Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is this a Rolling Block Pistol (?) (Read 6159 times)
Joe Do...
Senior Forum Member

Is this a Rolling Block Pistol (?)
May 28th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Hello All !

I couldn't help myself and picked up a barreled action that should clean up relatively easily.  It looks like it is centerfire and the bore of this unknown caliber barrel is mint.

Is this a Remington Rolling Block pistol or a No.7 pistol / rifle ?

All opinions are appreciated ... thank you ...

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Is this a Rolling Block Pistol (?)
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I've never seen a No. 7 pistol-rifle without the special tang sight which is partially inlet into the backstrap.  Also, your action appears to have a rudimentary rear sight, a notch cut into the top of the block; if so, it's not the target version of the pistol.  So even without knowing the length and rough size of the bore, I'm agreeing with Schuetzendave.

Now, seeing as how so many fellas here love to tinker and remodel, here's the burning question:  Do you want to make a reproduction No. 7 out of it?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Definitely a Rolling Block pistol, and not a #7 rifle. The top tang needs to be bent out flatter and a different mainspring on it to be shaped like a #7. Plus the cut for the sight previously mentioned.
Not sure it can legally be used to make a rifle even being antique? I've seen them made from pistols, and a couple were extremely good replicas. Just never knew if it was legal or not?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
The legality of such a reproduction is a very good question.

That the No. 7's were themselves made from left over pistol actions is probably a moot point.

However, if I remember rightly, the .44 Russian was the largest caliber the post-antique target versions were chambered for.  So, if the poster's barrel's bore is larger than a .44, I think it's safe to say that the poster's action is an antique.  And it's the action that counts, right?

In short, since as Marlinguy notes, reproductions have already been made commercially at least once, if a No. 7 look-alike is made from that action in a chambering that's no longer commercially available with a long-enough barrel, what exactly would the BATF have to complain about?

Note: I'm playing devil's advocate here just because it's such a neat potential project.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

kensmachine
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
you can make  a rifle out  a pistol them yu cant turn it back in to a pistol . you cant make pistol out of a rifle. I looked into this at one time when someone tried sell me a #4 remington made in to a pistol ken

IP Logged

vagrant_viking

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 28th, 2018 at 7:40pm:
Definitely a Rolling Block pistol, and not a #7 rifle. The top tang needs to be bent out flatter and a different mainspring on it to be shaped like a #7. Plus the cut for the sight previously mentioned.
Not sure it can legally be used to make a rifle even being antique? I've seen them made from pistols, and a couple were extremely good replicas. Just never knew if it was legal or not?

Definitely the 1871 Army originally in 50 cal. Cases are the same as 50-70 but around 0.93" long. Starline 56-50 cases need to be trimmed a bit or Magtech 32ga shells need to be trimmed a lot.

If I were as fortunate as you to find that I would shoot it as is of the bore has a any potential otherwise I would line it to something a little more common. It would be a real shame to bend and it up or convert to a rifle.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 29th, 2018 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
By the way, there's something about the look of the metal that's been bothering me.  Was it in a fire?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I've owned a few fire guns, and still have a couple hanging on the wall of my gun room. Doesn't have that dark gray look that the fire guns I've owned have. Just looks like neglect or maybe sitting in a shed or barn?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2018 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Yep, mainspring shape and attachment point is different than my #7 rifle.
One other thing many miss is that on all the original #7's that I've ever encountered, the front surface of the trigger is checkered, instead of being plain smooth like on the pistols and #2's.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I've owned a few fire guns, and still have a couple hanging on the wall of my gun room. Doesn't have that dark gray look that the fire guns I've owned have.

Actually it was the uniform dark gray of the trigger, mainspring and what I can see of the internals that bothered me, plus what for me is an odd but again uniform patina on the hammer and block.  But it was decades ago that I saw my only fire gun, so I'll yield to Marlinguy on this (and gladly).

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
OP said the bore was mint.  If it were mine, I would clean up the rust spots, make some grips and shoot what must be one of the last 1871 .50 cal pistols around.  Looks to be a hoot to shoot.  A .50 cal mould that casts a 300 grain bullet ought to be easy to find.

Remember the Remington XP-100, circa 1962?  Remington had to market the pistol before they could market the Model 600 (or whatever it was) rifle because of the BATF regs.  Otherwise they would have been making rifles into pistols.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
I'm with Waterman, put some grips on that sucker and shoot it!

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 29th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone.  I don't think its a fire pistol ... it was stuffed in a gunmakers shop in the very hot and humid south.  I think it should clean up easily.

As for what to do with it?  That's a good question ...

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 29th, 2018 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I've seen some unfinished frames that were simply left "in-the-white" take on that appearance over time.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2018 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Joe,
I know your dilemma, I bought one of these a while back that's in a 32 cal something, nowhere as nice as yours, in fact has surface patina and a bore that makes one think it was an anchor at one time.  : Sad  I'd like a 22rf in one of these so it may get a liner and become an item I can shoot once in a while.
I'd like to know what you decide to do with yours.
Regards,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint