Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Testing the waters 25-20SS (Read 600 times)
29aholic
Junior Forum Member
**
Offline



Posts: 43
Location: West Central Missouri
Joined: Nov 10th, 2014
Testing the waters 25-20SS
Jan 12th, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
So, a friend of mine bought a Low Wall thinking it was 25-20WCF (I was sure it wasn't and I was right) and it is a 25-20SS

He is going to need brass, dies, the whole loading works. I say testing the waters as we have not received it yet and need to do the inspection. I am fairly certain he will keep it though.

So I am reaching out to the good folks here to help get him set up.

my email is cbrier4677@yahoo.com

Thanks folks
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
oneatatime
Oldtimer
*****
Offline



Posts: 825
Location: Rocky Mountains
Joined: Oct 30th, 2011
Re: Testing the waters 25-20SS
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Buffalo Arms has Jamison brass. 25-20 WCF dies will work fine (only necksizing is necessary). A 223 shellholder will work with 98% of that brass (the other 2% will just need a quick swipe with a file on the rim). Lyman 257420 works great.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
art_ruggiero
Senior Forum Member
****
Offline



Posts: 442
Location: CT
Joined: Dec 14th, 2008
Re: Testing the waters 25-20SS
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
or breach seat it with a plugged case and forget the dies   very easy    art
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Roy B
Newbie
*
Offline



Posts: 5
Location: Southeast USA
Joined: May 2nd, 2009
Re: Testing the waters 25-20SS
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
I have 25/20SS dies.  I will sell them for $100.  Email me at fj60@earthlink.net if interested.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Smoke
Full Member
***
Offline



Posts: 240
Location: San Diego
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013
Re: Testing the waters 25-20SS
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
If you don't need all the dies you can get sets or individual dies from ch4d.com
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist
*****
Offline


Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Posts: 1639
Location: St. Albert
Joined: Jan 28th, 2005
Re: Testing the waters 25-20SS
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
CPA Rifles sells a .25-20 SS plugged case breech seater.

The .25-20 SS cases are thin and wear out from sizing them.

With the breech seater you push a bulllet into the rifle throat and then remove the seater.
You then insert a previously fired case with powder into the chamber.
A wad plugs the neck like a cork.
Never put the wad down on the powder; to prevent ringing of the throat or barrel.
You only use fired cases and there is no need to use dies.
This way your cases will last for over a hundred firings.

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2018 at 3:27pm by Schuetzendave »  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
beltfed
Oldtimer
*****
Offline



Posts: 634
Location: Central Wi
Joined: Dec 20th, 2007
Re: Testing the waters 25-20SS
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
AND it doesn't hurt to anneal the case necks so they
seal easily.
beltfed/arnie
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist
*****
Offline


Emperor of the Noodleheads.

Posts: 9326
Location: The West of coarse
Joined: May 29th, 2006
Re: Testing the waters 25-20SS
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Don't help him here in the for sale and trade section. He'll decide to keep it. Tell him to post in the reloading section. Somebody tell him.





                 Joe.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint