Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Opinions on DZ Arms vs C Sharps Hepburn rifles (Read 1673 times)
Uechi

Opinions on DZ Arms vs C Sharps Hepburn rifles
Jun 6th, 2018 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Looking for opinions on the subject manufacturers of Hepburn Rifles. Basically accuracy and most importantly quality of product.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Opinions on DZ Arms vs C Sharps Hepburn rifles
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Not sure C Sharps has sold enough yet for anyone to compare it to DZ's history of making really great guns. I know C Sharps has a great reputation, and expect their guns are great quality. But I think they need more history building repro Hepburns before a proper comparison can be made.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Statesrights
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Danís work is fine!  Wood to metal is beautiful. Iíve not yet seen a C. Sharps, so cannot offer a comparison.

IP Logged

4570mike
Junior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I had Dan build me a Hepburn a couple years ago. I looked at C Sharps and the price seemed almost the same.  Not that this matters much, I did like the fact DZ Arms uses a billet for the receiver vs a casting.  The rifle Dan built for me would be difficult to improve upon.  Plus it shoots great.  Unless you can identify a reason not to, I would go the DZ Arms route.  If I needed another rifle (Iím sure I do!) I would order one from Dan without hesitation.
For comparison, I have a CPA rifle built to order that is fantastic; the build quality of the DZ Arms Hepburn is better.
Mike.

IP Logged

Dales

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
I have a C Sharps Hepburn in 38-55 (bought used) I am very happy with the rifle fit and finish is great and function is great.
Dales

IP Logged

JWL
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
No experience with C Sharps, but I acquired a DZArms Hepburn last winter and have been shooting it since March. Fit and finish is excellent and the rifle was a shooter right from the start.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:42am:
Not sure C Sharps has sold enough yet for anyone to compare it to DZ's history of making really great guns. I know C Sharps has a great reputation, and expect their guns are great quality. But I think they need more history building repro Hepburns before a proper comparison can be made.

Believe that C. Sharps has been making Hepburns considerably longer than DZ. The person who introduced me to single-shot rifles ~20yr ago was shooting a C. Sharps Hepburn (it is the one that Dales now owns) at the time. That said, would be difficult for me to say that one is better than the other. Both are faithful reproductions made with modern steels to modern standards. Both only offer their Hepbrn as a "custom" rifle and the prices are comparable. I own a DZ Arms Hepburn in .22LR as I know DanZ, and it is all I could ask for. However, I would not hesitate to own a C. Sharps Hepburn and feel the quality is the same.

Glenn

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 2:34pm:
Believe that C. Sharps has been making Hepburns considerably longer than DZ. The person who introduced me to single-shot rifles ~20yr ago was shooting a C. Sharps Hepburn (it is the one that Dales now owns) at the time. That said, would be difficult for me to say that one is better than the other. Both are faithful reproductions made with modern steels to modern standards. Both only offer their Hepbrn as a "custom" rifle and the prices are comparable. I own a DZ Arms Hepburn in .22LR as I know DanZ, and it is all I could ask for. However, I would not hesitate to own a C. Sharps Hepburn and feel the quality is the same.

Very surprising since they didn't show them on their site until just a few years ago?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Believe that C. Sharps has been making Hepburns considerably longer than DZ. The person who introduced me to single-shot rifles ~20yr ago was shooting a C. Sharps Hepburn (it is the one that Dales now owns) at the time.†

Not sure what your friend was shooting, but it wasn't a C Sharps Hepburn 20 yrs. ago. I finally got a return email from C Sharps, and my question of when they began making Hepburn rifles.
"About 8 years ago."

IP Logged

emmett22405

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Fit and finish of my C Sharps arms 40-60 Maynard  is excellent and accuracy is moa smokeless or bp  about 4-5 years old now - DST is perfect and much  better than my original hepburn's DST   ni issues at all and am very pleased  other have commented on how good it looks but in fairness DZ's as shown on the web site are visually works of art

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 5:53am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:00pm:

Very surprising since they didn't show them on their site until just a few years ago?

Well, doh!! Seems like I've been shooting single-shot rifles much longer than 8 years. Time flies when you're having fun, I guess.

As a further comment on the C. Sharps & DZ Hepburns, both suppliers tend toward slower twist barrels unless something faster is specified. Both will put on a GrnMtn barrel as 'standard' (unless that's changed over the past year or so). That last one I know of from C. Sharps was a GrnMtn 'X' (lapped) barrel at the purchaser's request. And DZ will put on about any barrel you request at whatever the added cost & time is needed. Both offer about any configuration you want on the barrel (half-round, etc.), engraving, fancy wood and checkering (see their web pictures). Very much anything you are willing to pay & wait for.

As far as accuracy, that is likely to be more the shooter and the loads developed than it is to be the rifle from either supplier.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2018 at 6:07am by SSShooter »  

Glenn

IP Logged

Ranch13

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I have a C Sharps Hepburn in 40-70, it shoots great when the triggers work. It's a pretty early model and they had some problems with spring hardening, and didn't quite get the polish on the rest of the internals up to snuff, but they have been very good about working on it to fix the problems.
They have dropped the basic price on their Hepburns considerably, and with Pat running the production in the shop now, I have no doubt that quality has zoomed upwards a great deal.

IP Logged

sharps74
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Hi all, I have no experience with CSharps Hepburn rifles but I have three DZ Arms Hepburnís. They are all fine rifles, two in 22lr and one in 40/65 and they all shoot very well. Dan builds a beautiful high quality rifle, and will take care of you after the sale.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint