Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard Assembly Question (Read 1773 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ballard Assembly Question
Reply #15 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:48am
Print Post  
rustyrelx wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 2:23pm:
Thimbles are blued

Not so Don. I always thought they were blued too. But about 18 months ago I stumbled onto a minty Pacific that had been coated in varnish for many decades to protect it. After removing the varnish I found all the original finish on this gun, and saw the thimbles were indeed color cased! This .40-85 Pacific is unaltered and has been in the same family since it was new!
Here's a picture:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
He calls himself marlinguy for a good reason, Joe, and not just because he has or makes the Luck of a gawd-fearin' Irishman!  (But you can raz him a bit, you with the Mystery Ballard.)

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:32pm:
How do you know it's factory original?

Joe.

I'm pretty sure if I handed you this gun you'd agree it's all original Joe. It's obvious it's never been tinkered with. But I also know it's been in the same family since new, and no reason they'd have ever redone it either. In fact it was so nice they decided to remove the wood and varnish all the metal 40 or 50 years ago to protect the original finish!
Here's the first time the original finish was exposed in 40 or 50 years. Right after I took a chance and bought it, not knowing what might be under the varnish! I used acetone to reveal the caliber, as I couldn't even see that much through the varnish!

Like Don, I too had always thought the original thimbles were blued. Every restoration I'd seen had blued thimbles, but I don't think anyone had seen an original Pacific in good enough shape to determine the thimble finish. If I'd done one myself I'd have had the thimbles blued before. It's not like there were any pictures of new Pacifics to go by, so no way to know until I found this original in a local family's collection and bought it.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
I agree with Vall. Somewhere in my foggy memory's past I found out the thimbles were CC.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

chipmaker

Reply #19 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
I needed to blue the front sight and decided to blue the thimbles as well. Below are pictures of the barrel with both finishes of the thimbles. I think that I like the blue ones best.
It's interesting that the thimbles took twice as much rusting applications to blue than the front sight or non case hardened steel.
The thimbles were hard after CCH but showed little color, in contrast to the other parts in the same crucible.
The final step is to turn a brass tip for the cleaning rod. Does anyone know the diameter and length of the tip. Also, is the tip counterbored for a wood tang or turned with a tang to fit a hole drilled in the wood?
Otto

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
The thimbles would be harder to blue since they are casehardened. The softer barrels and other parts will blue much faster.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:58pm:
Thimbles on my Pacific are soft. No trace of colors anywhere. 
  Joe.

Not sure why your thimbles are soft Joe. I've seen a number of them broken from getting banged around, and didn't figure they'd be broken if they were soft metal?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint