Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Swiss Martini (Read 2042 times)
Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Swiss Martini
May 11th, 2018 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Hi I am new to the forum I have several single shot rifles. My latest find is a Swiss Martini in 6.5x55mm rimless This is a basket case most of the parts are there except for the wood and a few screws I would like to find somebody that has one.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Senior Forum Member

Re: Swiss Martini
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
CAP'N:
     Strange caliber for a Swiss rifle.  Sure it's not 7.5x55, or 7.5x53.5?
I got one recently, just to see how the extractor worked for a rimless ctg in a Martini action.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Chri6,This is what the previous owner sent me. "It has a 35mm land diameter, 6.50mm groove diameter and the Norwegian/Swedish 6.5x55mm cases are a perfect fit in the chamber which has an extractor for rimless rounds.
I know very little about the Swiss Martini. I actually got it for the action but I may keep it the way it is. There is more pitting on the action than I thought but the barrel is great. The tumbler is broke and I need a picture of one to make a replacement. If you could help I would appreciate it.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2018 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Captjack wrote on May 11th, 2018 at 7:49pm:
Chri6,This is what the previous owner sent me. "It has a 35mm land diameter, 6.50mm groove diameter and the Norwegian/Swedish 6.5x55mm cases are a perfect fit in the chamber which has an extractor for rimless rounds.
I know very little about the Swiss Martini. I actually got it for the action but I may keep it the way it is. There is more pitting on the action than I thought but the barrel is great. The tumbler is broke and I need a picture of one to make a replacement. If you could help I would appreciate it.

JACK:
    The Swiss Martinis seem to be more alike, and not each different from the next, like the German ones are.  No guarantee that the part that you want to reproduce will be EXACTLY  like mine, but in a few days, I will send you an image of it, to look at.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2018 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Hammerli made big Martini free rifles in 6.5x55 back in the 1960s.  Maybe it is one of those.

IP Logged

oldman46
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2018 at 12:20am
Print Post  
I,ve seen the big hammerli martinis in 6.5x55 Swedish, 7.5x55 Swiss and one lone one in 30-06 Back in the 1920's Hammerli made up a bunch for the U.S. in 30-06 for either 300 meter shooting or long range matches. Frank

IP Logged

oldman46
Junior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2018 at 12:20am
Print Post  
I,ve seen the big hammerli martinis in 6.5x55 Swedish, 7.5x55 Swiss and one lone one in 30-06 Back in the 1920's Hammerli made up a bunch for the U.S. in 30-06 for either 300 meter shooting or long range matches. Frank

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks I will see if I can find a website for them.

IP Logged

chipmaker

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Captjack,
As CHRIS said, the Swiss Martini's tend to have very similar internals. They frequently have DST, so the sear is separate from the trigger,unlike the British Martini's. They also tend to use a barrel dovetail for a sliding rear sight as opposed to the German Martini that uses the tang diopter sights.
I acquired a Swiss Martini that had the wood and breech block but was missing the internal parts. Below is a photo of the missing parts, that were made by studying an intact Swiss Martini and then trial and error. As also stated above, the parts require individual fitting and the precision required in fitting will give you a new appreciation for the skill of the old time gunsmiths.
A picture of your action and the parts that came with the rifle will give us an idea of what parts you need. Then photos or drawings of the missing parts should get you started.
Otto

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2018 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Here is a picture of the pieces that I got.

IP Logged

chipmaker

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Captjack,
It appears that you have most of the parts and are only missing the sear. There a variety of ways to make this part, depending on what you have available.
Below is a photo of the sear from a complete Swiss Martini, that I used to get a general idea of the shape.
You can determine the position of the parts using the holes in your frame to make a test plate.
Photo #2 shows the original parts in proper position and photo #3 shows one of many test sears that I made.
If I had to do it again, I'd make the test sears out of wood, until I had the proper geometry.
An easier approach if you have access to a Soldworks design program, is to model the parts that you have and insert the missing part into the model. You can then test function to be sure that there is no interference.
On the complete Martini, they used a leaf spring but on the incomplete Martini the leaf spring caught on the through bolt and a coil spring worked better.
It can be a little frustrating making the sear, so if you have additional questions, you can ask them here or email me.
Otto

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2018 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Otto
Thanks for the pictures it will help I don't have that program available yes it would make it easer but I will have to do it the hard way. I will try to make them out of wood. I am better with wood than I am with metal.

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2018 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Captjack wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 10:15pm:
Otto
Thanks for the pictures it will help I don't have that program available yes it would make it easer but I will have to do it the hard way. I will try to make them out of wood. I am better with wood than I am with metal.

On second thought alumium not wood will be better

IP Logged

Old_No7
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2018 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Chipmaker's picture of Martini parts above is what really helped me make a new toggle for a German Schuetzen Martini that had an incorrect aluminum part in it when I first bought it.

Check my recent posts on that one, as I show how I used hard plastic (1/4" sheet material sold at boating supply stores) to make several iterations of parts -- quickly and easily -- before I found the dimensions I needed on 3 critical points.  The plastic cuts and trims very easily; then you can make an aluminum proof part to confirm dimensions before making a final part from steel.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #14 - May 21st, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the tip. I will try to find your posts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint