Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Varner Sporting Arms business for sale. (Read 656 times)
dibbler

Varner Sporting Arms business for sale.
Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:13am
Print Post  
The Varner Sporting Arms business is for sale on Gunbroker:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Varner Sporting Arms business for sale.
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Strange way to sell a gun business.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
I thought they were long gone and the Varner Favorite was no longer available so it is a bit interesting.

IP Logged

kensmachine

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
it's been for sale for years. someone has made the Varner Favorite off an on over the years. Ken

IP Logged

RSW
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I bought a Varner Favorite back in the early or middle 80s (don't remember exactly when). It's a nice little rifle and a pleasure to shoot. My rifle looks just like the one in their Gunbroker listing. Higher quality than the original Stevens.
I wonder if there is a market for such a rifle these days.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
My doctor told me I need to drink more water, so I started adding an ice cube to my Bourbon.
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:07pm:
I bought a Varner Favorite back in the early or middle 80s (don't remember exactly when). It's a nice little rifle and a pleasure to shoot. My rifle looks just like the one in their Gunbroker listing. Higher quality than the original Stevens.
I wonder if there is a market for such a rifle these days.

I'd like to buy one for my 11-year old granddaughter.  If I found that Favorite for $450, I'd look at it pretty hard and probably reach for my wallet.  There must be more old geezers like me with grandkids, political correctness be damned.  But would there be a thousand of us? 

If you add the purchase price of the business and all the hassles of buying a gun manufacturing business in an anti-gun place like WA, plus the hassles of getting a valid manufacturing license and the attendant paperwork, and made a guess as to how many you might sell, would you be an investor?

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Going by what's been posted here so far, does it still make sense for C. Sharps Arms to reproduce the little Hopkins and Allen?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Won't that depend on the price(s) they decide they need to charge?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

830singleshot

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
If you add the purchase price of the business and all the hassles of buying a gun manufacturing business in an anti-gun place like WA, plus the hassles of getting a valid manufacturing license and the attendant paperwork, and made a guess as to how many you might sell, would you be an investor?

No.  I would place this in the hobby category, not a viable, long term business.  Henry pulled it off by redesigning a lever gun that is basically a CNC produced product that appeals to a much wider audience and can be inexpensively produced.

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

RSW
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
IMO, the Varner rifle business may be on the market for quite a while. If those rifles could retail for, say . . . $500, about 500 rifles would have to be sold to pay for buying the business. I don't know if they could be produced to sell in that price range or if they would be attractive at that price. Having to lay out 1/4 of a million to buy a business, then have to crank out 500 rifles before seeing a dime of profit, does not seem to me like a good return on investment.
Whether or not there is even any demand, is a whole 'nuther matter.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
My doctor told me I need to drink more water, so I started adding an ice cube to my Bourbon.
IP Logged

Zack T

Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Selling 500 guns at $500 to break even assumes free labor, raw materials, advertising and zero overhead in a shop. Would be lucky to be seeing a profit before 1500-2000 were sold. I doubt there would be that kind of demand in an average lifetime.

IP Logged

kensmachine

Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:07am
Print Post  
it's been on the market for a long time I was asked 10-15 years ago if I was interested in buying it. I dont know if it sold in that time or not Ken

IP Logged

bpjack
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
And as the listing says “buyer to pay actual shipping costs”.  Will the business and all that goes with it fit in a USPS flat rate box?

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Yesterday I did nothing and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:46am
Print Post  
I don't know what they're selling for $250,000, but if I wanted to be in the reproduction Favorite business, I think I'd go about it from scratch instead of buying a non-operating older business for a high price.  If it was an operating, profitable business that you could step in, shadow the current owners for 6 months and simply take over production, it might be worth $250,000.  If it's a bunch of leftover machine from production 25 years ago, and a few fixtures and a small amount of name recognition and goodwill, I don't think there's $250,000 of value there.  Maybe $5000 over the value of the machines and parts. 

Technology moves on.  I'd much rather invest my $250,000 in CNC machining centers, abrasive water jet cutters, etc than in obsolete machines from a few years back.  Or, invest much less in tooling, and sub out the water jet cutting and wire EDM cutting to job shops and do only the finishing in house.

I doubt you'd have more than $25,000 in having a professional machine shop reverse engineer and produce detailed 3D models of all the Favorite parts.  Add another $10,000 to that, and I think they'd have code written and prototype production processes worked out.  At that point, you could have job shops custom machine out the parts.  Or, set up for production yourself.  I may be way high on what it would cost to do the modeling, I know I did it for the Fields Patent side lever falling block myself and it took me about 3 months of my spare time to teach myself the software and do it.  Someone that knows the software could do it in a few days.

That said, from my experience with the Fields Action project, I'm not sure that you could small shop it and make it profitable.  My costs to produce the Fields action I estimated at over $550, not counting advertising, licensing, insurance, etc.  That was just materials and machining, in small quantity.  I decided to put it off until I retired; look at it as a hobby and not as a for-profit business.  It was way more profitable to do other business stuff instead.  The closer I get to retirement, the less I'm inclined to do it.  Somehow the motivation just seems to be less each year!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint