Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ball & Williams Ballard sporting rifle .44 rimfire (Read 14712 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Ball & Williams Ballard sporting rifle .44 rimfire
Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I've been scratching my single shot rifle itch lately and I just received my latest purchase in today's mail.  Couldn't be happier.  It's a Ball & Williams mfg Ballard octagon sporting rifle in .44 rimfire / percussion with the dual ignition system.  Good condition overall with a good shootable bore.  Very light pitting in the grooves, but shouldn't hurt accuracy with my old eyes and open sights.  Came supplied with a lathe turned brass adaptor cartridge to use the percussion nipple for ignition and I will likely duplicate it and make some more to use in it.  He was also kind enough (?) to include 100 rounds of PPU .303 Savage brass that has been converted into .44 Ballard XL cases ... so now I guess I need to try and find myself a Ballard in .44 Ballard XL!
Anyway, here are some photos for your viewing enjoyment ...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Re: Ball & Williams Ballard sporting rifle .44 rimfire
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Looks like your setting yourself for some fun. Thanks for posting.

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Looks like a well cared for, solid Ball & Williams!

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Yes, I was more than happy when it arrived as it was much nicer than described by the seller.  The fact that it's the rimfire / percussion dual ignition makes it practical to shoot a bit using the chamber adaptor and a percussion cap.  I'm assuming that the nipple uses one of the larger "top hat" musket caps?  It looks way too big to fit a standard No. 11 percussion cap.  I will likely make up a few more adaptors similar to the one that was supplied with the rifle.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Dixie Gun Works sells those .44 caliber adapters already made up, and fitted for .22 blanks.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Yes, I've seen those ... so that is an option too.  (And it looks like they will ship them to Canada as well, and that can be a big issue with some reloading related components crossing the border these days.)  For some reason the large "top hat" musket caps are often very tough to find up here in my neck of the woods, but the .22 rimfire acorn blanks are very common.  (I'm sure that I still have some in a drawer somewhere with a single shot .22 blank gun that we used for bird dog training when we had our German Shorhaired Pointer.)

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
That's a really nice looking old Ballard. Congratulations  on finding it and bringing it back home to shoot. I'm doing the same with my .44 rimfire Rolling Block. I'll be using the Dixie cases and a round ball (not sure of the size yet) over black powder. Have fun with it!

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Having never seen one of those apart could someone tell me if the nipple is screwed into the 2 halves? Seems like if it is and since it all lines up with the center of the case that a clever machinist could make a nipple replacement that incorporated a firing pin somehow. Comments?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jul 25th, 2018 at 5:25pm:
Having never seen one of those apart could someone tell me if the nipple is screwed into the 2 halves? Seems like if it is and since it all lines up with the center of the case that a clever machinist could make a nipple replacement that incorporated a firing pin somehow.

Yes--I've seen it done on two of them.   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Chauncey, the Civil War reenactors do exactly what you mentioned to use old pre-Marlin Ballards in their reenactments. Not sure of the entire process, but whatever they do does permanently change the guns, and isn't just screwed into the old nipple position.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Well, I just received my Old West brass mould that I'll use to cast a heeled .44 rimfire bullet for this Ballard.  The Ballard slugs at .440" groove and the bullets from this mould are .440" on the driving bands and .418" to seat in the case mouth so it should be a good match.  I'll make up some more adaptor cartridges so that I have more than one to work with and then I will get this old girl up to the range and shooting again!

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks a lot for posting your bullet mould info, just what I needed to know for my .44 rf rolling block. I'll be ordering one as well. Now, to find .22 blanks....

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Try any sporting goods store that stocks dog training supplies (for .22 blank pistols) or a sporting goods store that stocks accessories for field sports (.22 blank pistols for starting races).  They're usually not too tough to find.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Al,
I've been considering one one of these for for quite a while, Merwin and Bray - Ball and Williams - pushed the button last week and it came in last night.  Mine isn't quite as nice as what you have - needs a little TLC and a couple of pieces made for it the trigger is broke off where it just begins to thin up, nipple is replaced with a plug, and the rear sight is missing but it's a simple project compared to a few of my others.   
I haven't had a lot of time to check it close but it looks to be around a .440 groove diameter (had to bump up a round ball to slug it ) not as good a reading as I like.  Mine is a 5 groove, left hand twist, close to 1:28" with wide lands and narrow grooves, is this close to what yours is?  I'll do chamber cast and double check bore diameter before making a mold... 

Have you shot yours yet, been awaiting a report.   Wink
Thanks for the nudge...
Regards,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Greg,
Is yours a nickeled receiver, or just old case colors turning nickel looking?

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Vall,
It appears to have been a nickle finish at one time and the age old question is do I refinish it with nickle or leave it be... It can be stripped but there's a lot of rusting and a couple of blisters, the lettering is faint already so there won't be any polishing - I don't want to restore it, just less maturity. (as with all guns I own, it will be used but not abused)  The wood has some shrinkage and the butt stock isn't original so it doesn't fit real well, a tiny bit of inletting and it should look a little better.  I'll leave the finish on the wood and barrel alone as it has the right amount of "crust" on it.
Greg

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
As rare as an assumed original nickel finish is on the early ones, I'd carefully clean the receiver but otherwise leave it alone.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the .44 rimfire Ballard club!  I'll have a closer look at mine and see how the bore compares to yours for twist.  Sadly I haven't had a chance to do anything with mine yet, I suffer from the same affliction as many folks on here ... WAY too many projects!  (And I still keep buying more!)  Haven't had a chance to try out the Old West heeled bullet mould yet, it's been way too hot here lately and with the multitude of forest fires we have burning in BC this year we have heavy smoke drifting over to Vancouver Island which really affects my breathing.  It's starting to cool off a bit and we're supposed to be getting a Pacific Ocean wind soon that may help to clear off some of the lingering smoke we have.

On a happier note, I was monitoring another Canadian online auction yesterday and I won another one of these .44 rimfire dual ignition Ballards for a shooting friend of mine!  It is a bit rougher than my example, but hopefully it will be a shooter too.  With two of the same guns needing bullets and ammunition fabricated hopefully the two of us will finally get our rears in gear and cast some bullets and make some more adapter cases and we'll get out to test them at our local range ...

GT wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 8:15pm:
Al,
I've been considering one one of these for for quite a while, Merwin and Bray - Ball and Williams - pushed the button last week and it came in last night.  Mine isn't quite as nice as what you have - needs a little TLC and a couple of pieces made for it the trigger is broke off where it just begins to thin up, nipple is replaced with a plug, and the rear sight is missing but it's a simple project compared to a few of my others.  
I haven't had a lot of time to check it close but it looks to be around a .440 groove diameter (had to bump up a round ball to slug it ) not as good a reading as I like.  Mine is a 5 groove, left hand twist, close to 1:28" with wide lands and narrow grooves, is this close to what yours is?  I'll do chamber cast and double check bore diameter before making a mold... 

Have you shot yours yet, been awaiting a report.   Wink
Thanks for the nudge...
Regards,
Greg

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
PS: I'm wondering if the hole that was drilled through the buttstock was added for a swivel of some kind to use a sling?  I see that a sling stud has been added under the barrel.  Just something else to puzzle over ...

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
GT wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 11:38am:

It appears to have been a nickle finish at one time and the age old question is do I refinish it with nickle or leave it be... It can be stripped but there's a lot of rusting and a couple of blisters, the lettering is faint already so there won't be any polishing...

Nothing looks worse than a deteriorating nickel finish. (Why is this so common--was the nickel plating just too thin, improper surface preparation, etc.?)  Reverse-electrolysis is the only to strip the nickel without damage to the underlying iron, but if "there's a lot of rusting" already, it might not matter so much, esp. if you've ruled out polishing.

Wish I could remember the name of the metal refinishing outfit in Florida (where crooks of every kind outnumber orange trees) that utterly ruined a nickel-plated Marlin Ballard receiver I sent them by stripping it with acid AFTER promising they used reverse-electrolysis!!!  These rotten bastards advertised in the SS Exchange, & when I told Bret Boyd about it, he said he'd cancel their future ads; it didn't happen, so I wonder how many other guns they destroyed.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:55pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
The hole through the wrist apparently houses a metal tube or perhaps a partial "bolt" that's been drilled and tapped.  If the wrist were cracked, I'd vote for the latter as half of a fairly elaborate repair.  But since you didn't mention any crack, I assume whatever it was meant to do, it was not strengthening the wrist.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:09pm:
PS: I'm wondering if the hole that was drilled through the buttstock was added for a swivel of some kind to use a sling?  I see that a sling stud has been added under the barrel.  Just something else to puzzle over ...

Could also be as simple as someone made it a wallhanger and did the hole to use as a means to secure it to the wall so it wouldn't be taken down easily, or knocked off.
Saw a few that way, and often one side of the gun's finish on metal and wood is darker than the wall side.

With the lever shape and pin in the frame to align the lever, it appears it might be a Brown Mfg. Ballard?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:15pm:
Could also be as simple as someone made it a wallhanger and did the hole to use as a means to secure it to the wall so it wouldn't be taken down easily, or knocked off.

Sounds like something J. M. Davis, founder of the (in)famous Davis Gun Museum in Clairemore, Ok. might have done, as he sure as hell loved "wall-hangers."

But since this relic already has the lug for a swivel installed in the buttstock, drilling the hole for attaching it to the wall makes as much sense as anything else.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  

With the lever shape and pin in the frame to align the lever, it appears it might be a Brown Mfg. Ballard?

Why only Brown?  Earlier makers used the same arrangement.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:49pm:

Yes, but I can't see a tang, and if it has no tangs, it's either Brown or Merrimack; others had top and bottom tangs. And the smaller loop on the lever looks more like the Brown, but could be an earlier Merrimack. And buttplate looks like a Brown, but might be a replacement.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:49pm:
Yes, but I can't see a tang, and if it has no tangs, it's either Brown or Merrimack

Look at the top photo--upper tang is visible.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately the auction house didn't take any photos of the other side of the action so we're not sure of the manufacturer until it arrives, BUT it is only a few hundred serial numbers away from my Ball & Williams Ballard so it MIGHT be the same maker?  Mine is serial #15885 and his is serial #16182, both are dual ignition octagon sporters in .44 rimfire, and both came from the Ontario region so I guess it is possible that these could be two guns out of one lot of guns shipped to a distributor in Canada?  No way to know of course, but it is interesting to speculate ...

marlinguy wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:49pm:
Redsetter wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:49pm:

Yes, but I can't see a tang, and if it has no tangs, it's either Brown or Merrimack; others had top and bottom tangs. And the smaller loop on the lever looks more like the Brown, but could be an earlier Merrimack. And buttplate looks like a Brown, but might be a replacement.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Oh ... and yes, it does have tangs ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Were there period tang sights that mounted in a dovetail instead of being screwed on?  I'm thinking that is why it has the extra dovetail on the rear of the action?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:47pm:
Were there period tang sights that mounted in a dovetail instead of being screwed on?  I'm thinking that is why it has the extra dovetail on the rear of the action?

YES!  This has--or had--a rare pre-Marlin Ballard tang-sight!  Why the hell would anyone remove it...except to sell separately?

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
The serial number on mine is about 1800 later than yours Al.  The lettering on the left side of my action is Merwin and Bray, the right side is Ball and Williams.  The other thing about mine is it's been modified for a center fire firing pin - I don't plan to convert it back to a nipple for a percussion cap - alienates me from this group somewhat...  Sad

Mine has the dovetail cut for the tang sight - part of the reason I was attracted to it, matches another that I have, imagine that - I've already made a sight for it and have one in process for this one...
Just have to do a chamber cast now and see what the cartridge is going to look like.
Greg

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #31 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Nice job on the tang sight!

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Do you happen to have any photos of the original Ballard dovetail tang sights?

Redsetter wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:03pm:
Reverend Al wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:47pm:

YES!  This has--or had--a rare pre-Marlin Ballard tang-sight!  Why the hell would anyone remove it...except to sell separately?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 3:54am:
Do you happen to have any photos of the original Ballard dovetail tang sights?

Sorry, I don't.  Good photos of them in Dutcher's Ballard book, which I'll try to scan later today, unless someone more enterprising (I hope) beats me to it.  Very simple construction, friction adjustment, no windage; frankly, GT's beautifully-built sight is way too fancy for any humble .44RF; but if he could build that one, a copy of the original would be child's play.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Nothing looks worse than a deteriorating nickel finish. (Why is this so common--was the nickel plating just too thin, improper surface preparation, etc.?)

The deterioration is mostly the result of early plating being done directly on the iron or steel.  Nowadays, shops generally put down an underlayer of copper for better adhesion.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #35 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
Unfortunately the auction house didn't take any photos of the other side of the action so we're not sure of the manufacturer until it arrives, BUT it is only a few hundred serial numbers away from my Ball & Williams Ballard so it MIGHT be the same maker? 

Yes, since it has tangs, it's not a Merrimack or Brown. Might be the same maker, but different makers may have restarted serial numbers, so could be a different maker also. R. Ball and Ball & Williams continued serial numbers since Ball was involved in both. Others I believe started their own serial number ranges.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #36 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 10:26am
Print Post  
The graduated peep that the pre Marlin Ballard rifles used was as Redsetter described, a simple sliding aperture. Just loosen the eyepiece and slide it up and down. The base on pre Marlin Ballards was a dovetail, whereas Marlins always used 1.125" hole spacing bases.
This sight is on my #1 Rolling Block in .22RF, but the staff is similar to what the earlier Ballard used.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #37 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
With a little bit of digging I found that S&S offers a reproduction dovetail Ballard sight for $85 so I sent my friend that bought the rifle the link.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 1:48pm:
With a little bit of digging I found that S&S offers a reproduction dovetail Ballard sight for $85 so I sent my friend that bought the rifle the link.

Wow--a major discovery!  Wouldn't have thought the potential demand was great enough to justify a repro selling for even twice that much.

I believe some Frank Wessons were equipped with the same sight, so maybe it's the combined demand that led to this repro.  Though I don't need one at all, I tempted to buy one while they're still available at such a fair price. 

By the way, on the one I already have, I found that placing a thin O-ring between the aperture & the staff made it easier to keep some tension on the aperture while adjusting it; without a screw-adjustment of some kind, it's difficult to make small changes in elevation with this sight.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #39 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Have to watch the scale on the side when adjusting this style of sight as they can suddenly move and surprise you. If you note the marks and know where you started then the surprise sudden movement wont be a big deal. I had to learn the hard way, so I write it down in my notebook before loosening the eyepiece.

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Here are a couple of old Ballards I have. A Merrimack No.44 and a R Ball No.46.

The R Ball has original nickel plate on the frame, breech block, trigger, forend cap, and buttplate. Lever and hammer casehardened. Barrel blued. The original tang sight has no graduations, otherwise like the reproduction sight mentioned in Reply # 37.

Regards,
Powderman

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:30pm by powderman »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Very nice wood on the nickel Ballard ...

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
The wood is nicer than shows in the photos. The varnish has darkened and clouded with age making the grain hard to see unless the gun is in hand.

The nickel plate on the iron parts is in unusually good condition. The nickel plate on the brass forend cap and brass buttplate have lost about 30% due to large pieces flaking off the brass. 

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Actually, even though it is a bit dark from age it sure doesn't take much imagination to see just how much feathering there is in the buttstock just behind the wrist of the action.  That is a beautiful piece of wood ...

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Yes indeed!

Every Time You Try And Fail The Closer You Are To Achieving Success.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #45 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Pretty common for makers to upgrade wood on special order rifles back then. Often it was just automatically done without ordering upgraded wood, if you ordered special features. They just seemed to grab a better piece of blank when assembling these special rifles.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Wet and miserable weather today so fired up the casting pot.  Finally tried out the heeled Old West bullet that I bought to feed this old Ballard .44 rimfire.  .418" x .440" x 208 grains in fairly soft alloy.  Going to have to modify some .44 cases to use with these.  Planning to use the percussion nipple to ignite them.

IP Logged

blackbahart

Reply #47 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
have a 38 rf/percussion cap Ballard .
I turned a new nipple and made it into a floating firing pin holder and hid the original in the butt stock for posterity .
I now CF and use 38 special cases with a heeled bullet ,for me this is more enjoyable to shoot the old gal

IP Logged

Mark.smith

Reply #48 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Hey y'all,  this is my first post, although I have been reading the forum for quite a while. I just got my first ballard, a merrimack arms rifle. Unfortunately it is missing the nipple, do y'all happen to know if I can get just a  generic nipple from dixie gunworks and put in or was it something specific to these guns?

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #49 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Well, I've joined the Ballard .44 rimfire club. I expected it to be a .46, but no - it's a .44. Actually groove diameter is .435". It seems .44-40 will be the best parent case to make .44 rimfire cases. I already made some from .44 magnum brass, but .44-40 is a better fit. Here is a dummy round I made up using a .44 S&W American bullet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint