Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Remington number 4 action strength query (Read 256 times)
corerftech

Remington number 4 action strength query
Oct 11th, 2018 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
I know itís been covered countless times.... I tried a search and found nothing of merit.
Planning on adopting a rem 4 in 25-10 with hopes of converting to a different CF round.

Can it handle the likes of a 32 s&w, Iíll assume a black Powder Hornet is totally out.
Considering there are no viable off the shelf replacements for the rifle Iíd need a contemporary cartridge that can be used as a pressure index only, meaning donít exceed Xxxx psi, etc. the rest is up to me to conjure a piece of brass up that may replace the 25-10.

I donít own a #4 yet and may opt for a liner and 22 LR.
The bore is said to be as unfired and itís a shame to waste a good .251 bore.

25 acp????

A pressure or thrust limit (considering I need longevity) is what is in order.

Much appreciated

Mike

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington number 4 action strength query
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
corerftech,

Did you happen to run across these nuggets?

John Taylor wrote:
Quote:
Breach thrust on a 22 rim fire is in the neighborhood of 912 pounds. The 32-20 is closer to 1550 pounds. I don't have pressure levels for the old 32 rim fire but I don't think it was any where close to the 32-20. I have heard of a few 32-20 #4s that have been made but I would not want to be around one that is being shot. Many years ago I made a threaded frame #4 into 32 S&W but doing the numbers I now believe it was not a good idea.

ssdave wrote:
Quote:
The diameter of the pin, near as I can measure it, is .187 on the root of the threads and .213 on the unthreaded side.  So, in double sheer, the average is .200.  A picture will clear this up a lot more than words, but the angle between the breechblock/hammer bearing and the thrust centerline is 55 degrees, but the geometry to the center pivot is different than I first calculated.  I'll have to draw up a diagram and see if it's solvable by simple mechanics.   The problem can be stated as two load forces on the block, and one resisting force from the pivot pin.  The first load is the breech thrust, and it acts clockwise at an azimuth of 90 degrees, .520" above center.  The second load is the hammer support force, and it acts  counterclockwise, azimuth of 305 degrees, .520" right of center, measured perpendicular to the force.  So, the moment arms are equal, and the hammer force equals the breech thrust.  Now, just have to resolve the forces.  I'll calc them and then post again.

dave

Edit: 

Solved the forces, the pin sees a force of 842 pounds.  The forces do not multiply, they reduce.  The result is 13,400 psi for a .22 at 912 pounds.  For the .32-20 at 1550 ponds, the result is 22,774 psi.

ssdave also wrote:
Quote:
Regardless of all this, what we anecdotally know is that #4 rolling blocks that are shot with higher pressure or larger cases shoot loose.  That's enough reason for me to avoid them.  I personally made that decision when I saw one chambered in .22 magnum that shot loose over less than 200 rounds.  I purchased it from the friend that had it done, and relined it back to .22 lr, after making new pins and tightening up the takedown screw.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

corerftech

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Thatís the jewels I was looking for and failed to find.
I do not need another 22 and so I will pass on the rifle!

Much appreciated!!

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
The take down models shoot loose with 22 ammo. A solid frame one will make a nice 22 but I would not make one into a larger caliber. Even then I would stick with Std Velocity ammo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint