Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) collecting future (Read 5468 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: collecting future
Reply #120 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 12:56pm:
Did not know and doesn't seem right that a museum would have the uncontrolled authority to do such a thing but it is indeed good to know.

I wont mention names, but I was told this is common by the firearms curator of one of the larger museums in the US. Not the Cody Museum, but another.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #121 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Having worked both in and for public museums, I can vouch for what Vall states.  But I will also note that most often museum's deaccession from their collections because that's the best way - and sometimes the only way - they have of raising funds for necessary and often overdue maintenance,  improved storage facilities, new acquisitions, and other expensive projects.  Furthermore, please remember, what you donate is often accepted under the general umbrella of "aiding the museum's mission", and sometimes money is the aid they need.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #122 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Yesterday Cabela's told me they are no longer interested in black powder guns in their Gun Room.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Oh well, a touch of grey,
kinda suits you anyway

Reply #123 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Muzzle loaders?

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #124 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Those, even antique, and BCCR.  All they wan is modern stuff these days.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #125 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Don't forget that "Cabela's" is Bass Pro.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #126 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 2:44pm:
Yesterday Cabela's told me they are no longer interested in black powder guns in their Gun Room.

Great! Another reason not to waste my time stopping by Cabelas!

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #127 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
If they have any on hand in their stores I would tend to bet one could cut a pretty good deal right now if wanting to do away with them?

IP Logged

KAF
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #128 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
New contact for membership:

7920 36th St  S
Scotts MI 49088-9302

m.gibbs@att.net

Not sure when the form online will be updated.

Keith L 3240

IP Logged

Ballard6

Reply #129 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Wow !!  I didn't know when I started this question there would be such a great response with varied opinions.  Very much appreciate each reply.  Just finished looking at prices realized for recent Rock Island auction and see where several single shots went for great prices.  This shows in my opinion that quality guns still demand high prices.  Merry Christmas and hope every has a great New Year.  Remember next year will be brand new and ain't been used by nobody !!

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Oh well, a touch of grey,
kinda suits you anyway

Reply #130 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Reading the responses to this thread, there seems to be a disparity in pricing between prices paid in auctions to those in some gun stores and shows.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #131 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Aaron,

I think we've all seen some stores and shows attempt to apply auction house prices to their "wares" (often of far lesser quality and condition), only to have those items sit for extended periods of time, until the owner finally decides that that item is actually only worth what the individual standing in front of them is actually willing to pay for it.     Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #132 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Excellent topic, and great replies by Aaron and BP as it pertains to auction houses and LGS or gun shows.

It's impossible to compare prices realized at auction houses with their huge combined audience of online bidders, and bidders at the auction. Compare that to even a big show that gets several thousand people through the door, and it's minuscule. Plus the fact that often the LGS or gun show wont see those prices because often if a gun is a good value there it's gone before many people see it. So you wont see a bunch of people standing at a table at a gun show tossing out bids to buy a gun. They simply negotiate a deal and buy it. There's no negotiations at a big auction.
And then there's the two guys with more money than knowledge. Or two guys with a burning desire to own a particular gun. These factors can drive up auction prices, where they would never go at a gun show. In fact I've often seen someone standing at a table waiting for the prospective buyer to make a deal, or walk; so he could step up if things went south. Been there myself, and missed a gun because the deal went through, or got a gun because the previous buyer walked away. That doesn't happen at auctions.

IP Logged

Ballard6

Reply #133 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 7:39am
Print Post  
The ones which sold at the highest prices were of fine condition , ones you don't see at the average gun show unless you know in advance a dealer who will bring the great ones for your consideration. One dealer in PA has done this for me and he has quality guns.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 
Send TopicPrint