Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) picked up a new (to me) Rem RB by CC Johnson (Read 6539 times)
brian1
Junior Forum Member

picked up a new (to me) Rem RB by CC Johnson
Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I picked up a nice Remington No. 1 Rolling Block in 22 R2 Lovell, made by Mr. Johnson.  Made in 1939, I believe.   I'm curious what the other numbers under the forearm mean; the 224 and the 16

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: picked up a new (to me) Rem RB by CC Johnson
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Neat rifle. As for the barrel markings, let me guess. The 16 is probably the twist per foot of the rifling, that is in the size for .224 bullets. At that time some of the hot rod .22s used the .228 bullet, and this differentiates this bore.  Like I said, just a guess, and if somebody comes along with a correction I'd probably go with him. But, I like the gun, and thank you for showing it here.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

brian1
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Your explanations make perfect sense.  Thanks!

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:24am
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:20am:
Neat rifle. As for the barrel markings, let me guess. The 16 is probably the twist per foot of the rifling, that is in the size for .224 bullets. At that time some of the hot rod .22s used the .228 bullet, and this differentiates this bore.  Like I said, just a guess, and if somebody comes along with a correction I'd probably go with him. But, I like the gun, and thank you for showing it here.

Certainly 16 is the twist, and .224 is the groove diameter.  While some period centerfires did use .228 bullets, the .22-3000 Lovell was not one of them.  But many were built using rimfire blanks which were .223, as were the early Hornets.  A popular source of Hornet and Lovell barrels was surplus armory .22 rimfire barrels, for example.  They were a obvious choice for Krags and 1903 Springfields, being already threaded for those actions. 

Hence the marking of this barrel, to tell the owner to use .224 bullets.

There was once a .228 "Hornet", the 1894  "Harwood Hornet", a blackpowder era wildcat, for which Stevens chambered a few rifles.  Its' case was based on the .25-20, just as the Lovell was, and strangely it looked just like an R2 Lovell, but with a very long neck!  Harwood's bullet diameter was probably to take advantage of the availability of .228 barrels made for the .22-15-60 and the .22 WCF.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 8:26am
Print Post  
This is probably nit-picking, but one stamp says .22-3000 R2 while the other says .22-3000.  Since they are not quite the same cartridge, the former being derived from the latter, even if Johnson simply didn't have room for the "R2" on the second stamp, it might be a good idea to do a chamber cast.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Most surprising to me are the things Johnson didn't do--like throw that beautiful steel-tipped forearm in the kindling bucket; to most of those sporterizing old SSs in the '30s, such original fittings were nothing but old-fashioned junk.  Evidently, retaining the original forearm was why he machined the octagon section of the brl.--HIGHLY unusual on any converted SS! And bizarre as the added cheekpiece looks, using it permitted retention of the original buttstock with its gracefully shaped pistol-grip.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
CC Johnson was well known for his barrel work, but not his stock work. So no surprise (if he did the stock work) that he tried to reuse the existing forearm and modify the buttstock, rather than build new.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
True, retention of the original stocks was probably done for reasons of economy, not appreciation of classic SS esthetics.  Nevertheless, it's unusual that a customer wanting such a jazzy new hot-shot cartridge as the 2R would not also have insisted upon equally modern stocks, even at higher cost.  Whatever the reasoning was, I think it's good that the alterations were kept to a minimum.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Personally, I'd round off the tip of that stock. That's make it easier to get in and load, plus look better. Then off to the races. Nice rig.

IP Logged

brian1
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
I wonder if perhaps he originally made it as a .22-3000, then later changed it to R2.   The R2 on the barrel certainly looks added on.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I agree with Brian, the R2 is a different font size stamp. Also as to the original fore end that leads to the question. Is it a fresh barrel or a relined original. My first Sharps Borchardt Rifle
was a Sporting Model in 22-3000 by CC Johnson and the Barrel was a Relined original. I removed the Liner and found it was relined inside the original bore, 45X2 4/10, 45-70. Restored it and have it still to this day. It turned out to be a really fine shooter. So, having a nice clean outside barrel with a original
For end may be why he kept it. Just a thought. look at the Muzzle for a witness of a Liner. HTH regards FITZ. OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Myself I would not change a thing on that rifle it is very nice just the way it is and you should be very proud to now own it. Its a bit beyond me why anyone would say if it were me I would do this, that or the other thing to it and a bit of a slap in the face. The fellow who built surely did it his way and I see no reason why one would now not want to respect it and honor him by just shooting it and continuing to care for it as it appears he did. And congratulations on a very nice find.

JLouis

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Aren't you the guy that said somebody ought to clock the screws on his rifle? Now, you get down on somebody making a comment about what he'd do if it were up to him. Go jabber to Gris.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Nope not me CF I did not say anything about clocking the screws or anything else negative about such a lovely rifle. Unlike yourself who very quickly and openly ridiculed this gentlemans fine new to him rifle. He just wanted to very proudly share it with the group and rightfully so. It is indeed a very nice nice rifle and one having barrel work done by one of the best at the time and a real treasure all of it's own.
But I do have to give you credit for trying to create a false narrative to try and cover up your own extreme and uncalled for rudness towards this gentleman and your now wanting to try and put the blame elsewhere instead of just owning up to it and and then apologizing for it.

JLouis

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
When you own something it's yours, and you can do what you like with it.

Yes, legally you can.  But philosophically and maybe even ethically you should think about the consequences of destroying history, even if it's only a sliver, even if it's not important to you.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint