Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Red deer with a Hepburn (Read 5310 times)
Spud
Senior Forum Member

Red deer with a Hepburn
Mar 28th, 2018 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Well it's deer season again here in Oz and I ventured forth last week chasing Red deer with a Hepburn in .40/70 SS. This rifle is a really nice example fitted with a Lyman No.15 tang sight. Bullet was a Lyman 406150 with a modified base band opened out to .410" and a hollow point (330 gr cast 20:1). A mild smokeless load gave a muzzle velocity of approx 1,340 fps. It will put three bullets into 2" at 100 yds with this load.

I stalked three Red stags over a four day period trying to get one within my 150 yd self imposed limit for a shot when using iron sights. The boys were roaring and gathering up hinds which makes sneaking up on them a bit easier but they are still very wary and stick to the open country. On day four luck was with me and I found a good stag roaring close to the edge of the scrub with 6 hinds, the wind was in my favor, so I moved in on him.

We've had drought conditions this summer so the bush was very dry which called for a slow approach or as we say here..."like walking on Corn flakes"! The last 20 m to the edge of the scrub was a belly crawl holding the rifle up, eyes on the Red.....but what I didn't see was the Fallow deer sound asleep behind a bush directly ahead.  I don't know who got the biggest shock but a very startled deer exploded from his bed when I was about 3 feet away.....luckily he didn't scent me so didn't give a warning bark as he bounded off. I thought the stalk was over at at point and I froze with 7 Reds staring in my direction. Then amazingly they all went back to feeding......the Gods of Hunting had smiled on me.....

When my heart rate had returned to normal I pushed to the edge of the bush and there he was at about 125 yds, broadside.... Perfect!
Sighting on the shoulder I hit him hard with the first shot & followed with another. Both were solid hits. Despite 2 lung shots he turned and walked slowly away. I hit him again at about 150/170 yds with a rear end shot that broke the hip & down he went. None of the bullets exited.

A great old 14 pt Red with a classic single shot. Hunts don't get much better than that and I'll never forget this one.
Pete

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Re: Red deer with a Hepburn
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Here are the recovered projectiles. The soft allow worked well. The fragment came from the hip bone.

IP Logged

oughtsix
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Wow!  Nice animal.  I want to hunt one of those. I'll bring a my Hepburn.

ASSRA  & OGCA Life member, TSGC, NRA
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Nice work Spud,just the way it ought to be done.

IP Logged

Del J
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Great story. Thanks for posting.
                   Del J

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Boy oh Boy oh Boy. You have got to be proud of that trophy. Great story. Thanks for posting. Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Great job, and nice rifle ya got there, too. This deserves an automatic attaboy. Smiley

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

Fritz
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Spud,Congratulations on your stag,and as Ole-Win stated:'done the right way" and with a great rifle.

YIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Great story! Thanks for sharing it!
That's a great looking Red Deer, and Hepburn! Don't ever see the #15 rear sight anymore!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Yes the Lyman #15 is a strange sight and I can see why it wasn't popular. Not having the fold down feature makes cleaning from the breech with a rod impossible. I use a .410 bore snake for quick cleans in the field and a bore guide with a rod when I get back home. Still it is a good hunting sight and is built like a battleship and the elevation has a detent that locks it in firmly in place. The windage also locks up when the winding tab is folded flat. Not quite as elegant as a 103 but it works for me.

Thanks for the comments guys. Taking this old boy with this rifle really meant a lot to me. A real challenge. We are roasting the rump for Easter! I'm heading out again next week chasing another species. Will keep you posted.......
Pete

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Great story amd nice deer.  The fallow deer explosion reminds me of phesant hunting.  My brother and I were standing in the middle of a plowed field wonderng where all the pheasants went when one exploded right between my legs  Shocked.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bruce moulds
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 3:39am
Print Post  
spud,
what do i like about your story.
it is not the single shot necessarily.
it is the stalking ethic.
in this day and age, the trend is to go for long range sniper rifles, in the belief that they will eliminate the necessity for stalking.
guys put big scopes on them and they are useless for 90% of shots that arise.
the guns don't point for offhand and running shots.
but they call themselves hunters, while doing that, and taking unethical long shots where they cannot guarantee good hits, and their bullets have neither the energy or the terminal performance required.
how refreshig to read a story where the guy understood his prey, could obviously stalk, and has ethics.
while that is an excellent red, a lesser one hunted well also has meaning.
thank you from a fellow aussie.
keep safe,
bruce.

ventum est amicus meus

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Bruce's comments in above post reminded me strongly of a friend's special permit hunt some years ago. Thanks to luck on permit draw, he had permit to hunt a large area with many really impressive deer. His hunt would last one week. His rifle was an original condition Savage 99 in 303 Savage, open sights.

He spent week stalking impressive buck after impressive buck, getting close to his self-imposed 100M distance goal for a clean shot. He never loaded his rifle, neither magazine or chamber. His happy result was 2 or more memorable stalks each day. He still has a big smile when he talks about that week's hunt.

IP Logged

flint45
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
A nice red deer and a great story all with a classic old rifle.Good hunt.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on a very successful hunt! It also makes one wonder how our earlier generations of family members kept from starving to death by not hunting with a 300H&H Mag.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint