Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need a buttstock comb removed (Read 2482 times)
Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Need a buttstock comb removed
May 14th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
My Stevens 044 1/2 in 218 Bee is shooting lights out but I can barely see through the scope as the comb is at least an inch too high.  I also have to clean from the muzzle as the ramrod can't line up with the bore from the rear.  I have a hatchet and my horse shoeing rasp so I think it prudent that I ship the wood off to somebody who can lower the comb and have the finished product look as good as it does now.  Any suggestions on who to contact?  Thanks. Tom
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2018 at 4:24pm by Bulseyetom »  
Twitter  
IP Logged

CW

Re: Need a buttock comb removed
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Boy! That title got my attention!  Needing to have a comb removed from a Buttock!  I couldn't wait to get this open. Roll Eyes Cool

IP Logged

CW

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2018 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Likely an aftermarket stock?  - Got pictures?

Your in California, a lot of people to do this work unless the wood and finish are something that takes an extra special talent. If you can come up with a good stockmaker close you can avoid mailing it.
I know good people but not any close to you. Someone will.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
The stock is aftermarket.  It is just too high to get my eye lined up with the scope especially with earmuffs.  I don't have a problem mailing my stock.  The attached group shows how this baby shoots at 100 yards!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

HighWall
Junior Forum Member

Re: Need a buttstock comb removed
Reply #4 - May 14th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle.  Golden age varminter, looks like.  If it was mine, I'd do the work myself.  It isn't that hard.  That way you get it to where it fits your hold and preferences.  Even if you can't get the finish right, you can always send it out once you get the basic height correct.  Then there's no guessing on the part of the stockmaker.

IP Logged

Elalto
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2018 at 2:37pm
Print Post  

I think Joe is on the right track, "high" scope rings should take care of seeing through the scope and a muzzle guard or false muzzle should protect the crown (for cleaning) without damage to the butt-stock.

IP Logged

Sonny
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
If the risers work a Delrin Cleaning Rod should take care of the other issue. I had a set of those same type of risers here somewhere? but can't seem to find them right now and would gladly send them to Tom to try. I believe I might have left them on my grand daughters Feinwerkbau 2700L smallbore rifle but still looking and as Joe said they should work very nicely. I also had a set of of risers that should fit the scope rings shown I am also trying to find.

JLouis
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2018 at 5:48pm by Sonny »  

IP Logged

ww
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2018 at 7:53am
Print Post  
I have a Ballard Union Hill in 38-55 that was wiped for to long without dropping the tang sight. It has a gruve warn in the chamber  very  deep at the rim, it does make case indexing fairly easy.   
That said,  I would use a block or jack plane to remove the bulk of the material until comfortable with the hight. Then rasp and sand paper for finishing.  It would make a good rainy day project.
WW

IP Logged

sportslube
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Order a stock from cpa,  check out the web sight you might find one you like.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I think I might give it a try.  All I can do is ruin the stock!  The tang has been bent so a stock from CPA is not in the cards.  I had to go with Burris rings with the inserts to get the scope lined up both horizontally and vertically.  I finally gave up shooting at 25 yards and took the buttstock off to foresight.  The rifle has lots of issues but shooting straight is not one of them!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

craigster
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2018 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
go slow, take your time. it ain't rocket surgery.

IP Logged

HighWall
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
There are some really good books out there on the subject.  I like Professional Stockmaking by David Wesbrook.  I'll admit my copy has a bit of inletting black on some of the pages...

IP Logged

idjeffp
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I'd put my Nicholson No 49 & 50 Patternmaker's Cabinet Rasps to work here to rough it in... better if you do it as you can get the fit just right for you... then smooth up and refinish. Midwayusa.com and most of the woodworking stores have these FS if needed.

JP

IP Logged

oldman46

Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2018 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Just a suggestion. Look at a Stanley block plane. much shorter then regular planes and the blade can be sharpened to a very fine edge. You should be able to take small passes and in a series of flats each few passes and try as you go. I've used mine suitably sharpened to make filler pieces (so called Dutchmen) to fill in the hand stop plate that were on the old Rem 40x series of rifles. I had bought some military surplus single shot stocks and literally spent hours with sharp knives and scrapers. First to get all the old wood stained wood and nicks and dents. Since the walnut they used for those old stocks is different and my walnut is different my newer 40x stainless thumbhole stock isn't going to notice the difference. The laminate newer thumb hole stock on the 40x has a high comb not as severe as mine though. Much cheaper since I had 3 or 4 of those mil surp stocks. Picked the one with the least amount of nicks and dents and stainless action and barrel now suitably glass bedded shoots great as long as my eyes cooperate. And get something to cover the wrist tp protect the wood. Frank

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 24th, 2018 at 6:10am
Print Post  
I would use my band saw or table saw depending on the cut required.  Long cut table short band, either one  Sliding table jig with the stock well clamped down. Stock is not going to lay flat on the saw table, freehand no jig high risk of a catch and if so a ruined stock

To re shape the comb, saw to 1/2 inch of the line, then very close with a long bed hand plane. Long is your friend when you want straight.

Do as much of the comb top rounding as possible with the plane cutting flats then the corners off the flats progressively smaller.  More you can stay with long tools more true your straight top comb will be. 

Down to the last little bit round and smooth with sandpaper well set in a sanding block.

Boats

If you are not sure what comb heigh to finish stop after the plane has cut to a reasonably shaped top then shoot the rifle before final shape.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint