Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) picked up a new (to me) Rem RB by CC Johnson (Read 8401 times)
Bonner

Re: picked up a new (to me) Rem RB by CC Johnson
Reply #45 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mr, J Louis. I hope it is a real shooter. Back in another life when I shoot 22 Benchrest, I had my pant's shoot off by a win 52 relined by Mr. Johnson. Mr. Rollingblock, What is so bad that someone changed this roller to fit there need's and like's ?? beauty is in the eye of the beholder!! Bonner 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #46 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Bonner wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:33pm:
Thanks Mr, J Louis. I hope it is a real shooter. Back in another life when I shoot 22 Benchrest, I had my pant's shoot off by a win 52 relined by Mr. Johnson. Mr. Rollingblock, What is so bad that someone changed this roller to fit there need's and like's ?? beauty is in the eye of the beholder!! Bonner 

Absolutely nothing wrong with it being changed! It's a period build, and should be appreciated as such.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
You are very welcome Bonner and what a real treasure for one to come across and then be able to call it his own. Would love to see some targets when and if time allows and you are able to spend some real enjoyable times getting out to shoot it.

JLouis

IP Logged

blindeye
Junior Forum Member

Reply #48 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
It wasn't a plain sporting rifle originally.  How many mid-range or long range #1's were made?  Because of it's rarity I'm with Joe, were it mine.  But it's not.

ASSRA#7987, OGCA, TSGC life, NRA life

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
CF please post a picture of your HW and maybe the good folks here could recommend some changes to help you improve it.  You have gone out of your way and been more than willing to provide suggestions to them and in appreciation for your efforts. I think they would be more than willing and happy to go out of their way to be able to do the same for you.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2018 at 5:40pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Hell I just don't give a hoot what you say. It's my rifle, and if you don't like it I don't care. I wish I had a dime for everything in my life somebody wanted done his way. Get over it you pedantic little trouble maker.
I'll tell ya this- its original barrel is fine inside. It was reblued before I got it, and that's a pity. The single set trigger it now sports is on a straight grip tang and the stock is a original Schuetzen one with the pistol grip whittled away. The prongs on the butt plate are cut off. The modern scope is mounted on a long weaver base and that's sure not original either. The whole thing was either made up or acquired by the man I got if from nearing forty years back. He bought it while attending college after the second war. I Never changed a thing, just shot it, and shot it, and shot it. Sometimes I clean it. So, that's the whole truth. I don't care if you know that. It's not too photogenic, nor am I.
Now, why don't you remember your comments about the screws?

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Is the location of the metal forend tip on that roller supposed to be in front of the octagon-to-round transition point on the barrel?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Nah, just one that some disrespectful owner before me took liberties on his own property with. Shoots pretty good, though. It's like having a car that is really dependable, but ugly. From the driver's seat you can't tell- same principle works behind the scope.  Ooops, gotta go, JL's over on another thread criticizing somebody for casting bullets his own way. Funny how he can call me out for making a comment, then go right over there and do it himself. I dunno........
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:33pm by calledflyer »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
CF you never cease to amaze me I have never seen your rifle, never had a bad word to say about it so how in the hell did you come up with this newly fabricated false narrative about how I don't like it and how you could careless on what I have to say while not having not said anything about it. I asked you to share a picture not an unusual request and it caused you to become delusional not at all normal and more than a bit concerning. You and don't take it wrongly are in dire need of a neck up check up.

JLouis

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
What sounds false? I was just saying that I don't care what folks say about my things, they work for me. Who'd make that description up about his own stuff? Look, I'm going on a trip. See ya in a few days, give ya time to figger this out- go blubber to Gris.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
About that forend tip, BP.  That particular configuration most often indicates that the barrel has been cut off at the breech end to enable cutting a new chamber.  The usual way to verify this is to remove the forend and look for a second, earlier hole (or indications thereof) for the forend screw.

There are, of course, other ways to make that change which will preserve the barrel's length and the gun's aesthetics. But they take more work and skill and so cost more time and money.  Plus, as this particular post has made very clear, some folks simply don't care about aesthetics - and other things.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

brian1
Junior Forum Member

Reply #56 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:16am:
What brass do you need for making cases?
                  Joe.

Brass is made from .25-20 Single Shot (not .25-20 Win).  I got some last fall for another Lovell (I have 4 now), plus a couple .25-20 SS rifles I acquired.  Sure wish I'd bought more, as that source is apparently now out of business.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2018 at 12:40am by brian1 »  

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 1:14am
Print Post  

Grin  Grin  Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint