Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Getting ready for antelope this fall (Read 351 times)
Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Getting ready for antelope this fall
May 14th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Hopefully I can draw antelope tags this fall and if so I want to use my new to me Rolling Block in 6mm-30/30 Imp.  It shoots patterns with anything I have tried with 85 grain bullets but shoots pretty good with 105 grain Speer.  My forearm is so slim it did not fit the front bag too good but I was real happy with this combination at 100 yards this morning.  It has a 24" octagon barrel 1/10 twist and about a four pound trigger.  I also shot my 25/35 Stevens and as always it was around 1 moa at 100 yards with a 9x setting on my scope.  Next time out I will adjust my load up 0.2 grains and down the same to see how the three loads compare.  I also need to put a different front bag on my rest but was too lazy to change this morning as the bag fit the other two rifles good. Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Getting ready for antelope this fall
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Nice bag if the barrel channel is not to big for that barrel I would highly encourage you in trying to rest it off the barrel and not the forearm.

JLouis

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
John, how much difference in point of impact is there from the offhand position and resting on the barrel near the muzzle?  Several of my hunting rifles have thin forearms and I have not found a really good bag that fits my rest and the forearm.  I have one more to try if I can figure out how to anchor it to the rest.  This bag was actually made to fit on my backpack and I have used it several times hunting.  My fear is that if I use a barrel rest it might move the point of impact significantly if I have to shoot sitting or using my hand up against a tree offhand.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Tom when out at the range and after shooting of the barrel. Sit down. Lay down and Stand up and rest it against something. Myself I have found very little differance but all Rilfes are a bit different so it's just best that you give it a try. Below is the custom bag Protektor USA made for me it fits all three of my barrels and where I rest each barrel for my competition purposes. That's why yours really caught my eye and none of my rifles like being shot off the forend and why I recommended you trying to do so.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

IP Logged

rhbrink

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Is there a product number for that bag? Looks like a good idea to me!

RB

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
I had David at Protektor USA custom make the bag for me to very specific demensions to fit my rifle. Cost was about the same price as an off the shelf bag and at the time 39 dollars and change and came filled with sand. I just talked him through it all on the phone and I did not have to send him a drawing. Most are not aware of them providing that service and I had it in hand in seven days.

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint