Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Single Shot Pistol ID (Read 2305 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Single Shot Pistol ID
Oct 3rd, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
If this is off topic the moderator has my permission to remove it. (Like he really needs my permission!).

A friend was given this pistol minus the barrel many years ago and forgot about it until he re-discovered it the other day. We would like some help in identifying it and possibly coming up with a barrel. It appears to be well made with an excellent trigger and a fast lock time. It has a round firing pin and the extractor is a perfect fit for a 32 S&W. Any help will be appreciated. Sure do wish we still had the off topic forum for this kind of question.
JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Single Shot Pistol ID
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
The back half of a Stevens Gould model, or a copy thereof.  Should be marked, but maybe the markings were polished off.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Oct 3rd, 2018 at 4:57pm:
Sure do wish we still had the off topic forum for this kind of question.
JS

Anything built by a major SS manufacturer should be fair game.  And anyway, building pistols was how Stevens got started.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
That sure is an interesting single shot pistol.  Must be a barrel for one around somewhere.  I read up on them.  Most were rimfires.  The only CF ones were said to have been made for .32 Short Colt. 

If you found a barrel and lined it for .32 S&W Long, would that be safe?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
The frame, by the way, was originally nickeled, so it's been refinished.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Redsetter could well be right.  But the hammer outline looks later and the stocks aren't checkered, so my initial guess was the plainer and much-longer-produced Model 35 (the "Offhand").

However, the comment about the extractor, assuming it's not been modified, is confusing.  Except for the shotshell version, the Model 35 was supposedly only offered in .22 RF.  And since this is DEFINITELY NOT a Model 36 or Model 38 (the "Lord" and "Conlin", resprctively), perhaps the Model 37 (the "Gould") which was routinely offered in .32 RF is the best supposition.

As for being a copy, the "modern" ones are insultingly cheap while the period ones I've seen, primarily Belgian and German, have subtle differences in the outline of the frame, grip, and/or hammer that say "That's not a Stevens".

And finally, since I'm not completely convinced that "Model 35" is not correct, please note the later ones did have blued frames.

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:20pm by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
It's a Stevens 35. Check out the one I fixed up for Joe Do on this thread (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
The guard is different but the one on Joe's pistol I think has been changed. I have a Stevens ad for the Number 35 on the wall here and it shows a guard like yours.

The Number 35 was always blued and always chambered for .22 long rifle. They generally used a round firing pin even in rimfire calibers. The fact that the extractor fits a .32 shell may mean its a replacement or is worn. Hard to tell if it fits the chamber without a barrel.

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Looks like a Stevens 35 to me. They came blued and nickel. Looks like it has been re blued. Early version was available in .25 Stevens. They were also avaliable in .410 shotgun. It's possible that it was a .410 and the barrel was removed because these were not legal to posess without the proper paper work.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 3:19am
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 12:11am:
Looks like a Stevens 35 to me. They came blued and nickel. Looks like it has been re blued. Early version was available in .25 Stevens. They were also available in .410 shotgun. It's possible that it was a .410 and the barrel was removed because these were not legal to possess without the proper paper work.

I had the same idea. 

Then again, it is a Stevens, so nearly any combination of parts is possible. 

I have a Model 47, 44 action, with a barrel marked 25/20 with an original Stevens stamp, chambered for the SS case, but the bore & rifling is for a .25 rimfire.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
If the accumulated knowledge that's on this forum could somehow be put in a book it would be one hell of a volume!

The extractor would work for a 22 rimfire as well as the 32. I doubt that it has been reblued since all the edges are sharp and the color looks like a good rust blue. The owner is a pretty fair machinist and if we could come up with a barrel, or even some good drawings, he could most likely get the old girl shooting again.

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:12am
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 12:11am:
Looks like a Stevens 35 to me. They came blued and nickel. Looks like it has been re blued. Early version was available in .25 Stevens. They were also avaliable in .410 shotgun. It's possible that it was a .410 and the barrel was removed because these were not legal to posess without the proper paper work.

If .410, would it be a CF frame?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I'm prety sure the difference was in the barrel not the frame on the tip up.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
FWIW, Made a barrel for one from bar stock and lined it with a .22 RF liner.
Chuck

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 10:44pm:
If the accumulated knowledge that's on this forum could somehow be put in a book it would be one hell of a volume!

The extractor would work for a 22 rimfire as well as the 32. I doubt that it has been reblued since all the edges are sharp and the color looks like a good rust blue. The owner is a pretty fair machinist and if we could come up with a barrel, or even some good drawings, he could most likely get the old girl shooting again.

JS

JS47,
Can you get a distance measurement on that 35 frame, from a line extending horizontally across the frame from the top of the barrel catch slot (to establish a datum line), then vertically from the horizontal datum line to the bottom of the firing pin hole?
And what is the diameter of the firing pin hole (not the tip of the pin)?

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:49pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
For the very little it's worth, barrels for the Model 35 have shown up on eBay at least twice in the last few years.  Moreover, while properly fitting a factory barrel to the poster's frame might take some inventive machining, it would, I'd guess, still be much less work than making a whole new barrel.

One last caution.  Barrels for the Model 43 (the "Diamond") are also sometimes found.  But that model has a much smaller frame.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint