Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Counterbored muzzle on .22 rifle (Read 483 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Counterbored muzzle on .22 rifle
Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I just bought a Stevens Tip Up Rifle on Gunbroker that was delivered today. Prety nice gun except someone has conterbored the muzzle the last 2 or 3 inches. I am assuming this was done to fix a worn or damaged muzzle. The rest of the rifiling looks good. I have seen where this is a possible satisfactory fix for this kind of a problem. Haven't been able to shoot it to see how the accuracy is. I plan to have a conversation with the seller about this. If it shoots ok I am thinking about keeping it if the seller is willing to make some sort of reasonable price adjustment. It's one of the nicer tip ups I have seen. This was not mentioned in the description and I have the option of returning it if not satisfied. Thoughts?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Counterbored muzzle on .22 rifle
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:03am
Print Post  
What diameter is the counterbore?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:47am
Print Post  
I have used this for a fix many times if the rest of the bore was good. Usually works quite well, but not always.
Lee Gibbs

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:12am
Print Post  
I had a .38 caliber rifle with a pristine bore except for a bulge and ring about 3” from the end of the barrel. Keyholed every bullet I fired.  I counterbored the end of the barrel past the bulge and ring, and polished the new “crown” as best I could.  Still keyholed every shot.  Continued the “counterbore” through the barrel and relined it.  No more keyholes.

I wouldn’t have minded the slight enlargement of the muzzle if the thing had shot OK.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I've seen that numerous times, and on all sorts of rifles and calibers. The ones I owned shot very well, and I'd not have a problem keeping it if you can end up resolving the price value with the seller.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
I talked to the seller this morning and he was ok with me test firing it. Gun shoots fine. Seller agreed to refund me $100 back off the selling price which I am good with so it's a keeper.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint