Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Interested in information on "supine" position (Read 2509 times)
BullardShooter
Junior Forum Member

Interested in information on "supine" position
Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Also known as the, "back position," "toes forward" or likely there are other names.  Who has done it?  Who has a rifle equipped with heel sights?  My main interest stems from the three Ross M1905-1910 Match Target rifles I own.  These are single-shot rifles with blind magazines.  For those interested, the multi-locking lug can be seen in the photo. 

I am quite curious about other's experiences or thoughts with this type of target shooting.

IP Logged

BullardShooter
Junior Forum Member

Re: Interested in information on "supine" position
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Here's a photo of the sight hoods -

IP Logged

BullardShooter
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  
In the competitive shooting these Match rifles were used in (e.g. Bisley, across the pond, a bit over 100 years ago), the barrels were taken off and weighed to insure precise compliance with regulations.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I shot backrest for many years.  I was the only one doing g it at the revival of international LR at Ottawa in 1993.

It is the most stable position under traditional rules. Prone crossed sticks make it pointless.  You have to be very careful not to crossfire.  It is a bit harder to keep track of the proper target.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I do own a Ballard Long Range #7 in .44-100 and have tried the supine, Creedmoor, or back position. There's are a few variations of this and some lay with knees bent, and the gun inside one thigh. Some use a sort of sideways laying position, and the barrel on the outside of one thigh.
I found that being on my back and shooting the latter style with the barrel on the outside of my left thigh with a right hand hold was the easiest to be comfortable and steady for me. It also is more comfortable to handle recoil on a gun in a big caliber and a heavy bullet.
Only real issue is it required me to change position a little for each round ejected and loaded. So it takes a little time to return to position after each shot.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
After shooting it for a number of years. I had an opportunity to handle my first Hepburn.  I was obvious to me ol'  LL  designed that rifle for backrest shooting.

I'm a bit surprised the 280 Ross rifles pictured are a straight as they are.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
I thought about another issue; keeping your head stable shooting long matches.  I used a string with a loop hooked around the thumb of my left hand on the forearm.  A couple heavy duty rubber bands tied to the string made it adjustable and versatile. I held it in my mouth.

Getting a spotting scope into a comfortable position can interesting.  I used two camera tripod swivel heads to flop it over so I could lean up slightly to shot and watch the wind.

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Supine is very comfortable way to shoot. A sling behind neck and around the knee and you can take a nap. I get sore back, neck and hand when shooting prone, but feel no pain after 22 minutes of back position.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

ResearchPress
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
I have historical information and some photos of current shooters in an article on my web site: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

David

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
It's interesting to note how many shooters shot the back position without using a sight mounted to the heel of the buttstock. In looking at old 1800's images of shooters at long range matches, it seems to be 50-50% using the heel sight vs. using the standard tang sight.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Thank you David, fun reading.
The silhouette pistol shooters used to use a variation of the back position when I did that stuff. I liked it a lot, but sometimes 'funny' things happened. Like the fellow that ignited the cuff of his slacks with the muzzle blast of an over loaded sheep round. And, the constant crossfires from the guys that took their eyes off the targets while reloading single shot guns. I, thankfully used revolvers, or I'd have fallen to the same mistake.   Huh

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 2:24pm:
I, thankfully used revolvers, or I'd have fallen to the same mistake.   Huh

Saw more newbies burn their legs with revolvers than single shot pistols! Didn't take long for them to realize why guys had that sheet of leather across their pant leg!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I used a sheet of rubber until a fellow claimed it aided my holding. Went to the leather and didn't see any difference at all. Same scores on average. A good revolver didn't spit too much crap at ya. Some guys got complaints from the next shooter being splattered though. Did you ever see the ball of fire come from a Contender in .35 Remington, loaded to some ridiculous level in the belief that hitting 'em harder was a good plan instead of hitting 'em in the right place? Or, a 7-08 shooting factory ammo intended for a rifle? Great fun Cool

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for posting that, David.  Quite interesting.

I found the versatility of the rubber  bands in my head support to be quite convenient.  I shot a heel sight from 200 to 1,000 yards. I crossed my legs with the knees bent slightly and my left over the right. The rifle rested in the "V" keeping  my toes in a very safe position  Grin  The recoil from a 525 gr bullet going about 1450 was much more pleasant than face forward prone or crossed sticks.

IP Logged

BullardShooter
Junior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I've enjoyed all the comments and experiences.  Very interesting.  David - thanks for the article.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint