Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Kent's patented barrel venting (Read 1394 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Kent's patented barrel venting
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
I thought that barrel venting pattern looked familiar...  Frankford Arsenal used it on a number of very special "venting" projects.    Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

LRF
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I have a problem with the alignments of the holes with either the grooves or lands. Review the attached pic and in particular the apparent slope of the holes seems to me that the angle is much greater then the slope angle of the rifling.  The approximate angle of the rifling of a 14" twist on a 32 caliber barrel would be aprox. 4.2 degrees, give or take. A slower twist would be less. I took the attached picture and measured the angle of the holes with reference to the bore. I did this using a CAD software program. The holes have a slope of about 10 degrees. Now these are not exact values for a number of reasons but is accurate enough to show that the holes do not follow a single groove or land.
I see many shooting issues with this method of adding the holes.

IP Logged

LRF
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
BTW the patent number for the Kent's patent is 812140. If you wish to read it you can google the number and download a PDF copy.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:41pm:
I have a problem with the alignments of the holes with either the grooves or lands.

Where else can they go?  Sawyers's book noted that Kent started out drilling holes perpendicular to the bore, later angled them toward the muzzle. Wonder what he did to remove burrs?  Seems lapping the bore would have driven up the cost beyond what most would pay.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
I have a problem with the alignments of the holes with either the grooves or lands. Review the attached pic and in particular the apparent slope of the holes seems to me that the angle is much greater then the slope angle of the rifling.  The approximate angle of the rifling of a 14" twist on a 32 caliber barrel would be aprox. 4.2 degrees, give or take. A slower twist would be less. I took the attached picture and measured the angle of the holes with reference to the bore. I did this using a CAD software program. The holes have a slope of about 10 degrees. Now these are not exact values for a number of reasons but is accurate enough to show that the holes do not follow a single groove or land.

LRF,
Sounds like you're saying that each set of 5 vent holes wouldn't all be aligned along the centerline of a respective groove? Am I reading you correctly?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I'm unsure how it might make any differences if the holes were in lands or grooves? Either way the bullet will be passing over the holes, and either place would require the hole to be clean and free of any burrs.
Since the system was likely designed for jacketed bullets, it wouldn't be a case of the holes filling with lead in lands or grooves.
But I doubt this system had much effect on a barrel chambered in .32-40 regardless.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LRF
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:19pm:

LRF,
Sounds like you're saying that each set of 5 vent holes wouldn't all be aligned along the centerline of a respective groove? Am I reading you correctly?

BP, Yes
Redsetter, I have similar concerns.
I haven't read the patent yet and will later tonight. I would think the holes would need to be drilled first and then rifled. But only guessing. Today's venting  or porting is usually done with an EDM machine which would leave no burr at all. Or at least that is what I am told.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:09pm:
I would think the holes would need to be drilled first and then rifled.

Ideally, which is how Pope did it; but he wasn't in the brl making business.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:06pm:
Since the system was likely designed for jacketed bullets, it wouldn't be a case of the holes filling with lead in lands or grooves.

No mention of bullet construction or powder in the part of the brochure that was photographed, but that isn't all of it.  Mann's testing was with lead bullets & BP, which is why he complained of the fouling.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
The venting work that Frankford Arsenal conducted using a pattern similar to Kent's method was used with 22LR barrels, and for the use of the standard lubed lead 22 LR bullets.
The arsenal was also able to keep the vent holes aligned with the centerlines of the respective barrel grooves.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Remember the High Standard Olympic with the two factory ports in their .22 barrels? The early version had two large ports in the barrel, and later they made the muzzle brake a removable version.
I always thought the ports could easily affect the lead bullets, but mine never did. The ports sure built up a ton of crud over a season of practice and matches though!

Vall

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Vall,

Brownell's still sells the High Standard muzzle brake/stabilizer cleaning tool.    Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I just pop the barrel off and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Vall

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint