Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ho Hum high wall (Read 5702 times)
rodneys
Senior Forum Member

Re: Ho Hum high wall
Reply #45 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Here is the fixture that holds the hammer so we could move the full cock notch down 1/16”. It clamps in the mill vice and milled as shown.

IP Logged

jfeldman
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I'd just like to add my thanks to GT and Rodney for this thread.  It's very informative and enlightening for someone like myself, and I appreciate the effort!

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Could not agree more Joe and cannot thank them enough for the knowledge being handed down.

JLouis

IP Logged

rodneys
Senior Forum Member

Reply #48 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys as you can see there are several ways to get the job done. It just depends on what equipment you have and time you want to spend on fixtures. Guys like Greg and others like the challenge and problem solving that is involved building single shots. I know I learn new ways of doing things from anybody that builds things. One of my students came up with a way of holding dowel pins for grinding to length that is so simple . I will post a picture later.

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #49 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks Rodney for posting your progress, procedures,and pictures -  between the class and my current work load it's been a little chaotic.  I've had best intentions of posting like you've done but as you can tell I've failed miserably.   I will try to post a few photos of our progress next week.  Most of the fixtures I can think of are finished and tried but it still requires quite a bit of time as I  explain the process - the how and the why - we still have 7 weeks of classes so I'm thinking the actions should be finished.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"To anger a conservative, lie to him - to anger a liberal, tell him the truth"  Teddy R.

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #50 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 12:21am
Print Post  
We cut a few corners and decided that the forend recess was over -rated.  If they want later they can go back and cut the rest of the recess - for now it's similar to the Borchardt's

"To anger a conservative, lie to him - to anger a liberal, tell him the truth"  Teddy R.

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #51 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 1:08am
Print Post  
I tired of working on my HW, a couple holes and some fitting and finishing left, waiting on a barrel - that's the thing about working on the same thing for such a long time...  Grin  So I went digging for another delayed project - found a Wesley Richards casting and a couple more- adding to the class mix.   Smiley

IP Logged

rodneys
Senior Forum Member

Reply #52 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Looking good Greg. I had thought about doing away with the forearm recess on the high wall too, but they wanted it like the orginial. Mostly because the duplicated stocks would fit, I think. I sure like those British singleshots, 1902 Webly round block, 1897 Westly- Richards and the Jeffery Farquharson.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Very nice, Greg. The Winchester looks really good.
Those English actions set a high standard for workmanship.
Looks like the Farquharson has the two piece extractor, which is probably the best ever designed.
Chuck

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #54 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Thanks guys,
The Wesley and I are getting along real well at the moment so I may have yet another to shoot next spring?   
I was looking at a picture of a Gibbs that had a lump in the tang and a dovetail cut in this lump for a tang sight, since this action has the trigger blocking safety on the side it will work.  It'll give me another sight to come up with this winter.
Greg

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #55 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Here's a few more pictures, have a couple more pins to make and after that it's all about the fitting to make them work and function.

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #56 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 1:49am
Print Post  
We have a little more than two weeks left so the actions should be completed.   I've been spending a little time on the weekends working on mine, just to keep them motivated -  Wink  should be shooting by late next week???   Had a lot of visitors coming through the class, looks like my next one may have a waiting list?
May have a few new shooters too, a couple commented that they aren't interested in building - yet,  but they are fascinated with the religion...  Grin

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #57 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Hopefully the last fixture made and the last of the pins and screws
Still some firing pins yet...

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 10:51am
Print Post  
GT, Nice looking work!!  I don't know if you've noticed it or not but an  original high wall hammer has a double radius on the back side.  I don't know if it's to help the sear pick up the sear notch and  half cock notch or what but it might be worth taking a look at. Maybe somebody else has the answer as to why Winchester has a double radius on the back of the hammer. Bob
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2018 at 1:52pm by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

rodneys
Senior Forum Member

Reply #59 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Awesome fixtures. I will have to make one like it. Thanks Gregg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint