Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Assembly Instructiuons for origional 1885 Highwall (Read 2211 times)
Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Assembly Instructiuons for origional 1885 Highwall
Nov 25th, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
I have an original 1885 Winchester Highwall action that I need assemble after reworking and case coloring. I looked all over the site and internet. Does anyone know of a detailed assembly video or instructions. Thanks Jack

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Senior Forum Member

Re: Assembly Instructiuons for origional 1885 Highwall
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
I am quite sure Frank De Haas's book, "Single Shot Rifles", has a good description on how to disassemble and assemble an original Winchester High-wall. You may be able to find that online.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks I just found a copy. I am sure it will also help with some of my other rifles.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Here is a video showing the disassembly of a flat spring model.  It shows removing the butt stock and trigger group first.  I rarely remove them and just drop the block.  With the trigger in place you need to close the lever almost all the way to slide the block out.  Same for reinserting it.  When you have the lock back in place, carefully drop it (rifle upside down) and insert the extractor.  Insert the lever/extractor pin in just far enough to hold the extractor in place as you realign the lever with the pin.  Make sure the flat spring is centered.  It should kind of click into place.

Jack

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ASSRA # 11318
Yesterday I did nothing and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday.

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks I saw that video and thanks for thanks info. I wanted to make sure I had everything in the right way.
Jack

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Captjack wrote on Nov 25th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
Thanks I saw that video and thanks for thanks info. I wanted to make sure I had everything in the right way.
Jack

Note that the video skips the tricky part: reassembly.  I've done it dozens of times, but never without having several failed & frustrating attempts at getting the block & extractor back in place.  Eventually it snaps into place, but I've never been able to figure out what I'd been dong "wrong" the previous times.  I wonder if removing the lower tang, which I don't ordinarily do, makes it any easier.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Winchester's, both high and low walls, have a firing pin retractor, so when you pull the lever down, the first thing that happens is that the firing pin retracts. So....when you go to replace the breech assembly, you need to rock the lever forward so that the pin and the hammer move forward, and then the breech will drop right in.  Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 2:00pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I put it back together but I know when I take it apart for a period of time to clean up the metal and send it to get case colored I won't remember how it goes together again without pictures and I don't want to take my low wall completely apart either without a guide. So I ordered the book for my knowledge and a guide.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Redsetter,

Having taken my collection of walls apart many dozens of times, I have a feel for getting the block and extractor in place fairly easily.  I have never had a coil spring so my experience is with flat spring actions only.   I almost always fully remove the flat spring although I have removed and reassembled the block with the flat spring fully engaged.  It is easier if the lower tang is removed but I prefer to not do that unless I plan a complete cleaning and re-lubing.  With the lower tang in place, the key is to get the block and hammer to fully seat and functioning before inserting the extractor.  You can tell when they are fully inserted fairly easily.  Then carefully withdraw the block just enough to slip the head of the extractor past the bottom of the barrel so it can seat normally when you lower the block (I do this with the action upside down so you are technically raising the block). Then lift the block a bit to get the extractor lining up with the pin hole and insert the pin just far enough to hold the extractor in place while you line up the block with the pin.  Piece of cake once you have done it a hundred times or so.  If you do remove the lower tang just make sure the seat ends up on the correct side of the knock off. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Yesterday I did nothing and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
I have both of Campbells "The Winchester Single- Shot" books Volumes I and II and there is quite a bit of information on how to remove and replace as well as how to do other work misc. gunsmithing work and all though not cheap there is a wealth of information on the single shots history and well worth it if in the budget.

JLouis

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
The books are quite expensive but I have heard as you stated that they are worth it. I will be looking to get them in the future.

Jack

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
bpjack and JL are correct here about the job of assembling one of these rifles. I'd been doing it for quite a while before I bought Campbell's first book when it came out. Voila! Still learned a trick or two to ease the way. And, the history and diagrams and pretty or rare rifles is terrific too. The second book carries on from the first, but if you only get one, make it the earlier book.
I usually remove the tang when I dismantle, like he said, it's easier for me to work in there then. But, I'm a fanatic about keeping the trigger and knockoffs lubed and clean.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Jack,
If it's any solace, I've built a couple of highwalls from scratch, a few from castings, pieced several from original parts, taught and presently teaching a class on building them.  If I take a sabbatical from the HW/LW and dabble with another make for a stretch, I must be somewhat retarded because when I go back to them, I have to relearn assembly and disassembly all over again.  Go slow, pay attention to detail - don't force anything- done right they come apart and go together easy. 
Campbell's first book is definitely the best book to have, a few show up now and then for a reasonable price (less than $200) and if you don't yet, he can make you appreciate the 1885 design.
Regards,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"To anger a conservative, lie to him - to anger a liberal, tell him the truth"  Teddy R.

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Greg
Thanks for your thoughts on the HW/LW's I have always liked single shot rifles. the 1885's and Martinies are some of my favorites. I finally found a HW that I could afford it needs some work but most of the project guns I have built needed work. I will find the books at some point. I really appriciate your thoughts.

Jack

IP Logged

Captjack
Junior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Don't know if you guys are a good or bad influence but I just bought Campbell's the 1st book. It was a slow day at work so I was surfing Ebay found one for $199.95 or make an offer. I offered her $175.00 and she took it. I guess it was an early Christmas present to myself. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. I know I will enjoy the book.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint