Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Alliant 300-MP Grain Mesh Sizes (Read 371 times)
John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2019 - 2 Yrs)

Alliant 300-MP Grain Mesh Sizes
Apr 13th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Alliant 300-MP
Lot - CE0515

35 mesh - 15.8oz Hold
40 mesh - Trace
60 mesh - 0.2oz Hold
80 mesh - Trace
Total ..... 16oz

Regards
John
IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Alliant 300-MP Grain Mesh Sizes
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
John doesn't appear any separation was taking place and not at all typical of the 300MP based on my own experience. I ended up with close to 50-50 on the 45 and 50 screens out of 32lbs.sifted with trace amounts on the 40 and dust in the pan. Almost appears as if you were over loading the top screen and the spheres were riding on top of each other and not all being allowed to get down to the screen. If you did not completely cover the top screen but left quite a bit of room for more then you were OK. That also holds true if you were keeping screen comptley void of any being stuck in the screen after each shacking and you also have to shake the stack allot and not just a little bit. Not saying you did it wrong but also not at all typical of my own results so I just wanted to point out the above and per-say my method.

JLouis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Individual technique can produce different gradation results when screening by hand.
Standardized gradation testing using the mechanical shakers that the screen stacks are placed into and run for a specified time period, help eliminate variables that hand-screening can produce.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Some I know would sit the stack on a vibratrory case cleaner but also not the same but better than hand shacking and by far allot easier. I don't own one but at the time I surely wished I did all that hand shaking got old real quick and in no way could my remain consistent so I just over did it all to insure I was doing it as close as was possible for me.

JLouis

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
    A good screen shaker is to sit the stack of screens on top of a loud-speaker and connect it to a low-frequency input.   The bass sound-waves going thru keep the powder grains bouncing around.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Premod70
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 8:18pm:
    A good screen shaker is to sit the stack of screens on top of a loud-speaker and connect it to a low-frequency input.   The bass sound-waves going thru keep the powder grains bouncing around.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

Or get the local wanna-be street thug to loan you his boom box😎.

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2019 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Almost appears as if you were over loading the top screen and the spheres were riding on top of each other and not all being allowed to get down to the screen.

John, when I came to the 35 screen - it was rotated and shook and juggled with the 40 screen beneath. I'm certain that it was screened well and this is not my first experience sieving

Regards
John
IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2019 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
J Lewis ... I re-sieved the pound of 300-MP and you were right.  Too much powder on the 35 mesh screen. So I poured it on the screen slowly then 'rocked and rolled' with this result:
35 mesh - 13.6 oz Hold
40 mesh - Trace
48 mesh - 2.4 oz Hold
50 mesh - Trace

Regards
John
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint