Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Front Sight Height - Winchester/Miroku 1885 (Read 2699 times)
Dr.J
Junior Forum Member

Front Sight Height - Winchester/Miroku 1885
Jan 22nd, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Id like to replace the front sight on my .22 Winchester/ Miroku with a Lyman 17A, but do not know the height of the original.  Does anyone know the height of the original front sight ?  I have a Lyman 17A AUG, that is .584 high, that looks like it might work.  Thanks in advance for your help.  Tom

IP Logged

Ranch13
Senior Forum Member

Re: Front Sight Height - Winchester/Miroku 1885
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
The bead front sight is .412

IP Logged

Dr.J
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Is that from the base of the dovetail? Thanks

IP Logged

Ranch13
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  
No that's from the top of the sight base to the top. If you're going to be using that Lyman 17 with a tang sight, you're going to want to tallest one you can get, other wise shooting under 50 yards is really tough to get your cheek scrunched into the stock hard enough to get a good sight picture.

IP Logged

Dr.J
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I will be shooting at 50 and 100 meters.  Am I correct in assuming that the Lyman 17A with a height of .854 would be a better choice than the sight with a height of .584? Would  it appear in the field of you when using an MVA Winchester the scope? I appreciate the help.  Tom

IP Logged

Ranch13
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
That  tall one is about right for 50 and 100 meters, and didn't take an excessive amount of elevation to reach 200 meters. That MVA scope will show you just about any front sight that you might have on the rifle due to the short barrel. My suggestion is to use that rifle as a dedicated iron sight or scope, going back and forth doesn't yield particularly good results.

IP Logged

Fogman

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 11:11am
Print Post  
While we are talking about front sights, I bought my wife a Win Miroku 1885 .22 for .22 BPCR shooting. It has been drilled and tapped for a scope with the rear mounting holes in the action. I plan to put a MVA "B" scope No 2 on it and use the rear sight dovetail for the forward scope mount. There is a height difference between the rear mount on the action and the forward mount on the barrel flat. Will I be seeing the front sight through the scope? It has the front sight it came with.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Even if the front sight is pretty tall, I doubt your scope will see it. It can't focus that close.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
When we shot the full 22 RF aggregate course of fire at TRR, Any Sight/ IS ~ BR/ OH, I had an original BSA sight on my Martini and never saw in in my scope.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 1:35pm:
When we shot the full 22 RF aggregate course of fire at TRR, Any Sight/ IS ~ BR/ OH, I had an original BSA sight on my Martini and never saw in in my scope.

So that's how false muzzles ended up going down range... couldn't see the pin sticking up when looking through a scope.      Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Ranch13
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Fogman wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 11:11am:
While we are talking about front sights, I bought my wife a Win Miroku 1885 .22 for .22 BPCR shooting. It has been drilled and tapped for a scope with the rear mounting holes in the action. I plan to put a MVA "B" scope No 2 on it and use the rear sight dovetail for the forward scope mount. There is a height difference between the rear mount on the action and the forward mount on the barrel flat. Will I be seeing the front sight through the scope? It has the front sight it came with.

You'll need a taller block for that front mount. It might be possible to machine the Leather wood bases to fit the MVA mounts, but I don't like the way that front base on the Leatherwoods are held in place with a simple set screw.
I ran 2 different scopes on my Miroku, and the front sight shadow is there whether that front sight was the factory post, an MVA, or a Baldwin.
Just a better bet to use the gun as a dedicated scope rifle, drift the front sight out and install a filler block, based on my experience running that rifle for a number of years in 22bpcr competition.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint