Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ball & Williams Ballard sporting rifle .44 rimfire (Read 14716 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ball & Williams Ballard sporting rifle .44 rimfire
Reply #45 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Pretty common for makers to upgrade wood on special order rifles back then. Often it was just automatically done without ordering upgraded wood, if you ordered special features. They just seemed to grab a better piece of blank when assembling these special rifles.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Wet and miserable weather today so fired up the casting pot.  Finally tried out the heeled Old West bullet that I bought to feed this old Ballard .44 rimfire.  .418" x .440" x 208 grains in fairly soft alloy.  Going to have to modify some .44 cases to use with these.  Planning to use the percussion nipple to ignite them.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

blackbahart

Reply #47 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
have a 38 rf/percussion cap Ballard .
I turned a new nipple and made it into a floating firing pin holder and hid the original in the butt stock for posterity .
I now CF and use 38 special cases with a heeled bullet ,for me this is more enjoyable to shoot the old gal

IP Logged

Mark.smith

Reply #48 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Hey y'all,  this is my first post, although I have been reading the forum for quite a while. I just got my first ballard, a merrimack arms rifle. Unfortunately it is missing the nipple, do y'all happen to know if I can get just a  generic nipple from dixie gunworks and put in or was it something specific to these guns?

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #49 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Well, I've joined the Ballard .44 rimfire club. I expected it to be a .46, but no - it's a .44. Actually groove diameter is .435". It seems .44-40 will be the best parent case to make .44 rimfire cases. I already made some from .44 magnum brass, but .44-40 is a better fit. Here is a dummy round I made up using a .44 S&W American bullet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint