Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Single Shot Pistol ID (Read 1403 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Re: Single Shot Pistol ID
Reply #15 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:59pm:
JS47 wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 10:44pm:
If the accumulated knowledge that's on this forum could somehow be put in a book it would be one hell of a volume!

The extractor would work for a 22 rimfire as well as the 32. I doubt that it has been reblued since all the edges are sharp and the color looks like a good rust blue. The owner is a pretty fair machinist and if we could come up with a barrel, or even some good drawings, he could most likely get the old girl shooting again.

JS

JS47,
Can you get a distance measurement on that 35 frame, from a line extending horizontally across the frame from the top of the barrel catch slot (to establish a datum line), then vertically from the horizontal datum line to the bottom of the firing pin hole?
And what is the diameter of the firing pin hole (not the tip of the pin)?

BP,

By pushing the barrel catch through the frame and using the calipers as a depth mike I get a pretty consistent .240".

Distance from the top of the frame to the bottom of the firing pin hole is about .050", which would make the distance from the datum line you suggest to be .290".

The firing pin hole is .100".

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 9:03pm:
For the very little it's worth, barrels for the Model 35 have shown up on eBay at least twice in the last few years.  Moreover, while properly fitting a factory barrel to the poster's frame might take some inventive machining, it would, I'd guess, still be much less work than making a whole new barrel.

One last caution.  Barrels for the Model 43 (the "Diamond") are also sometimes found.  But that model has a much smaller frame.

Bill Lawrence

While it may not necessarily have a high worth according to perhaps the most recent edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values, relative worth always factors into the equation, and some of us just plain like being able to carry and shoot the old 35's.
If I owned that frame, I'd want to complete it for my own personal use and enjoyment, and also know that it is often easier and quicker to machine and finish-fit new parts, than to have to try to make do with and repair old worn-out used-up sloppy parts from questionable sources (which may be exactly why they've been put up for sale in the first place).
YMMV.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:01pm:
BP wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:59pm:
JS47 wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 10:44pm:
If the accumulated knowledge that's on this forum could somehow be put in a book it would be one hell of a volume!

The extractor would work for a 22 rimfire as well as the 32. I doubt that it has been reblued since all the edges are sharp and the color looks like a good rust blue. The owner is a pretty fair machinist and if we could come up with a barrel, or even some good drawings, he could most likely get the old girl shooting again.

JS

JS47,
Can you get a distance measurement on that 35 frame, from a line extending horizontally across the frame from the top of the barrel catch slot (to establish a datum line), then vertically from the horizontal datum line to the bottom of the firing pin hole?
And what is the diameter of the firing pin hole (not the tip of the pin)?

BP,

By pushing the barrel catch through the frame and using the calipers as a depth mike I get a pretty consistent .240".

Distance from the top of the frame to the bottom of the firing pin hole is about .050", which would make the distance from the datum line you suggest to be .290".

The firing pin hole is .100".

JS

JS,
Thanks for the numbers.
I'll pull my complete 35 out, and see how closely your #'s compare to those from my frame, and if we have a reasonably good match, I'll PM you dims from my 35's barrel.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 2:31am
Print Post  
JS,

Just in case the PM notification is still glitching,   PM sent.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint