is not a problem.  The Wasp might be more accurate but somebody down the road might load it too hot and making cases is a pain.  I sure don't miss the 219 Imp barrel that was on my Borchardt as I lost so much brass reforming.  The new Hornady 25-35 brass is better but I still lose some when making 6mm/30-30 Imp for my other roller.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

rkba2nd

Reply #22 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
There is always the 220 Saunders Krag, 224 Pfeifer rimmed, 22 Newton, 22 Neidner Krag, and on and on and on. I would suggest you get a copy of 22 Caliber Varmint Rifles, and Woodchucks and Woodchuck Rifles, and 22 Caliber Rifle Shooting all by Charles Landis, Practical Dope On The 22 by Ness, P.O. Ackleys Handbook for Shooters and Handloaders, Wildcat Cartridges by Simmons, Modern Accuracy by Wallack. and a series, The Ultimate in Rifle Precision, Edited by Townsend Whelen, published in 1949,1951,1952, 1954 and 1958. There are more, but these should get you going. As Grace Slick once sang, Feed Your Head!! I swear this is the end!! Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

beltfed
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Don't forget a Real old Classic:
the 22-3000 R2 Lovell.  easily formed form 25-20SS brass
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Junior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:04pm:
If you want to go farther afield, Charles Landis' .22 Caliber Varmint Rifles should be consulted.

This. It should be required reading for anyone contemplating a custom .22 centerfire build.

IP Logged

MRL
Junior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Tom
I shoot a 50 gr. Sierra soft points.  I just can't put plastic tipped bullets in something like that it just doesn't look right to me. I don't know the maker or the twist of the barrel, but I would think any good barrel maker would have something that would work.

Mark

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
what about the .22s&w jet???  maybe it will be in my next tube, as I have a mod 53 s&w 22jet and a tube full of cases..what say U
I already have a .32 mill short for one of my CPA's and its aw hoot at 200m...

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 1:24am
Print Post  
The 22 S&W Jet makes a fine rifle cartridge if you have a rifle that has a very fine trigger system and fast lock time. Recoil is nill, and easy to reload, 2400 works well in it.
Ld1

IP Logged

IOwnDoubles

Reply #28 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 1:11am
Print Post  
I just bought a .221 fireball and in researching it found it was loaded to higher psi than the .222 rem so just a word of caution... I love my hornets have a river number 1 and a cz bolt. Fun guns

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
As was stated early on...be careful what you wish for ... i.e. which can of worms. Wink
To be logical about this I would pick a case close in size to the 22 ppc. However, this implies operating pressures that are  going to push the limits of a roller; especially since they are not the stiffest action to begin with. I guess it depends on what you want: a good/fun plinker vs a tack driver.
With some work one could rework 25-35 cases into something usable. Mentioned earlier was, IIRC, the 5.6x52R. In a slightly smaller diameter case would be a necked down 357 maximum case.
Rollers are not going to have fast lock times. A striker of which there seem to be only a few choices might be more suited
All said and done you have to live with your choice so all I can really say is have fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint