Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scopes that don't look out of place (Read 6904 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Scopes that don't look out of place
Reply #30 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I was looking for an image of that German SS with the Lyman Alaskan scope on it and only found one and it is really small but shows that it doesn't look too out of place and also that the Alaskan has the tube length and turrets in a good place to get the ocular back where it is usable with barrel mounts.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
It's no doubt nice for one to try and find something traditional looking but for the sole purpose of successful hunting there is really no need to achieve something that is only required just for the sole purpose of traditional competitive shooting. It is by far more important to come up with a scope that can achieve a clean humane kill on the game being pursued than trying to look cool and have them suffer from the lack of having the correct scope needed to accomplish it.

JLouis

IP Logged

Tentman
Junior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the replies so far, appreciated.  I am a bit lucky, in that being a "down under colonial" I don't have to slavishly follow one style, and as well as US scopes I feel that a German or Austrian optic could also look appropriate. 

A very helpful PM alerted me the  fact that I had not disclosed that the scope wasn't to be mounted to an original barrel, I think I'll get a second lighter barrel (in the same chamber) to do the scoped thing with.  None the less the optic must suit the rifle in terms of performance (power and image etc) and aesthetics.

IP Logged

Tentman
Junior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Joe - I mainly hunt Red deer and Tahr.  I know that the Swiss have a special cartridge (10.3x60R) that as far as I know is always used in single shot rifles that is mandated for Chamois (i.e. Mountain hunting) in one of the Cantons.  I don't like the style of them much but at least it demonstrates that other folks are mad enough to do likewise.

IP Logged

Tentman
Junior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 4:42pm:
I was looking for an image of that German SS with the Lyman Alaskan scope on it and only found one and it is really small but shows that it doesn't look too out of place and also that the Alaskan has the tube length and turrets in a good place to get the ocular back where it is usable with barrel mounts.

This is the sort of practical solution that I was hoping to find variation on.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 2:13pm:
If you are going to use it for hunting having a sealed weatherproof scope would be a consideration. Nothing like pulling up on a big buck and finding a fogged scope you can't see through. Which of the older ones are sealed?

Having hunted in USA with both old, non-weather tight scopes and with modern well sealed scopes (nearly all Leupolds), I am VERY reluctant to hunt with a non-weather tight scope, even in desert areas. I have a nice MVA 6X 23" "malcomb-type" scope that is just as good as my various Leupolds in dry weather and stationary targets. But its 10 foot field of view at 100 yds would  often be a real disadvantage in hunting -- 20 to 40 feet at 100 yds is much better.

IP Logged

AZshot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I think  having another barrel made, for the scope, is a good idea.  I'd still go with something somewhat old fashioned and small.  No use putting a mil-dot illuminated wonder scope on an antique single shot. 

I assume you don't shoot at long ranges, so you don't need more than about 8x.  For centerfire, you need a somewhat robust scope, so I'd consider the Weavers.  This one is much sharper and brighter than the Mossberg tube scope that was on it before.  Weaver J2.5 with power pooster to about 6X. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

For fair weather hunting, I'd feel OK using one of these old Weavers.  If  you need sealed optics, you have to go towards the Weaver Alaskan, Leupolds, or Lyman All Americans to still be "old" types.

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #37 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Its all very well having an old scope on a vintage rifle at the range or for the odd afternoon hunt in fine weather but if your away from civilization for any length of time you have to have, in my hard learned and  personal view a decent modern scope and iron sights on your rifle as a back up.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #38 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:06am
Print Post  
you have a several things to balance out.  Its all about compromises
"looks right" :      Most of the scopes that shaped our image of single-shot "appropriateness" were early TARGET or VARMINT RIFLE scopes. Most had external adjust mounts, fairly fragile, and a narrow field of view. few were weather tight. and all were long enough to reach back to the shooters eye and recoil was not a major factor.  They tend to be heavy and bulky---suitable for shooting off a bench or "stand" hunting but awkward for field use.

optics good enough for hunting:    weather tightness,  clarity, optical field of view adequate for the size of the game at typical shooting distances, eye relief suitable to mounting on single shot actions, brightness. Are you hunting in the deep shade of woods or out in well-lit savannah type terrain?  Do you hunt at mid-day or are the best hunting times in the twilight of dawn or evening?

Availability:  Vintage target/varmint scopes may not be that available down there.   The MVA scopes look right, are good quality, readily available,  and might work well for genteel varmint hunting in good weather. But  I don't know how they'd hold up in the more "murphy-esque" conditions of bigger game hunting

mounts:    Most modern scopes have short tubes which don't look quite right and are designed with their eye relief to fit on bolt action rifles.  Other than the compact long-eye-relief scopes for pistols and some shotguns, and "scout rifles" most would require a cantilever rib adapter to move the scope back to a practical working distance.

Only you can determine the proper balance for your situation, but to me  It seems like that old Alaskan in a 4-6x range might be a good compromise,  I have an old 12x Weaver that would work---but would probably better in the lower power ranges for wider field of view.   Perhaps some of the more modern versions or Leopold offerings might work.  I have a couple 4 and 6x Leupolds mounted ones on Ruger #1/3 hunting rifles----great scopes but they do not have quite that "old time" look we prefer.
I'm currently working on an offhand schuetzen rifle project but it's n a caliber which--with a simple butt-stock switch-- could also be used in the field for deer hunting.  With a cantilever base adapter I think one of the old Weaver's might meet my needs. 

But then I'm here and you're "down under"

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:13am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Hombre

Reply #39 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
May fit in with the general discussion here.
Stevens Favorite, replacement Numrich barrel from long ago by previous caretaker of this nifty lil' .22 LR.  Weaver J2.5x. Notice how the rings are fitted to the flats of the barrel.  A fun shootin' lil' iron - the fun n' enjoyment is what it's all 'bout...

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Hombre wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 11:18pm:
Notice how the rings are fitted to the flats of the barrel. 

Clever idea (on a replacement brl., that is); had no idea Numrich provided them this way.  No doubt the grooved receivers on modern .22s was their inspiration, but it's actually the same basic idea conceived by Pope c.1900.

And I love those steel-tube Weavers.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #41 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Does Numrich offer their barrel with the scope cuts, or were they just added to a Numrich barrel

IP Logged

Hombre

Reply #42 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Numrich lists the following barrel:  "not currently available"
I'm sure the notches/grooves were not done by Numrich,
rather, whoever bought the barrel did it/had it done.
It does work well and is a clean install.
Always someone out there seeking a better mouse trap!

IP Logged

oldman46

Reply #43 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
I have a BSA model 13 which was originally a take down rifle. i managed to get a really nice cocking lever from a gent in England. Firing pin hit on the rimfire case is perfect. The barrel is 25" long and heavy taper. And is screwed into the receiver and the takedown pin has been cut in two so the original screw part fills that hole and the taper section that not fills the other hold. Canadian marked with the arrow within the Capital "C". Since my eyes are not great will be using a Lyman 10x all american with adjustable objective I should be good at 100 yds with this setup.
Lyman all american scopes should not be overlooked as I could spot 357 bullet holes when I had a 6x on a marlin 1894 in 357 mag. Frank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint