Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Disaster notification (Read 1700 times)
bpjack
Oldtimer

Re: Disaster notification
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:41am
Print Post  
It gets more depressing every time I go to antique stores when I realize that I am older than most of the items Smiley

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Yesterday I did nothing and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:19pm:
waterman wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:48am:
7 of us were at the range the morning after the recent Alaska quake.  Some of the guys had smart phones, I pads, etc., but we could not find out if there was any Tsunami Alert or not.

You can load a FEMA map on your phone.  It covers the states by county.  It is good when traveling in unfamiliar areas; winter storm, flood, hurricane and tornado alerts.   

Phone?  That is the black thing on the kitchen wall.  I had one of those fold-up cell phones.  It worked fine, but one day at 3 AM, I got an important call telling me "I gots to vote for Obama".  The phone went into a tidewater swamp, never to be replaced.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Maybe those flip phones are kind of smart. It was just sending out a disaster notification.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:45am
Print Post  
waterman, just look over the shoulders of all those guys with smart phones and ipads. No need to get one.  They are everywhere  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:45am:
waterman, just look over the shoulders of all those guys with smart phones and ipads. No need to get one.  They are everywhere  Roll Eyes

Of the 7 of us, 4 had smart phones of some sort, plus we were only some 3 miles from both the NOAA weather station and the local US Coast Guard station, locally the folks on the front line of the disaster business.  Both were contacted.  Nobody knew anything.  We decided to continue with the Winter Schuetzen League.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
If neither knew you must have been on safe ground  Cheesy  Seems like they put out winter storm warning everythime there will be 3" of snow  Embarrassed

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:45pm:
If neither knew you must have been on safe ground  Cheesy

Maybe, maybe not.
We have some low-lying backroads near the rivers that become impassable (except for jeeps) at various times during the "wet" season, so I keep an eye on the NOAA National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Hydrograph charts that display river height levels and flow rates at the gage recording stations.
There have been multiple times when the charts for the river gages both upstream and downstream from our closest gage have displyed "Flood Watch" warnings, while the gage station in between them didn't.
I've always wondered if the individual at that particular gage station happened to be on vaction at those times, the computer glitched, somebody hit the wrong button, or ...

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Flash floods BP, Flash floods.  They hit, dry up and hit again  Shocked

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Bob,
I don't think western WA dries out enough for flash floods... lahars maybe...     Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 3:50am
Print Post  
BP, Haven't you seen those days when it rains to beat the band, sun pops out, ranis to beat the band again?  That explains your river gauge variations.  Flash flood might not be the correct term, but a series of high waters  Wink 

Looks like we are going to freeze, back into the 20s and 30s for a few days.  This is nuts!  I just mowed my lawn for the first time ever in February  Shocked

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #25 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I still remember the nuclear bomb drills we did in grade school! So when the big earthquake, floods, or any other disaster hits, I'll simply crawl under my desk and be safe!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

2018 Hurricane season
has started

Reply #26 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Duck and Cover!
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 3:01am
Print Post  
We didn't fool around with those drills. Guess they didn't figure the boondocks would be bombed  Cheesy

I doubt if most people will stay under a table for 4 or 5 minutes anyway.  Most will probably chicken out and make a run for it  Shocked

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Tables were built out of a lot better stuff back then.
I probably wouldn't trust a particle board table to keep me safe for very long either.     Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Me either, but but I doubt if very make modernites in Western WA know the difference between particleboard and hardwood.  They put shiny tops on both  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint