Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How many here dress up for Octoberfest matches? (Read 1521 times)
calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: How many here dress up for Octoberfest matches?
Reply #30 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Nah, I think it was the sixties. Look at the rock 'n' roll groups of the fifties in their suits and ties, even the early Beattles etc. Then, look at the later sixties. See a change? Not slow at all.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Redsetter the times have changed for sure but I blame it on the changes to the educational system and not a small point in time. The issue with going to a match and dressing the same as Pope and friends is you just can't walk into a Men's store as they once did and walkout with the same there is no money in it for the stores to still carry such items. And even more so the once large variety of dress hats that were once quite plentiful in every Men's store and the hat alone once spoke allot about the man wearing it. Its really quite sad to see them now gone as it's hard to surpass a nice a hat and a nice singleshot shot rifle to go with it in my book they go together quite well.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:58pm by J Louis »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:49pm:
And even more so the once large variety of dress hats that were once quite plentiful in every Men's store and the hat alone once spoke allot about the man wearing it. Its really quite sad to see them now gone as it's hard to surpass a nice a hat and a nice singleshot shot rifle to go with it in my book they go together quite well.

For many decades, I never drove past an antique store without going in, & one of the things I was always looking for were quality felt hats.  They were hard to find (except in pin-head sizes), but dirt cheap when you ran across one; in fact, a good hat BOX was usually priced higher than a hat!

Then ebay came along & the tables were turned--now it's easy to find high-quality hats from the '20s through the '50s, but no longer are they dirt cheap!

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I had a real nice Stevens Favorite that was purchased from a local Antique Store not that far back for a $100.00 and my Grandson now has it. They also had an Aydt but it needed some tender loving care. I have never come accross any hats. I still have my Grand Dad's daily worn hat but it is too small for my head or it would have become my lucky shooting hat. This store was also more geared around furniture and furnishings they being their specialty and probably why the Favorite was so very reasonablly priced and somewhat out of place and the last place one would expect to find such a thing. I like you enjoy seeing what one might find by visiting such places Redsetter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint