Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) California Coastal Range Pig (Read 556 times)
J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

California Coastal Range Pig
Nov 3rd, 2018 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Ruger #1B 6MM Remington and a typical Westside Coastal Range good eating meat Sow.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Re: California Coastal Range Pig
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Did you whamp her with a non-lead bullet?  Last one I shot with a B-78 in 25-06 with a non-lead bullet ran off after being shot in the boiler room and my partner killed it 1/4 mile away.  Lots of good sausage there!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Tom it could have been pre-lead ban it was for me. I actually made quite a bit of smoked, ground, spicy breakfast sausage out of it. It was shot only about an hour from home in the tall country on the west side of I-580 and just south of Highway 132.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Something I always wanted to try was pig hunting. It was more reasonable when I might have driven to Ca. to do it, but now it would have to be some place further with Ca. laws.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Decades ago father of a close friend had ranch in central Cali with a good supply of Russian boars that were progeny of those that escaped from private hunting preserves. Lots of good eating from the young ones that still had their "baby stripes". Mostly they left the big ones as breeding stock.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
All though not the ranch were I shot this pig but adjacent too. My Cousin was leasing 3400 acres and running cattle on that ranch and the owner bought the property for the sole purpose of having a place for him and his son in-law to Deer hunt on. So no outside hunting was allowed and the pig population was starting to have ill affects on the Deer population so only my cousin and his partner were finally allowed to shoot pigs and coyotes who's population had also increased. Land owners had no limit on how many pigs they could kill and on a Saturday the land owner and his son in-law took a trip up and there and killed 24 and it didn't even put a dent in the overall population just on his land. Over time my cousin and his partner were able to continue to thin them out when up there checking on the cattle. When I shot my pig there were over twenty in the group coming down to the flats for the evening so I am not sure I could consider it hunting. All though the day was also spent trying to locate a wall hanging Boar to hang on my wall as well as killing a nice sow to eat.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
JL, May not be considered hunting.  From what I have read about the destructive behaviour of this invasive species, pest control is probably the proper term.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Nov 4th, 2018 at 2:57pm:
JL, May not be considered hunting.  From what I have read about the destructive behaviour of this invasive species, pest control is probably the proper term.

Yes! Pests is just what Russian Boars are more and more often called in Scandinavia and other countries near/adjacent to Germany, etc., where they were once restricted to private hunting preserves. Damage control Russian Boar hunts are more and more common.

Sometimes driven hunts can become macho events, making them rather popular for hunters that like plenty of excitement and some danger with their hunts. Visit a few Polish, Russian, etc. hunting sites for some dramatic You Tube videos.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Bob all though pests they also provide somewhat of a nature related purpose. My Cousin lost one of the Breeding Bulls / Died of presumably natural causes and within two weeks all that was left were clean and scattered bones. Between the pigs, birds and other scavenging critters nature cleaned up the entire mess and in very short order. I was actually quite amazed when looking at it where the dead bull once laid and what was left of it. Even the hide was gone either dragged off or made a meal out of? I used to go up there and help gather cattle, doctor, brand, castorate etc. Beautiful ranch but extemely steep in most areas and a real hunters paradise. The Owner had a cabin on top for that purpose and the ranch also had Elk on it the real pests they don't jump the barbed wire fencing but knock it down and the cattle would wonder off to the neighboring ranches and theirs onto his. The owner somehow felt the cattle were disturbing to the game and finally decided to no longer lease it out. My cousin and his partner had leased it for several years and didn't see it coming so it put them in a real bind by not already having another place to move their cattle too but it all worked out. The Elk herds grew to the point in that immediate area that the land owners all tbough few but their ranches quite big were getting three Elk permits each from Fish and Game and were getting $10,000.00 for each permit from hunters.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Nicely done JL. I always wanted to chase one of those critters. Sounds like good test material.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Turkey Run Car Show, I'm
buying the first round

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Something I always wanted to try was pig hunting. It was more reasonable when I might have driven to Ca. to do it, but now it would have to be some place further with Ca. laws.

First winter I moved in the hogs were using the dry canal behind my home for a highway, they did a little rooting in my backyard.
Easy laws and plenty of hogs down this way.
Never saw one with a mustache in Florida, though. Grin

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint