Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How many here dress up for Octoberfest matches? (Read 2385 times)
calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: How many here dress up for Octoberfest matches?
Reply #15 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I'd like to see some of those goons in the big hats and wide chaps try to board a horse. A self-respecting horse, that is.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 3:51pm:
I'd like to see some of those goons in the big hats and wide chaps try to board a horse. A self-respecting horse, that is.

Must have been no self-respecting horses owned by all the film companies making "B" Westerns in the '30 & '40s, because true "10 Gallon" hats & fancy chaps were what all the cowhands wore; and except for the "stars," most of the movie cowboys in those days were REAL cowboys, because the cheapo film makers weren't paying actors to learn how to ride & rope.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
T'warn't the clothes I was speaking of. It's the pseudo-cowpoke that can hardly walk in 'em and has a pair of guns that are verging on falling out of the holster while he's standing still. Coupled with a near certain lack of horse. Hell, horses don't care about what clothes you wear or what ya look like, or they'd never have let me on 'em.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
They pretty much dressed like they did everyday when it comes to Pope, Mann and friends. If you look at their Woodchuck  hunting photos they are all wearing pretty much the same clothes they went to matches in and wore daily. We too are basically doing the same thing today as they were doing during their time.

JLouis

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 6:21pm:
We too are basically doing the same thing today as they were doing during their time.

JLouis

I don't think so, because the desire to "look respectable" in public, which prevailed even among blue collar workers until well after WWI, has succumbed to the degraded standards that got their start in the Rotten '60s.  "Looking respectable" is not so much something you do to gratify yourself, it's what you do to show your respect for the opinions of the people around you; a dead concept for many years.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 9:59am
Print Post  
I still recall my dad never going out without his fedora on. He wore them to and from work too, but switched out to a baseball cap at work. But he also wore somewhat of a dress garbe at work. Khaki shirt and pants were his standard uniform, although there was no requirement at his job to wear any certain work wear.
I remember seeing his fellow employees wearing typical jeans, coveralls, or whatever they chose. Dad had coveralls also, but they went over his khakis when the job was a dirty one and he wanted to protect his daily work clothes.
Dad was born in 1904, so a different time when guys wanted to look their best at work, or home. I think the pictures I see of guys at shooting events were typical of their daily dress. So dressing in late 1800's or early 1900's style would simply recreate the dress of that period. Unless you wanted to dress up in Octoberfest style, which wouldn't really reflect the shooting wear of our shooters during the period.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Redsetter I was not trying to point out who dressed the better or why but what we now wear to the matches or to the hunting fields for that matter.
Vall my grandfather always dressed similar to Pope and friends. My Dad now 97 not so as the times / style were already changing. The 60's were not all that different it went from iridescent shark skin pants, dress shirts and shoes Jr. high to Levi's and Pendleton shirts high school. There was also a strick dress code hair could not touch shirt coller or ears and shirts had to have at least one pocket public school policy. Often times the 60's seem to reflect the Hippie generation those who dropped out of school, dropped into drugs and headed to Haight and Ashbury far from the normal dress of the day. Shortly after the Urban Cowboy look came along and became more of the normal dress of the day along with the Disco look about the same time frame. In other words its been an ongoing and pretty much constant change not just some ill effects brought about by the 60's alone.

JLouis

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:37am:
In other words its been an ongoing and pretty much constant change not just some ill effects brought about by the 60's alone.
JLouis

There are always pockets out of the mainstream where the effects of social changes going on elsewhere in the world are minimized. Take Afghanistan for ex.--still stuck firmly in the Dark Ages, except for their AKs & suicide-vests.

But the '60s were the evil years when the radical Left really began to take over the country with (so-called) civil rights & anti-war protests, draft riots, etc. & with of course the enthusiastic cooperation of their greatest ally, the left-wing media. The true Hippies actually stayed out of the political upheaval, as they were too busy enjoying LSD & free love.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Nah, I think it was the sixties. Look at the rock 'n' roll groups of the fifties in their suits and ties, even the early Beattles etc. Then, look at the later sixties. See a change? Not slow at all.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Redsetter the times have changed for sure but I blame it on the changes to the educational system and not a small point in time. The issue with going to a match and dressing the same as Pope and friends is you just can't walk into a Men's store as they once did and walkout with the same there is no money in it for the stores to still carry such items. And even more so the once large variety of dress hats that were once quite plentiful in every Men's store and the hat alone once spoke allot about the man wearing it. Its really quite sad to see them now gone as it's hard to surpass a nice a hat and a nice singleshot shot rifle to go with it in my book they go together quite well.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:58pm by J Louis »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:49pm:
And even more so the once large variety of dress hats that were once quite plentiful in every Men's store and the hat alone once spoke allot about the man wearing it. Its really quite sad to see them now gone as it's hard to surpass a nice a hat and a nice singleshot shot rifle to go with it in my book they go together quite well.

For many decades, I never drove past an antique store without going in, & one of the things I was always looking for were quality felt hats.  They were hard to find (except in pin-head sizes), but dirt cheap when you ran across one; in fact, a good hat BOX was usually priced higher than a hat!

Then ebay came along & the tables were turned--now it's easy to find high-quality hats from the '20s through the '50s, but no longer are they dirt cheap!

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I had a real nice Stevens Favorite that was purchased from a local Antique Store not that far back for a $100.00 and my Grandson now has it. They also had an Aydt but it needed some tender loving care. I have never come accross any hats. I still have my Grand Dad's daily worn hat but it is too small for my head or it would have become my lucky shooting hat. This store was also more geared around furniture and furnishings they being their specialty and probably why the Favorite was so very reasonablly priced and somewhat out of place and the last place one would expect to find such a thing. I like you enjoy seeing what one might find by visiting such places Redsetter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint