Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Offset Threads (Read 5641 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Offset Threads
Reply #60 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
John,
Something to mull over...
As calledflyer alluded to, Pope's eccentric lever pin does some interesting things to an action's "geometry".
If you insert Pope's pin, without changing anything else, then rotate the eccentric pin back and forth 180 degrees, it looks like a new lever pivot point is created to the rear of the trigger, where the lever bow contacts the lower tang.
With all the swapping of lower tangs to use the different trigger systems, and the bending of straight tangs to various pistol grip arcs, and the swapping of the various lever styles, how consistent will the vertical location of firing pin strike on a primer or on a RF rim be?
Also, it looks like the picture shows Pope's pin used with the coilspring action. If you were to install Pope's pin in a leafspring action, and again rotate eccentric pin back and forth 180 degrees, how does that affect the applied force of the leaf mainspring to the hammer, and what would the subsequent effects of that variable be? I'm recalling earlier posted problems where shimming of the leaf mainspring to the barrel tenon has been advised to cure issues.
There's quite a few things to consider regarding the use of Pope's eccentric lever pin.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:10pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks CF I was lost there for a bit and I am with you on having to change extractors from one to the other. I would just as soon pickup another rifle to fit what ever the other need maybe and just learn to shoot them both. But I also understand the value of being able to change barrels and being able to shoot the one you are already familiar with.

JLouis

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #62 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Most of the smiths modifying Ruger no1ís to 22 RF just shortened the link.  Would t that work in a HiWall too?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Sakoman, the biggest fly in the ointment here is already geometry, and changing the length of the link would still leave a "variance" in that geometry when going from one to the other. On the Ruger, I assume you are saying a one-time conversion, not a switch back and forth sort of deal like the eccentric hinge pin?
Still, it's a clever idea, and may be worth fartin' around with for somebody that has time and woudn't mind if the whole shebang failed to get worked out.
Like John said- two rifles is a lot simpler. Unless you have a truck load of Ballards like somebody we all know! Roll Eyes

Maybe Pope should have invented an adjustable extractor (rubber?) at the same time?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
When Winchester got around to offering take down rifles, with extra barrels they sold them with the chamberings in groups that were, not surprisingly, the same size cartridge head.
This all makes the changeable barrels that Pope did on the rifle Vall owns more interesting.
Anybody here own a switch-barrel Winchester in different case sizes? Not sure that I've ever seen one.
Now, back to offset threads, which I'd rather have than some things. Wink

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Pretty much boils down to what one wants in life or would like to try and accomplish on his own before life passes him on by. Also nice to have something different than what one typically sees every day and a bit unique to show and talk about and then be able to pass it onto others.

JLouis

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #66 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Steve Durren has a take-down high wall that he built with a 45/70 barrel and a .22 Long Rifle barrel. I think that he made a special type extractor set-up where he doesn't have to change out the extractor. That's hard to imagine but I think I'm right on this. I've seen the rifle. He shoots it in MI BPCR silhouette matches.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Thanks for the information and it would be interesting to know what system he used. If anyone could come up with a universal extractor it would be Steve his talents have no limits and his work the very best. Hopefully he will chime into the conversation and share it.

JLouis

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
The extractor would be interesting to see- however he has done it, if it's quickly done.
And, what way does he deal with the firing pin differences. Offset chamber, or different block, orrrrr...... moveable pin location.
Mr. Durren has a reputation for inovative work, and this is one I bet a lot of us would get a kick out of viewing. And, hearing an explanation of. Please, pretty please Kiss

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
I was wondering if one could use their regular extractor and an off center chamber by doing some tricky machine cuts.  Sounds like it has been done  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
The extractor will need to be lined up with the chamber.If the chamber is moved up or down with the offset threads the extractor will need to be changed or altered to match.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #71 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
If I recall correctly each barrel had its' own extractor activated by a simple lever similar to the Ballard 22 extractor. I'm sure the 22 barrel was an offset bore to use the same firing pin as the 45/70 barrel. I'm going on memory here and I'm on the back side of 70 so take it for what it's worth.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Reply #72 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 4:52pm:
If I recall correctly each barrel had its' own extractor activated by a simple lever similar to the Ballard 22 extractor. I'm sure the 22 barrel was an offset bore to use the same firing pin as the 45/70 barrel. I'm going on memory here and I'm on the back side of 70 so take it for what it's worth.

JOHN:
    That would certainly be the logical way to do it.   Kind of like the Hubalek extractors in the Ballards.   I am amazed that so many people took hold of this thread and beat it to death -- aren't you?
    Probably see you next week at SF&G BPCS.   Lots of lies to tell.  I am trying to get a German KESSLER to work for the schuetzen match week after.   Come and play with us!!  I'll try to remember to bring some flyers.  & the 25RF Stevens is shooting clover-leafs at 50 yd.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Chris not familiar with the Hubalek extractor set up do you happen to have a picture and a discreption or where it can found I would love to see and read about it.

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint